• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch 2021

liuzhou

13 minutes ago, BeeZee said:

Rice cake (Lundberg's, the only kind that actually have some flavor other than styrofoam) spread with thin layer of raspberry preserves and topped with labneh - very enjoyable (to me) mix of sweet and tangy. Probably would be good on a graham cracker for a cheesecake vibe. I really enjoyed the container of labneh I purchased at TJ's, but with it having a short shelf life (4 days after opening) and the fact that I'm the only one eating it...not sure if I will buy it often. I don't like feeling obligated to eat something 4 days in a row.

Wow for a cultured yogurt product that seems oddly short shelf lfe.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, heidih said:

Wow for a cultured yogurt product that seems oddly short shelf lfe.

I've never tried TJ's labneh, but I'm with Heidi: that seems awfully short. The labneh I buy at a Middle Eastern market is comparable to sour cream or yogurt in my experience.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

I was surprised to see that as well, the "best by" date was 2/1 (purchased 1/22) and the container said "use within 4 days of opening". At day number 4 there was a little whey separated out, but otherwise no discernable change to flavor. With the poor shelf life of a lot of perishables from TJ's I was reluctant to risk it. Whenever I get back to Whole Foods I'll see what they have.

• Like 1

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

15 hours ago, BeeZee said:

I was surprised to see that as well, the "best by" date was 2/1 (purchased 1/22) and the container said "use within 4 days of opening". At day number 4 there was a little whey separated out, but otherwise no discernable change to flavor. With the poor shelf life of a lot of perishables from TJ's I was reluctant to risk it. Whenever I get back to Whole Foods I'll see what they have.

Trust your nose. Labneh should last a couple of weeks if kept clean (i.e. clean utensils). Those instructions are often too strict. I've even had pickles and preserves with similar "use by" times, quite silly.

• Like 1

~ Shai N.

IMG_3382.thumb.jpeg.01c22cf3657339f822605fd431bd6853.jpeg

Leftover pork chop (which did not get eaten the night I made it, due to two pizzas) turned into a quick Thai red curry. Actually - practically as good as any Thai takeout.

• Like 6
  • Delicious 2

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

35 minutes ago, weinoo said:

IMG_3382.thumb.jpeg.01c22cf3657339f822605fd431bd6853.jpeg

Leftover pork chop (which did not get eaten the night I made it, due to two pizzas) turned into a quick Thai red curry. Actually - practically as good as any Thai takeout.

no Thai basil? I'm sure it was just because you didn't have it available, but it would have knocked it out of the park!  What brand red curry paste did you use?

1 hour ago, KennethT said:

no Thai basil? I'm sure it was just because you didn't have it available, but it would have knocked it out of the park!  What brand red curry paste did you use?

Exactly - I didn't have any!  This was made with Thai Kitchen's.  I also have on hand the Maesri brand, which I'll try next. I try and punch them up with lots of garlic/ginger, and more heat to taste. (I haven't been to Ken Hing in a few weeks to resupply; I need to get over there).

image.png.932c1f862a3acf1e78dfa61dca75dc99.png

Edited by weinoo (log)

Tasty Travails - My Blog

1 hour ago, weinoo said:

Exactly - I didn't have any!  This was made with Thai Kitchen's.  I also have on hand the Maesri brand, which I'll try next. I try and punch them up with lots of garlic/ginger, and more heat to taste. (I haven't been to Ken Hing in a few weeks to resupply; I need to get over there).

image.png.932c1f862a3acf1e78dfa61dca75dc99.png

I don't think you'd need to add anything to the Maesri brand except a little shrimp paste. That stuff requires no punching.  I still haven't made it to Ken Hing... but if they happen to have the Nittiya brand of curry paste (it's refrigerated), it's probably the best I've had outside of Thailand...  The Thai store on Mosco St. used to carry it (I haven't been there in about a year) but when they did, they sold out quickly.

@Raamo – nice looking chicken “nuggets” in your salad!  That is one of our favorite “Fern Bar” salads.  And, of course, we aren’t getting them anymore.  Were they just chunks of chicken with a panko coating?  Fried in oil?

@Captain – I agree with @KennethT!  Beautiful lamb!

Mr. Kim’s lunch the other day – chicken sandwich with lettuce, mayo, and crunched up potato chips and chip & dip:

IMG_4839.thumb.jpg.e436037754403422ded5b199884d3a51.jpg

Salad:

IMG_4838.jpg.7e646cf0aa8ec3fed7553b413a1f59b2.jpg

• Like 5

41 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

Mr. Kim’s lunch the other day – chicken sandwich with lettuce, mayo, and crunched up potato chips and chip & dip:

I love potato chip sandwiches. I am happy with just potato chips between slices of well-buttered, white squidgy bread. 

• Like 2
  • Delicious 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

3 hours ago, Anna N said:

I love potato chip sandwiches. I am happy with just potato chips between slices of well-buttered, white squidgy bread. 

My favorite is lebanon bologna and potato chip sandwich with guldens spicy brown mustard and white american cheese on good ol white bread.

Edited by FeChef (log)
  • Like 4

More of a brunch really.

Instant seafood noodles pimped up with lobster balls, Vietnamese fish sauce and Tabasco green label (jalepiño).

797660799_20210128_1225481.thumb.jpg.0bd784f093a8734882ad695171f8c077.jpg

577930567_20210128_1226011.thumb.jpg.3bc07f873ed9b69c830be2a444200810.jpg

Still trying to find best place in new apartment for food pictures!

• Like 9
  • Delicious 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

9 hours ago, liuzhou said:

More of a brunch really.

Instant seafood noodles pimped up with lobster balls, Vietnamese fish sauce and Tabasco green label (jalepiño).

797660799_20210128_1225481.thumb.jpg.0bd784f093a8734882ad695171f8c077.jpg

577930567_20210128_1226011.thumb.jpg.3bc07f873ed9b69c830be2a444200810.jpg

Still trying to find best place in new apartment for food pictures!

Do you make the lobster balls or buy them?

On 1/27/2021 at 3:29 PM, Kim Shook said:

@Raamo – nice looking chicken “nuggets” in your salad!  That is one of our favorite “Fern Bar” salads.  And, of course, we aren’t getting them anymore.  Were they just chunks of chicken with a panko coating?  Fried in oil?

Bits of chicken, flour, egg, panko then fried.  Our main way of frying things.

• Thanks 1

65AA5F74-BD3B-449D-8C5E-5D5F922045F6.thumb.jpeg.0b343006672cd161ccc90459a7cb5d63.jpeg

Teriyaki tofu and Shanghai bok choy don. Rice is a variety from Hokkaido called Nanatsuboshi via the Rice Factory. Much softer than any other rice I've had from them...

"Yumepirika" is the focus of attention throughout Japan as rice from Hokkaido, but many people who like rice say "I prefer Nanatsuboshi from Hokkaido!" Compared to Yumepirika, this rice is characterized by its refreshing and smooth taste.

Nanatsuboshi has a soft texture and the taste of rice is not too strong, so it enhances the taste of side dishes. Also, even if it gets cold, the rice grains do not stick to each other and it is delicious. Especially popular with women and children.

Edited by weinoo (log)
  • Like 6

Tasty Travails - My Blog