• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch 2021

liuzhou

@BonVivant – thank you for the interesting link re: the china.  Now, of course, I’m on the hunt for a reasonably priced jug. 🙄😄

@patti– I really like the looks of your creamy pasta salad.  I would even ignore the peas in order to have some! 😁

Mr. Kim smoked 4 pork butts and yesterday we spent half the day delivering some to his staff that has really been so wonderful this past year.  We got lunch at our favorite hamburger stand, Roy’s Big Burger.  It’s been around over 50 years and is still fantastic:

IMG_5674.jpg.efc485f831489a27c10b9ddd2ca224b8.jpg

IMG_5673.jpg.0f419be37aac9509225f9777621cc7e3.jpg

Man, I love a griddled burger and they have the best fries in town!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 2

Ham and pepper jack with arugula on toasted seedy bread. The guac is from Fresh Market, and spicy.

1A27CD55-55D1-46A8-B81B-7F0EDC369469.jpeg.7bc37564cdc125e9da791a1cea5b7122.jpeg

Edited by patti (log)
  • Like 9
  • Delicious 2

Dear Food: I hate myself for loving you.

12 hours ago, liuzhou said:

Fish in a tomato broth with kelp (Japanese: 昆布 (konbu) often rendered as 'kombu' in the west; Chinese: 海带 (hǎi dài), literally 'sea belt'.

539434771__20210423140552.thumb.jpg.c1d7bbe29e5c6640353196d49f2e408f.jpg

Your soup looks like comfort food to me. We treasure our kelp here. For ecosytem value as well as good eats. https://wildlife.ca.gov/Conservation/Marine/Kelp/Commonly-Harvested-Marine-Algae

@patti – good looking sandwich!  I always forget that sandwich toast should be less “toasted” than toast-toast and end up with roof-of-mouth injuries.  Yours looks perfect.

@BonVivant – what course is that gorgeous ricotta thing meant for?

Mr. Kim had a free Yelp pizza from &Pizza – so, lunch:

IMG_5682.jpg.2b356dbc5e48cedf9588d83128883538.jpg

This is the “Buffy” with tomato sauce, mozz, grilled onion, garlic puree, arugula and banana peppers on his side. 

Yesterday after church we had another pharmacy lunch counter meal.  I had a Sailor and fries.  A Sailor sandwich, which claims to be a hometown (Richmond VA) invention, is a grilled pastrami, Swiss, and split knockwurst sandwich.  I have to say that I never saw it until coming to Richmond for college in 1978 and I don’t think I’ve seen it on menus outside of this area:

IMG_5692.thumb.jpg.02bb72ca3b96ee922fbb9b3c6b82f5b1.jpg

I always forget that they have those battered fries, which I don’t like a lot.  I always expect to get crinkle cuts there.  They just SEEM like a crinkle cut kind of place.  Good sandwich, though.  Not piled as high as some places:

IMG_5693.thumb.jpg.3da9cbb67cc8ca12db8b98016f16f80e.jpg

…but I actually prefer a sandwich that fits in my mouth.  Mr. Kim had the tuna salad:

IMG_5694.thumb.jpg.c77699e5818aea66d711d18f751cbfc8.jpg

We are so lucky to have access to TWO old-style lunch counters.  The south may be deli/diner deficient, but we do cafes and lunch counters very well. 

I made some soup today to have on hand for the week.  Camille Glenn’s Quick Tomato Consommé is a favorite of ours and incredibly easy:

IMG_5708.jpg.4d3e983b772453f50c36024ed7a71c5a.jpg

It is just V8 juice, canned beef consommé, water, a celery stalk, parsley, a few onion slices, and a bay leaf.  All in the saucepan, brought to a boil and simmered for 15 minutes.  Then you strain the soup.  That’s it!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 3

Made soup with the ham bone - lots of vegetables: parsnip, carrots, leeks, celery, canned corn and white kidney beans, plus a couple of spoonfuls of leftover scalloped taters.
Good and filling lunch to fuel me for working in the yard!

1654929940_HamBoneSoup3906.jpg.bddb910dc5422a25c1f02a78e65e01c8.jpg

• Like 6
  • Delicious 1

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

515215550_Friedriceshrimpandchicken04-30.thumb.jpeg.df0e0ff78a5d3e9378af3fd6f737f4a1.jpeg

Saved a little bit of the chicken breast and 2 or 3 shrimp from the other dishes they were going into. And made this shrimp and chicken fried rice for lunch yesterday. With peas, scallions and chives.

Edited by weinoo (log)
  • Like 9

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

A mash up between the Tuna Mayonnaise, sort of... from the lunch section of Max Halley's Max's Sandwich Book, which features a chunked pork chop on a mini ciabatta dressed with tuna-mayo (a super simple tonnato enhanced with the pork's resting  juices), parsley and potato chips AND Lady & Pups Pork Chop with Tuna-Sando Sauce (my favorite version of tonnato) which she serves not as a sandwich at all but with a dusting of chili flakes fried bay leaves, garlic and green olives. 

1806668879_IMG_3827(1).thumb.jpeg.d7dab8798082b06b48fe8cd9a7a925dd.jpeg

I retrieved a sous vide chop from the freezer, seared it off, sliced it up,  piled it on a baguette spread top and bottom with tuna-sando sauce plus parsley, Castelvetrano olives and French fried onions instead of the potato chips.  I had some pickled Fresno chiles that I meant to include but forgot.  I didn't miss them but am curious what they might have added. It was delish and met my expectations, which were high.

Max says, "There will be loads of mayo left, but there should be.  Have the same thing tomorrow."  

So, I have a chance to rectify the forgotten Fresnos and to try this on focaccia, which is generally Max's sandwich bread of choice. 

• Like 6
  • Delicious 4

Whole smoked herring is the best. I am glad most people scoff at it, that means it'll remain cheap and more for me. So much umami, like butter from the sea.

pz7F0Sp.jpg

OtxCKU5.jpg

So far every whole one I got in the spring came with roe. The first thing I eat when I cut it open.

TGbL9gr.jpg

It's a different @Shelby🤠

paKKpcI.jpg

DIY wheat noodles

p3VvN6s.jpg

Lamb's liver in square bowl for me.

tF28MRN.jpg

First test batch crumpets

HxKApEf.jpg

FZImMDc.jpg

No more nice spring weather since this. We sat on our tiny patch of lawn in the back garden eating these.

69WvY9g.jpg

Forgot this one last week. Rollmöpse/Rollmops.

8nGqsmB.jpg

mHiXVc0.jpg

On 4/25/2021 at 9:50 PM, gfweb said:

@BonVivant 

is that a steam combination oven?

No, it's a compact oven with microwave function (and many more). The model with steam function has a water reservoir separately, on either side of the oven. Mine looks pretty nice without it. I do all the steaming* in a cabin after swimming, at home it's on the gas hob (with ginger and soy sauce etc).  (*A different kind of steaming...)

S2K1p4c.jpg

On 4/26/2021 at 10:33 PM, Kim Shook said:

@BonVivant – what course is that gorgeous ricotta thing meant for?

No "course". Just straight up with a spoon.

Thanks!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 4

19 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

Max says, "There will be loads of mayo left, but there should be.  Have the same thing tomorrow."  

So, I have a chance to rectify the forgotten Fresnos and to try this on focaccia, which is generally Max's sandwich bread of choice. 

IMG_3843.thumb.jpeg.33ff11c1f973d4d6ed4f3e123059e2d8.jpeg

The pickled Fresnos were a good addition.  I toasted the focaccia and it was a bit too crispy but not bad at all. 

• Like 3
  • Delicious 1

1 hour ago, BonVivant said:

So far every whole one I got in the spring came with roe. The first thing I eat when I cut it open

This is great.

Nice spread of food.  Where's it all sourced from?

• Like 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

2 hours ago, BonVivant said:

Whole smoked herring is the best. I am glad most people scoff at it, that means it'll remain cheap and more for me. So much umami, like butter from the sea.

They certainly aren't scoffed at in the UK. Kippers and bloaters are cold smoked herring; the former are gutted but the latter are not. Buckling are whole herring, gutted apart from roe or milt and then hot smoked.

I love me a kipper or bloater for breakfast.

• Like 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Combo of leftovers from different dinners. Enchiladas and fried grits. Because of the way they were stored, I didn’t have pretty grit cakes. Crispy, fried grit lumps taste pretty good, though!

47A45020-845A-49D5-B615-F56B8CDEE910.thumb.jpeg.bd50cf95e35c06d678a66cc54f9ced93.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Delicious 1

Dear Food: I hate myself for loving you.

I intended to make Ma Po Tofu Spaghetti, an Andrea Nguyen recipe that appeared in the NYT a while back but all of a sudden, I got hangry so I pivoted to a classic quick meal with this Bucatini with Canned Sardines & Capers from David Kinch's new book, At Home in the Kitchen.

IMG_3844.thumb.jpeg.921abb1778733793aa7b2b9359677fb4.jpeg

He says this pairs well with "Too Much Time" by Captain Beefheart and His Magic Band so I queued it up and had to laugh at the "can of sardines" reference!

• Like 7
  • Delicious 1
  • Haha 2

13 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

Ma Po Tofu Spaghetti

I love mapo tofu with pasta/noodles, it's a nice variation which I often make with leftover mapo tofu. Not sure about spaghetti as the pasta shape, IMO a wider noodle or a short pasta works better.

• Thanks 1

~ Shai N.

14 hours ago, heidih said:

@blue_dolphin what are your sardines of choice

Yesterday, I had two types in the cupboard.  

IMG_3848.jpeg.437b0af0d09a7f3033b2c479dc191318.jpeg

Fancy Spanish and cheap Trader Joe's.  Since these were going to get thoroughly mashed (and because Kinch's header notes refer to them as, "a delicacy in a $2.00 can), I went with the cheap ones. 

1 hour ago, shain said:

I love mapo tofu with pasta/noodles, it's a nice variation which I often make with leftover mapo tofu. Not sure about spaghetti as the pasta shape, IMO a wider noodle or a short pasta works better.

I agree on going with a shorter pasta.  This particular recipe actually came to my attention when Dan Pashman recommended it as an excellent recipe for his cascatelli pasta which is a short, ridged, curly shape.  Since that stuff is currently backordered 12 weeks 😮 I'll be using another shape!

• Like 2

When I see lovely daikon, i want Tang Yuen - with re-hydrated dried shrimp, Chinese sausage, daikon, cilantro.

1744068983_SavoryTangYuen3929.jpg.15114541d4fb40d922b3b0d0427b1a19.jpg

1814460448_TangYuen3930.jpg.ba00e24a6fb49d63675ef8070930ed30.jpg                    

They really stick to your ribs!

• Like 5

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com