• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch 2021

liuzhou

4 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

A childhood lunch:

IMG_5414.jpg.907c25fc9263feade36b2c5306f9733c.jpg

My mother almost never ate a whole sandwich at home.  It was always a "foldover".  The bread wasn't cut - sandwich was made flat and then...folded over itself.  I wonder if other families do this.  Mr. Kim hadn't ever heard of a fold over.  I've converted him, though.  Now, when he's just a little hungry, he'll make himself a foldover.  Served with a couple of sweet petites and chippy-dip.  

I don't think we called it a "foldover" or had any other special name for it, but you reminded me that when I was a child we did that a lot. Peanut butter and margarine, or bologna and margarine, or even margarine coated with sugar. Yum! (Suppers were much more balanced and healthful. 😎)

• Like 2

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

First BBQ of the year (after starting this year’s “garden maintenance season”) ...

Bratwurst, marinated pork collar and chicken thigh skewers

E5843210-AB14-4FA0-BA90-415DA2612BCD.thumb.jpeg.22ea80884f3a7e0b1d4d267a639972bd.jpeg

Served with pasta salad, pesto tomatoes and herb butter baguette 

C3D79E97-494D-40DB-953D-FB57A3AE3FC2.thumb.jpeg.be485dfaccf4539daed73808750e8b27.jpeg

And I found some nice beers to go with and assist with the subsequent nap ...

FF7789EE-1C26-4D54-AE07-A56677BEADB0.thumb.jpeg.fc0db308bfefd8a2502b6bd591da6b82.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Delicious 2

Not sure I have ever contributed to this thread, not because I do not eat lunch but it is typically not noteworthy.    Today it was both appealing to the eye and taste buds - leftovers repurposed!

903074AF-59C6-4072-91C1-276B8EB83A09.thumb.jpeg.7c0b1c4b24fdfdbfdee3f375bb871918.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Delicious 2

Everything is loaded with ginger and dried shimp in this meal.

Pointed cabbage.

Y9DhDDM.jpg

Tomato-scramble egg soup

vvfhcft.jpg

Fried taukwa tofu, flavoured with home-made chilli oil.

89eQtUn.jpg

Nice Gose

ul5T6Af.jpg

On 3/22/2021 at 5:59 PM, lemniscate said:

Raw sauerkraut is just kraut right out of the crock/jar that is still fermenting.  Heating kraut kills the probiotics and the kraut is no longer considered raw.

Yes, exactly. Thank you.

On 3/22/2021 at 8:00 PM, Duvel said:

Sauerkraut baked with potatoes in a casserole is a common dish (as both ingredients are widespread and popular, so are all their linear combinations). There is a lasagna-type dish layering Sauerkraut, mashed potatoes and Leberwurst

And some more preps that I know of:

Krautkrapfen (roll in dough and then bake or steam. Can be layered like lasagne)

Soup, gulyash/gulasch, casseroles, stews, to fill potato dumplings, strudel, pancakes, Bratlingen/puffer (fritters), Kuchen (bake like a cake or tart) and so on.

I love Sauerkraut cuisines!

• Like 7
  • Delicious 2

Corned beef and provolone on toasted Dave’s Good Seed bread. The store was out of seeded rye, and I prefer seedy bread. The corned beef is not homemade. 

Maggie in the background, trying not to look interested. 

0BDA7C65-E3EA-43C8-AFAD-38F1391DD6B7.jpeg.ac2d99a9a9ccb79009c9dd9db1b9b550.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Dear Food: I hate myself for loving you.

Power went off just before I got home from work last night so I never got a chance to finish the cake that I started yesterday morning.
I baked the cake for a Boston Cream Pie and made the custard before leaving for work and had intended to assemble when I got home.
189503595_BostonCreamPieMarch29th20213.thumb.jpg.0943b172960beb5aeed63b5cd8f70d3c.jpg

So I finished it this morning.
Let the cake and custard meld for a few hours before cutting.
359278479_BostonCreamPieMarch29th20215.thumb.jpg.1d0a90d0d257bb00987e6ae142a093b9.jpg

Moe had a piece for lunch. 
This is a favourite recipe that I've been making for over 40 years 
Edited by Ann_T (log)
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 3

@Ann_T's cake and @Kim Shookcheese toast have my mouth watering!

Made Hungarian Mushroom Soup for lunch yesterday. Should have kept it for tomorrow when we are expecting blizzard like conditions.

2047956351_HungarianMushroomSoup4415.jpg.9728d51f003869899dd1ce032eb9b978.jpg

Had picked up Poblano peppers last week and forgot about them.  Roasted, peeled and made stuffed peppers / sorta chili relleno for brunch today. Stuffing was diced ham and shredded Habanero cheese mix.

1854645364_ChiliRelleno3670.jpg.d94a0735ce176e14ed4ed043355a6330.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

2 hours ago, robirdstx said:

961754F2-A132-45FF-BDF3-620104F58DB0.thumb.jpeg.06ce59efc1cde3fea3d9cabd0a43ad25.jpeg

Salad - Spring Mix with Spinach, English Cucumber, Grape Tomatoes, Button Mushroom, Black Olives, Green Onion, Chopped Hard Cooked Egg and homemade Russian Dressing

I love Russian dressing.  I had forgotten how good it is until I made some recently for making Rueben sandwiches. 

• Like 2

Took myself out to lunch....well take-out...and ordered a crispy soft shell crab po'boy

IMG_3732.thumb.jpeg.4f46f1a7e53fdece25a6a6d169668fe9.jpeg

Edited to add that I considered posting this over in the Ladies Who Lunch thread but it's not exactly a ladylike sandwich is it?

Here's a link to the photo the restaurant posted on Instagram this am which lured me in:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CNFqcZdgC1a/ 

Edited by blue_dolphin (log)
  • Like 7
  • Delicious 5
  • Haha 1

Woke up with a hankering for Lahmacun. Found some minced lamb in the freezer. Done 🥳

Had a two dough discs surplus, so these were just dusted with sumac and some cheese.

A2E52BC0-9ED0-4D3B-8576-4BD154DB06C5.thumb.jpeg.7a02a0bc8fc8299ab5a01ceb978e156f.jpeg

Chopped up what veggies I found in the fridge.

5CB4028D-3536-4FA8-B7C2-7A07F056FD90.thumb.jpeg.a54d3c099087404c5759e6513cc2ecad.jpeg

Enjoyed outside with a cold (alcoholfree) beer, before taking a nap 🤗

EDDDCF89-6D11-4E96-A482-8F6607F7BB8E.thumb.jpeg.3e840222ab78aecd18d7fbe259ff08b4.jpeg

Edited by Duvel (log)
  • Like 9
  • Delicious 1

2 hours ago, Duvel said:

Woke up with a hankering for Lahmacun

@Kerry Bealand I found a restaurant serving this but unfortunately they make it with beef not lamb. Sad. 

• Like 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

7 minutes ago, patti said:

I woke up with a hankering to be thin and rich. 😬  Actually, I’d be satisfied with thin. 

Oh that is upside down. Rich = travel, culture, possibilities w/o restrictions. Thin = ? Can not do a wink as keyboard still messing with me

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

19 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

I woke up with a hankering for Laphroaig.

As someone who dealt over years with phenols, their derivatives and more than one ancient synthetic approach towards them, I just can’t stand the über-peated whiskys ... 

Now - a nice Speyside one for breakfast is a different animal altogether 🤗

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Duvel said:

As someone who dealt over years with phenols, their derivatives and more than one ancient synthetic approach towards them, I just can’t stand the über-peated whiskys ... 

Now - a nice Speyside one for breakfast is a different animal altogether 🤗

Tastes vary.

(That's the second time I've typed that sentence today.)

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

58 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

Tastes vary.

(That's the secind time I've typed that sentence today.)

They do - hence I included my short history of suffering, in order not to diminute your hankerings. Let’s agree that you and me plus two bottles of fine scotch (one of which could possibly be Laphroaig) would make a fine breakfast, lunch and possibly dinner feast. I’ll bring the boudin d’oignons, you the Hunan blood sausage and we are all set ...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

16 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

Took myself out to lunch....well take-out...and ordered a crispy soft shell crab po'boy

IMG_3732.thumb.jpeg.4f46f1a7e53fdece25a6a6d169668fe9.jpeg

Edited to add that I considered posting this over in the Ladies Who Lunch thread but it's not exactly a ladylike sandwich is it?

Here's a link to the photo the restaurant posted on Instagram this am which lured me in:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CNFqcZdgC1a/ 

I have been coming back to this picture all day.  I've shown it to Mr. Kim and we even watched the Instagram video.  Can't wait for soft shell season in VA!

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

I have been coming back to this picture all day.  I've shown it to Mr. Kim and we even watched the Instagram video.  Can't wait for soft shell season in VA!

It was really good.  He's got the soft shell crabs on the menu as an a la carte item and I'm seriously tempted to order again but 2 decadent meals in holy week doesn't seem right!

• Haha 1