• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch 2021

liuzhou

3 hours ago, weinoo said:

65AA5F74-BD3B-449D-8C5E-5D5F922045F6.thumb.jpeg.0b343006672cd161ccc90459a7cb5d63.jpeg

Teriyaki tofu and Shanghai bok choy don. Rice is a variety from Hokkaido called Nanatsuboshi via the Rice Factory. Much than any other I've had from them...

"Especially popular with women and children"?

• Haha 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

1 hour ago, KennethT said:

That's what I was thinking!

Me too!

• Haha 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

14 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

"Especially popular with women and children"?

2 hours ago, KennethT said:

That's what I was thinking!

49 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Me too!

I don't write the copy; I merely quote it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

1 hour ago, gfweb said:

Italian sausage sandwich

Oh! So much better than a hot dog!

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Raw scallops

GMzAxHN.jpg

Home-made dumplings

Ajb7XON.jpg

Mung bean noodles

AxTRMqy.jpg

Austrians make extra button dumplings on purpose so they could eat this the next day:

idLMcGk.jpg

Xzt1Ewj.jpg

I don't like baking. I don't like cakes. Also me:

XH5jJt4.jpg

Whole grapefruits in the cake and syrup (no sugar, I used honey).

WGTaELk.jpg

One year ago in Mexico. /wipe searing hot tears/

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 2

Today's lunch:

IMG_3535.thumb.jpeg.77142a0e214e1c8ad24aa46f4011292d.jpeg

Basically a repeat of last night's dinner:

IMG_3529.thumb.jpeg.e7694016baceb025e3233628054a423c.jpeg

was this Moroccan Chicken Tagine with Figs and Apricots and was excellent. 

I did not cook this myself, but claim half credit because of how it came about. I recently put up some salt-preserved citrus and mentioned this to my cousin.  She wanted to know what I did with it. Based on what I know she likes to cook, I sent her this link and a couple of others and dropped off a jar of preserved Meyer lemons that I made last year.  I think they came from her tree.  She immediately got to work and dropped off these leftovers meal kits, complete with chopped parsley and toasted pine nuts to sprinkle on top. There was one serving of couscous (last night's dinner) and a farro pilaf with a bit of kale and butternut squash that I had for lunch. 

The day before, I'd picked up a Po Boy and order of seafood jambalaya from a local restaurant for pre-Mardi Gras training.  The Po Boy was enough for 2 meals so when she dropped off this, I gave her the jambalaya.  Plus a big bag of limes from my tree. Gotta keep this thing going!

• Like 8
  • Delicious 1

Fried leftover Trinxat (think thick potato cabbage pancake) with fried egg and blood sausage ... not exactly the sustenance one requires if merely working from the homeoffice, but oh so yummy 🤗

A9CFA2F5-2D33-4F0C-89B7-6C90AE6E7EFA.thumb.jpeg.42d1de845ccc47e725c327be33773927.jpeg

Edited by Duvel (log)
  • Like 5
  • Delicious 1

4 hours ago, Duvel said:

Fried leftover Trinxat (think thick potato cabbage pancake) with fried egg and blood sausage ... not exactly the sustenance one requires if merely working from the homeoffice, but oh so yummy 🤗

A9CFA2F5-2D33-4F0C-89B7-6C90AE6E7EFA.thumb.jpeg.42d1de845ccc47e725c327be33773927.jpeg

Something I would enjoy trying. Agreed more for cold weather outdoor worker sustenance. I can get house made blood sausage at the Alpine Market but 45 minutes away and not Pandemic friendly.  I can get Korean blood sausage closer but that is a different, though enjoyable, product. Sundae.

• Thanks 1

Not yet used, but near my new home is this convenient noodle shack and its menu.

21587397_20210208_1737501.thumb.jpg.71c56c342cf3fbba7d0523da23cf7ef6.jpg

Translation:

桂林米粉 - Guilin Rice Noodles (specialty of Guilin)
螺蛳粉 - Luosifen or Spicy Snail Rice Noodles (specialty of Liuzhou)
云吞 - Wontons
老友粉 - Old Friend Noodles (specialty of Nanning)
煮粉 - Boiled Rice Noodles
砂锅粉 - Sand Pot Rice Noodles
炒粉 - Fried Rice Noodles
炒面 - Fried Wheat Noodles (chow mein)

Too convenient to avoid. Could become a feature of life. I can't go out or get back in without passing it.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 8

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

I had to Google "old friend" noodles, because the name caught my eye. Sounds like a pleasant warmer-upper on a cool winter's day.

• Like 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

@Duvel – your “clean out the fridge mash” is something that would never occur to me and looks absolutely delicious!

@blue_dolphin – lovely gnocchi.  Is the color due to them being made from sweet potatoes or is it from being pan fried.

Lunch yesterday was leftovers from Super Bowl goodies:

IMG_4995.jpg.423aef6f4f51f4ce3d81ac4ccf4fd840.jpg

Spinach and artichoke dip on toasts and Jessica’s grape jelly and BBQ sauce meatballs.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

@blue_dolphin – lovely gnocchi.  Is the color due to them being made from sweet potatoes or is it from being pan fried.

A little of each, I think.  The gnocchi were pan fried to give the golden brown color on two sides but they started out a pale orange color from the sweet potatoes and you can see that on the sides that didn't contact the pan.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, rotuts said:

@Kim Shook 

idle to hear more on the

MBs w BBQ and grape jelly.

Id lov a few right now

These are one of the trashiest and most ridiculous of snacks, from the depths of the 1960s suburban USA.  There are many variations around.  My mom used to make a version with either apricot jam or orange marmalade and BBQ sauce and homemade meatballs.  The very trashiest version is the one that Jessica made: a bag of frozen meatballs, a jar of grape jelly and the same amount of your favorite bottled BBQ sauce.  You dump the bag of meatballs in a slow cooker, mix the jelly and BBQ sauce in a saucepan and pour it over the meatballs.  Two to three hours on HIGH or about six on LOW and there you go.  Everyone laughs like mad at them and then they evaporate in 15 minutes and you wish you'd made more!  😁

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1