• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch 2021

liuzhou

14 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

good Costco fish sticks

Please tell me more.  Photo maybe?

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

3 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

Thank you I need to find out if they are available at Costco in Canada. I will add them to my list and the next person who goes to Costco will be charged was looking for them. 

• Like 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

On 7/21/2021 at 6:24 PM, Anna N said:

Thank you I need to find out if they are available at Costco in Canada. I will add them to my list and the next person who goes to Costco will be charged was looking for them. 

I checked the manufacturer's site, and apparently the Ultimate Fish Stick isn't sold in Canada.

• Sad 4

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

Greek is great, but Turkish is terrific, too.

Roasted aubergine-sweet pepper salad topped with lamb mince (kebab seasoning).

4TF29yi.jpg

Meatballs, dolmas, and buffalo's milk feta.

ERsjGdr.jpg

Tahini-chickpea puree

Nnk3q6R.jpg

Quark wth honey

Ez2J2h5.jpg

An Arabic saying which refers to the bond that is built between people based on respect through eating together.

vYznOYw.jpg

Sunday afternoon coffee before Turkish dinner.

rGOZ0VL.jpg

Turkish honeycomb. Good to have a big Turkish community here. Love checking out all the mesmerising Turkish things in the supermarkets.

stvC1Ue.jpg

A new batch of dumplings

vLE6iaj.jpg

Ml4csvy.jpg

vsXNyKr.jpg

• Like 10
  • Delicious 2

Even though we're not going anywhere this year, it's vacation time, which means I can have more interesting lunches than my normal weekday fare....

PXL_20210726_172811661.thumb.jpg.d585b813377f113baf4113cf52b5af78.jpg

Duck dry-noodles (not in soup) with maitake, gai lan.  Made with a peking-ish duck stock...

• Like 6
  • Delicious 1

13 minutes ago, heidih said:

Nice dish, great bowl. What is that above the bowl. Intrigues me.

It's an antique that my grandmother got somewhere.  It's a bronze statue by a Japanese artist from the Meiji period - you can see the front of it here:

Living in a small apartment, we have very few collectables or knick-knacks, but when my mother moved out of the house, this was the one thing I wanted.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KennethT said:

It's an antique that my grandmother got somewhere.  It's a bronze statue by a Japanese artist from the Meiji period - you can see the front of it here:

Living in a small apartment, we have very few collectables or knick-knacks, but when my mother moved out of the house, this was the one thing I wanted.

A great positive energy keep. Thanks.

4 hours ago, weinoo said:

You gotta take home the carcass of a roast or Peking duck, preferably from Peking Duck House!

In my head, I somewhat came up with a more complex recipe/story … 😜 

(but at the end, if it is, it is good !)

6 hours ago, Duvel said:

In my head, I somewhat came up with a more complex recipe/story … 😜 

(but at the end, if it is, it is good !)

I wish I could say that it was some stroke of brilliance, but no - @weinoo was dead on - except the carcass came from Wu's Wonton King, not Peking Duck House.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Another we have veggies to use up, what can we make them them.  Well potatoes and red pepper + more = HASH!

I found the linked recipe from googling for ideas.  We added an egg and zucchini to the recipe list and it was SO GOOD.

20210731_114034.thumb.jpg.252784cf3b571f72b5500027e465e8cf.jpg 

• Like 3

Mung bean noodles with prawns and Vietnamese-style fish sauce.

LpTqU6k.jpg

Carrot wrap/"tortilla" with broad bean-beetroot puree and fried egg.

Zx0E7dn.jpg

Tinned butter beans and lots of cheese

I1qDLKl.jpg

Aguachile of raw scallops

hxZyMKp.jpg

Same as above but with rhubarb and beetroot.

lg4Hxa4.jpg

YnL0h3X.jpg

• Like 6
  • Delicious 1

20 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

Pork belly burnt ends and pineapple kimchi sandwich with just a smear of gochujang mayo on a take-and-bake roll from TJ's

Oh wow. That takes my breath away. 

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog