• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch 2021

liuzhou

57 minutes ago, rotuts said:

@jimb0 

like the .gif !

Yes it is brilliant. I thought it existed but my vision is very challenging at the moment but I wasn’t comfortable saying anything in case I was hallucinating. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, rotuts said:

@jimb0 

like the .gif !

i want to do more of them where appropriate; i feel like there's a real niche here that's being underserved on the internet. i don't watch a ton of videos unless it's to learn something, and where appropriate that little bit of video can really make something stand out (i mean, steaming hot food is pretty appealing). 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We first made this ~20 years ago, it was the first high end dish I ever made - served it to my wife's grandmother (she was around 80 at the time, turning 100 this summer)

https://www.emerils.com/125224/wasabi-crusted-salmon-orange-ginger-sauce

I remember the taste - this is SO SO SO good.  The sauce does have restaurant levels of butter in it though.

Wasabi Crusted Salmon With Orange Ginger Sauce:

20210306_123716.thumb.jpg.237a4cd9278fc5773c0376fabe1c153b.jpg

Edited by Raamo (log)
  • Like 8
  • Delicious 1

A good friend had a hernia operation down in her diaphragm a week ago. Had been on pureed food until now, and was craving for some wonton soup and congee with pickerel and ginger.. So I did up a care package or two and delivered it to her house - no-contact delivery, of course. She can keep some out for supper and lunch tomorrow and the rest will go into her freezer.

1667223951_Carepackages3438.jpg.60f2616dea142d1d23dbbe1d6a07aa84.jpg

There was still some congee and several wontons left, but not enough of each to make a complete serving for each of us at home. So I threw the wontons into the congee, added century egg, fuyu, pork floss, pickled radish, and voila! a new combo for Al Yankovic's Wong Way Kitchen! 🤪

"Hello, Welcome to Wong Way Kitchen.

I take your order please? I highly recommend the combo #5!

Yeah!

• Combo 1,2, ah 3,4,5
  • Everybody loves Chinese steamed or fried,
  • from the Chinese restaurant around the corner,
  • so you say you want some won-ton soup, I’ll bring your order

138760911_WontonCongee3441.jpg.fcfdf5e12cad24629faaede72752e91f.jpg
Edited by Dejah (log)
  • Like 9
  • Delicious 3
  • Haha 2

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

4 hours ago, scamhi said:

A big salad yesterday for 3 for lunch. added leftover burger and a mustard, sherry vinegar vinaigrette

63674787691__E856D49D-064F-410B-9378-48E1682095BB-preview.jpg

and here are the gifs of the burgers cooking. old dog, new trick

ezgif-burger cooking.gif

886846715_ezgif-cookingsecondside.gif

• Like 3

tamales.thumb.jpg.16d50ee9fe3a68eddc87b57eb7304981.jpg

Tamales, picked up on the way home from church when I noticed the place I was going to stop and get a salad is now a pizza place that offers "Delta tamales." They're not the best I've had, but are the best I've found in a hundred miles or so. Topped with chili, cheese, black olives and sour cream. Chaser of Rolaids.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Thai stir fry with nam prik pao and Thai basil.  This really reminded me of simple stir fries I've had in Thailand. I need to do more stuff like this - it's delicious but quick and easy.

00100trPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20210307125612039_COVER.thumb.jpg.693f0db5cf4e0e53a8b6c7727eb97c33.jpg

Edited by KennethT (log)
  • Like 6
  • Delicious 2

On 3/7/2021 at 5:04 PM, KennethT said:

Thai stir fry with nam prik pao and Thai basil.  This really reminded me of simple stir fries I've had in Thailand. I need to do more stuff like this - it's delicious but quick and easy.

00100trPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20210307125612039_COVER.thumb.jpg.693f0db5cf4e0e53a8b6c7727eb97c33.jpg

this looks drool worthy

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

IMG_3737.thumb.jpeg.0894f8e397317da3441f9e63f8cd741c.jpeg

All this talk of cabbage and whaddya know? A head of cabbage in the fridge met its demise via coleslaw and the above stir fry which was lunch today.

Beef, red pepper, jalapeño, celery, carrot, CABBAGE, ginger, garlic, scallions, chili paste, soy, Shaoxing, chicken stock, vinegar, Szechuan pepper.

• Like 5
  • Delicious 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Semolina pancakes

RHSedom.jpg

Pumpernickel, scrambled eggs and shrimps.

TklTAzq.jpg

Red cabbage tossed in gherkin brine. And German beer alongside.

dcjbybj.jpg

On 3/7/2021 at 10:00 PM, rotuts said:

how did you manage

"" Anchr "" in your area ?

Just askinf

in days od Yore

Anchor Steam used to be quite nice.

I got Anchor again yesterday. One bottle shop near me still sells these particular 2. I also like the nice labels.

mfPjhIe.jpg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, BonVivant said:

I got Anchor again yesterday. One bottle shop near me still sells these particular 2. I also like the nice labels.

Enjoy those labels while you can.

Tasty Travails - My Blog

Cantonese BBQ duck from the freezer:  Whenever I offer hubby a list of additions for congee and ask what he'd like, He simply answers"Yes".
So fully dressed it is, again!

Duck congee with duck, Century egg, fuyu, chili radish, and cruller.

385994625_DuckCongee3507.jpg.db9fd453527781d42e4d68431fcb173c.jpg

• Like 2

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

4 hours ago, weinoo said:

Enjoy those labels while you can.

1 hour ago, Katie Meadow said:

Yes. It seems like a major misstep redesigning those labels. The new ones are cheesy looking.

I wish they could leave well enough alone.  Those labels are iconic.

• Like 1

Tasty Travails - My Blog

IMG_3755.thumb.jpeg.f0d610e36d20d3a844270518e24a8319.jpeg

Salad with house-pickled shrimp, celery and onions. House-made Orawasher's seeded rye, to my taste still one of the best classic NY rye breads around. They only make the real deal corn rye on weekends.

• Like 4
  • Delicious 2

Tasty Travails - My Blog

So many wonderful and elegant lunches!  I've never been a three meals a day person (I tend to make up the missed third meal in snacks) and lately I've been having a late breakfast and dinner.  Yesterday I had all three.  Lunch was Tavern ham and Swiss with Gulden's (recently rediscovered it and both Mr. Kim and I are using it a LOT) in a whole wheat pocket:

IMG_5292.jpg.64e5264bddcad2783e0c83ca24da2ff1.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 1