• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch 2021

liuzhou

Yesterday was our day to make and take lunches to the shelters.  We stopped for lunch afterwards at one of our favorite places: a local pharmacy lunch counter.  They had widely spaced tables outside and no one was eating at them.  So, we sat down at a table not our own for the first time in about a year!  I had a Patty Melt and fries:

IMG_5623.jpg.6cc8e9f81c808c8f50a6ee769ddfe3ed.jpg

Mr. Kim had the club:

IMG_5624.jpg.7bf79f608f7ce87b2705dc7d1605f879.jpg

Everything was delicious, as always.  And it was so nice not to eat on our knees in our little Hyundai.

• Like 9
  • Delicious 4

Last of the clams

c3E5r15.jpg

Calf's liver fried with onions. I like it with raw Sauerkraut and with or without bread.

4W77QiJ.jpg

Iconic North German beach chair on label

xWMWJbS.jpg

On 4/13/2021 at 8:45 PM, Kim Shook said:

I have to comment on your china.  It is just exquisite. 

Kim, thank you!

It's a classic design by a German porcelain manufacturer in Meissen, Germany. This translated article has all the background story. This particular series is called ("Saxon Blue"/"Sächsische Blau").

I9X4XFo.jpg

fyZreXP.jpg

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2
  • Delicious 1

Scotch Broth from a lamb shoulder:

856109139_ScothBroth3798.jpg.5d0fbfb6c6030c47ede9dedd6763a09e.jpg

• Like 4
  • Delicious 1

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

20 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

@Franci do you roast your duck legs on top of the potatoes?

Yes! I use this very heavy roasting pan that I bought at Costco almost 20 years ago, I have a round rack that fits perfectly and it sits tall enough that potatoes have some room

362D3DF1-8BF3-44EE-ABB3-98A96A8CF3D1.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Delicious 1

10 minutes ago, Franci said:

Yes! I use this very heavy roasting pan that I bought at Costco almost 20 years ago, I have a round rack that fits perfectly and it sits tall enough that potatoes have some room

Sorry, another question:  do you parboil your potatoes first?

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

10 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Sorry, another question:  do you parboil your potatoes first?

I did this time because I added the potatoes later toward the end of cooking  so I just wanted to cook them faster...but I don’t think it’s actually necessary when I cook with a roast. The end result is more of a soft potato. Differently if I am cooking potatoes on their own on cast iron or blue steel. In that case, I always parboil drain well, dry with a towel or paper, preheat the pan, then add oil and potatoes and roast. Also with a roast I alway go with yellow potatoes and if I roast the potatoes on their own more often I use russet or Idaho. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

12 hours ago, Franci said:

11 hours ago, Franci said:

I did this time because I added the potatoes later toward the end of cooking  so I just wanted to cook them faster...but I don’t think it’s actually necessary when I cook with a roast. The end result is more of a soft potato. Differently if I am cooking potatoes on their own on cast iron or blue steel. In that case, I always parboil drain well, dry with a towel or paper, preheat the pan, then add oil and potatoes and roast. Also with a roast I alway go with yellow potatoes and if I roast the potatoes on their own more often I use russet or Idaho. 

I hope you don't mind another couple of questions! Do you normally put the potatoes under the rack and the duck (or whatever) on top of the rack, or does it all go atop the rack? This time, when you added the potatoes later toward the end of cooking, did you still put them under the duck and maybe the rack?

• Like 2

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

A lunch reminiscent of late night after-party refueling when I was in my 20s 😉

Döner Kebap, purchased just outside of the gates of our company, eaten sitting in the car listening to Incubus ...

3311D3CB-4935-4DDF-81DA-A88CDBA0F0C4.thumb.jpeg.213f84e53a1fba65474ea3178c52f62c.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 2
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Duvel said:

A lunch reminiscent of late night after-party refueling when I was in my 20s 😉

Döner Kebap, purchased just outside of the gates of our company, eaten sitting in the car listening to Incubus ...

3311D3CB-4935-4DDF-81DA-A88CDBA0F0C4.thumb.jpeg.213f84e53a1fba65474ea3178c52f62c.jpeg

Incubus!  Blast from the past!

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, rotuts said:

@Duvel 

nice

always nice

what is the wrapper ?

You mean the bread ? Thats a toasted pita bread. The turkish ones here are a bit fluffier that middle eastern pita and get toasted in a contact grill prior to be stuffed with meat & veggies ...

• Delicious 1

20 hours ago, Smithy said:

I hope you don't mind another couple of questions! Do you normally put the potatoes under the rack and the duck (or whatever) on top of the rack, or does it all go atop the rack? This time, when you added the potatoes later toward the end of cooking, did you still put them under the duck and maybe the rack?

@Smithy, sure I don’t mind.  I put the potatoes under the rack and the duck on top. I normally start only with the roast for the fist 20 minutes so the duck, chicken, whatever I am roasting gets a nice color and start dripping some fat (I also add a little bit of water or stock and also some wine sometimes at the bottom so the oil doesn’t burn and it doesn’t produce too much smoke). First 20 minutes at 410-420F, I take out the pan from the oven, carefully remove the rack with the help of a tong and add the potatoes shaking them well in the fat, put the roast back and lower the temperature to 400. At the end, when I take out the meat and let rest, I might broil slightly the potatoes if necessary 

Edited by Franci (log)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, rotuts said:

@Paul Bacino 

is that celery on the spoon ?

just asking .  trying to be polite.

RT.

That is Pickled celery.. I use it for my Olive salad!!

So  cracked green olives/olive brine/ red wine vinegar or cider/  oil/ celery bites/ capers/ oragano or Italian seasoning.  I'll add other things but this is usually the base

Edited by Paul Bacino (log)
  • Like 3

Its good to have Morels

23 hours ago, rotuts said:

@Paul Bacino 

Ill light a candle.

I know you don’t like celery and I would be the last person to try and persuade you to change your mind but I do know that pickled celery was an eye-opener for me. Not a life changer but an eye-opener. 

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

i do like the flavo(u)r of celery

I do not care for the stems consistency 

when cooked , etc.

celery leaves , fresh are very nice.

although picked celery stalk might be so much better 

than celery stalk  ' "" in the soup ""

Ill pass , 

as I can think of more interesting things 

in the ' Pickle '

but Ill try it if I see it

as long as its on sale.

after all

its not GBP's

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Haha 3

On 4/21/2021 at 11:16 AM, Paul Bacino said:

Basta/Sugo/Olive salad/Spring Peas

Well of all the ingredients in your salad, Paul, it’s the pickled celery that is creating a stir. Care to let us in on your pickling method?

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog