• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch 2021

liuzhou

2 minutes ago, Anna N said:

While the pineapple presentation is quite attractive I am much more interested in the contents of the jade green casserole dish. It looks quite interesting. 

It was a kind of pork belly stew with daikon, wood ear fungus etc. Very good.

• Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Lunch - a riff on Vietnamese Bun Mam using a cube of seasoning from my Chinese grocery store haul yesterday in the big city;-) Also had rice noodles. Added some meatablls from leftover wonton filling, a few little shrimp, Thai basil, fresh beansprouts, Shanghai bok choy, and some green onions. Very satisfying!

1168295672_Ricenoodlesoup3315.jpg.034461ec99e2d95ea181c57a64f47caa.jpg

• Like 11

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Using up more leftovers...green lentils, some grape tomatoes that were going soft, oil packed tuna. Black pepper, sherry vinegar, dash of TJ’s umami seasoning.

903BF48C-6BC2-48B6-9212-0C7A09674AEF.jpeg

• Like 2

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

Hot dog for lunch: Kirkland / Costco Polish Beef Sausage / weiner, on a Villagio sub bun, diced onion, cilantro, watercress, and a squirt of sweet & spicy mustard. Hubby had Jalapeno peppers with his. I had radishes.

369535050_CostcoHotDog3331.jpg.798be98852fe489d5b7c5f446a5fbadb.jpg                  

• Like 5
  • Delicious 1

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

@Kim Shook 

Ive seen so many wonderful sandwiches 

you've made

like this :

ssssss.jpg.16ba59dfbc95cfd7baa20574bcf024a8.jpg

next time consider

getting your bread ready

etc

and the meat and cheese

set up to just fir

but micro the meat ab cheese

to warm i up

on a plate and possibly

felt the cheese

then slide that warm delicious goodness

off the  plat from th miceo

on th the bread

and enjoy

• Like 3

On 2/26/2021 at 10:39 PM, liuzhou said:

Was busy. Near-instant lunch. I just boiled some water.

Just a bit curious. I know English is not the second official language in China as French is the second official language in Canada.  so is the English on the package for export purposes only?

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

34 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Just a bit curious. I know English is not the second official language in China as French is the second official language in Canada.  so is the English on the package for export purposes only?

The product is actually Japanese and labelled in Japanese and English - no Chinese!

That said, many products in China have English (or what they think is English). It's just a marketing ploy - makes the product seem more exotic! A bit like all the idiots in the west who get tattoos in languages they can't understand or even identify. 90% of them are nonsensical.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

My cousin signed me up for a combined cooking class/travel lecture via Zoom.  A collaboration between a cooking school and travel agency, both with regular operations on hold.  Their current series is on Italy and yesterday's session was on Sicily. 

We made Sicilian stuffed zucchini

IMG_2862.thumb.jpeg.31b09814fbbc0510703936e36abe0d58.jpeg

Very easy recipe.  Stuffing was the zuke guts sautéed with garlic plus almonds, capers, golden raisins, lemon zest, panko and Parmesan

IMG_2864.thumb.jpeg.750b59b15c1836a2c62b9ad7be6a2c3b.jpeg

I think I spent more time trying to position my iPad so I could see it while trying not to share my kitchen mess than I did actually cooking.  

While these were in the oven, we watched a lecture/slide show from a woman in Sicily who's a professor and often works as a tour guide.  She talked a bit too fast and tried to cover way too much but it was still a fun diversion. 

• Like 9

3 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

We made Sicilian stuffed zucchini

Very easy recipe.  Stuffing was the zuke guts sautéed with garlic plus almonds, capers, golden raisins, lemon zest, panko and Parmesan

Forgot how much I enjoy that Sicilian flavor combo. Jotted it down for zucchini season. Thanks!

• Like 1

A little twist to puff pastry cheese sausage rolls (actually beef rolls)

cheese, beef mince ,onions & a bit seasonings as fillings

Screenshot_20210228_141402.thumb.jpg.272ceb527cce2932a963858e38d31fa7.jpg

Screenshot_20210228_132802.thumb.jpg.eed3330de7bf4264047a73ca26c03eb1.jpg

Screenshot_20210301_223800.thumb.jpg.af005627395d0c53a367213f1ae78cf6.jpgScreenshot_20210228_140608.thumb.jpg.57f4520632a8d2bc454b50d102e9ff38.jpg

• Like 9
  • Delicious 1

Cooking Is A Therapy~ Life Is Not Always Having A Recipe~

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsMk5tzco08DWQz1F4RGZHw

@MommyDragonsDen 

looks delicious.

Im missing a bit

and that's been said before ...

I see thence on the lowestpic

then the rolls

they look a bit like flowers ?

then you baked them

should you get a chance

might you fill in a few gaps ?

how did you fill the Puff.P to get to the flower stage

then how did you bake them ?

looks very interesting to me.

28 minutes ago, rotuts said:

@MommyDragonsDen 

looks delicious.

Im missing a bit

and that's been said before ...

I see thence on the lowestpic

then the rolls

they look a bit like flowers ?

then you baked them

should you get a chance

might you fill in a few gaps ?

how did you fill the Puff.P to get to the flower stage

then how did you bake them ?

looks very interesting to me.

Thanks for your comments. Cut the pastry into circles & roll up.   It does look like flowers if looking from the top. 

Instructions about how to make these detailed in my YT channel( the link in my signature)

Hope it helps. 

Have a good day!

Screenshot_20210301_231719.thumb.jpg.04c50046e1ac994101312df989c77220.jpg

Edited by MommyDragonsDen (log)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Cooking Is A Therapy~ Life Is Not Always Having A Recipe~

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsMk5tzco08DWQz1F4RGZHw

160672880_Chowfunandchoysum03-01.jpeg.97d350bad911b484c380062ef27c57f4.jpeg

Still working the chow fun jonesing. Yesterday, stir-fried with some pork shoulder strips and green pepper. Stir fried choy sum alongside.

I will note that the rice noodles are probably best used within a day or two of purchase, or maybe frozen? These were a few days out, but still worked, though I had to smush them around in the wok more than when I first bought them.

• Like 7

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

@liuzhou – I love pineapple and shrimp fried rice and have had a work-in-progress version of it for over 10 years.  I can’t quite get it where I want it.  Luckily, there is a nearby Thai restaurant that makes a good one.  That one that you showed looks especially nice.

My dad and his wife are moving back to Virginia from Florida after 20-some years.  On the drive up, they stopped for a safely distanced visit.  I wasn’t sure what time they’d arrive, so I made sure to have lunch in care they were early enough.  I did a pressed sandwich and made tapenade for it:

IMG_5173.jpg.092907986e0b3b7d3127b3daf25c69df.jpg

It is the Alton Brown recipe.  Really good – green and black olives, capers, lemon juice, olive oil, and anchovies.  So, I miscalculated their trip time a bit.  They were not here in time for lunch, so we have sandwiches for the rest of the week:

IMG_5176.jpg.0229eb2c254834cb537dabbff8223a00.jpg

IMG_5177.jpg.958ba11892ae481939296c81dbe773c8.jpg

Tapenade, goat cheese, marinated artichoke hearts, sweet sopressata, ham, and vinaigrette dressed arugula.

• Like 7
  • Delicious 2

4 minutes ago, MokaPot said:

Kind of too fishy, IMO. Yes, I realize tuna is a fish.

Yes. I frequently have that issue. Fish that are fishy don’t pass the smell test! I like the smell of shrimp and don’t consider it fishy. When shrimp start smelling fishy they get binned at my house. 

• Like 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog