• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch 2021

liuzhou

56 minutes ago, Dejah said:

THIS is all I have in my "book". The portions, taste for tang and heat are up to you to adjust. Google and see what comes up.

458949527_SoosHotSourSouprecipe2968.jpg.93fbe66d12fa02e48975bc4117a1e00e.jpg

Thank you - I'd been forgetting the day lilies. 

Quick pizza to accompany lazy afternoon movie (“Bedknobs & broomsticks”): straight yeast dough @70% hydration, 30 min bulk rise with 3x stretch & fold (10 min apart), before balling and 20 final rise. No other kneading. I am surprised how well this works - total pizza from scratch in one hour. Wasn’t half bad ...

8A297BA6-7AA0-4179-97EA-43BAE94F05B3.thumb.jpeg.31a067757765cd0ec70f55c74b03055f.jpeg

AE0916BD-8EBD-4B80-B6BD-7CF909B7B374.thumb.jpeg.fc4ef40a30cb2d5a58a7fa2a7f74c44b.jpeg

Edited by Duvel (log)
  • Like 6
  • Delicious 1

Loved that movie as a kid.

Had a real moment of deja vu in the final Potter movie when Maggie Smith cast the spell that sent all of those statues and suits of armor out to fight the invaders.

• Like 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

Hurt my jaw last night, and it's swollen. So it's soft food for lunch.

I had picked up Cantonese BBQ ducks and Siu Yook (crispy skin BBQ pork) from the Chinese grocery. because I am a regular, the owner gave me several BBQ Pork bones for soup.
Those are SO full of flavour and still a lot of meat attached.

I used 2 smaller pieces to make jook / congee for lunch today. It was really flavourful! Eaten with preserved egg, Chinese crueller, and few slivers of crackling.

1187111437_BBQPorkCongee2980.jpg.2fef2c4acbd26a65d9ad1fdf64cc7e64.jpg

• Like 11
  • Delicious 1
  • Sad 1

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Saturday lunch with wine.

Ventresca tuna with white beans, blanched green beans, tomatoes, capers and sweet onion.

dressing was olive oil and moscatel sherry vinegar.

Wine was the best IMHO Bandol Rose from Domaine Tempier

IMG_3446.JPG

IMG_3448.JPG

• Like 8
  • Delicious 1

@scamhi, your salad looks absolutely delicious.

What kind of white beans are those? If they're canned, can you say what type of bean / brand. If you made them from dry, I'd be interested to know where you got them from (type of bean / brand).

Thank you!

1 hour ago, MokaPot said:

@scamhi, your salad looks absolutely delicious.

What kind of white beans are those? If they're canned, can you say what type of bean / brand. If you made them from dry, I'd be interested to know where you got them from (type of bean / brand).

Thank you!

these were cannellini beans a regular size can Publix brand- limited resources and whole foods is a 25 minute drive away

• Like 1

No, those are not soup dumplings, though quite similar. Those are purchased hand made khinkali, filled with mushrooms (the traditional feeling is beef/lamb) flavored with onion, dill, cilantro, some spices. Pretty good. I opted to steam them, because the dough is thin and some bursted when I first tried boiling them. Topped simply with pepper.

Served with a plate of crudites and pickles, and lots of beer.

PXL_20201215_192805406.jpg

• Like 5
  • Delicious 3

~ Shai N.

Forgot this one last time

LmCkqYI.jpg

Chestnut-boletus spread

96j63HT.jpg

0smH7xC.jpg

Hokkaido scallops poached in Franconi

an Sylvaner, on top of squash puree, Sicilian pistaschios and home-made salsa machita.

lZUEv06.jpg

Made flans with the rest of the squash puree.

8lM9iP3.jpg

fvg125B.jpg

MScyBTs.jpg

New batch of salsa machita. Can't make it back to Me-hi-co for the coming whale watching season but I have enough chillies till my return.

3J44eus.jpg

On 1/3/2021 at 10:17 PM, KennethT said:

What type of crab claws are those?

It's a common species of crab around these parts.

zHDLHeR.jpg

• Like 10
  • Delicious 2

25 minutes ago, BonVivant said:

LmCkqYI.jpg

Chestnut-boletus spread

96j63HT.jpg

0smH7xC.jpg

Hokkaido scallops poached in Franconi

an Sylvaner, on top of squash puree, Sicilian pistaschios and home-made salsa machita.

lZUEv06.jpg

Made flans with the rest of the squash puree.

8lM9iP3.jpg

fvg125B.jpg

MScyBTs.jpg

New batch of salsa machita. Can't make it back to Me-hi-co for the coming whale watching season but I have enough chillies till my return.

3J44eus.jpg

It's a common species of crab around these parts.

zHDLHeR.jpg

I would be more than happy with any/all of it. Curious on the mushroom & chestnut spread - is there a liquid or fat involved for spreadability? Flavor surely abundant. 

On 1/9/2021 at 9:00 AM, gfweb said:

Not available in the hinterlands.

2 hours ago, BonVivant said:

LmCkqYI.jpg

A different Mousie!

Edited by kayb (log)

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

1776275415_Chickensaladsalad01-10.thumb.jpeg.be737283089f095f796e355a28202bb9.jpeg

With my imperfect chicken thighs from Imperfect Foods, used the leftover roasted ones to make some Duke's heavy chicken salad. Scallions, celery, olive oil, mustard, vinegar all helped too. 

And served it with another salad, salad stuff not Imperfect, yet not perfect either.

• Like 7

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Lunch holed up in my office...vegetarian lentil soup (leftover from weekend) and cheeze crackers. I used a bit of tomato paste when sauteeing the vegetables, it adds a nice depth to the broth.

IMG_20210112_121403.jpg

• Like 5
  • Delicious 1

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde