• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

weinoo

weinoo

6 hours ago, Duvel said:

Absolutely … would be great to get an instant Cantonese roast duck like that just to pull out of the freezer !

Fortunately for me, I can get one by simply walking down the block. Wu's has 2 or 3 styles of roast duck; there's always a honey basted one, a classic Cantonese one, and usually a pressed duck as well.

792838014_Ducklegsandpotatoes08-22-21.thumb.jpeg.6bd1a1eb57bc0c56349e90a1f820eedc.jpeg

I often bastardize Lebovitz's recipe for a faux confit, and simply season the legs with salt, pepper, and herbes de Provence, roast them for 2 to 2.5 hours, and they're very good. Of course braising them uncovered does yield a different texture I think, but it also leads to another question: is uncovered cooking really a braise?

weinoo

weinoo

54 minutes ago, Duvel said:

Absolutely … would be great to get an instant Cantonese roast duck like that just to pull out of the freezer !

Fortunately for me, I can get one by simply walking down the block. Wu's has 2 or 3 styles of roast duck; there's alike a  honey basted one, a classic Cantonese one, and usually a pressed duck as well.

792838014_Ducklegsandpotatoes08-22-21.thumb.jpeg.6bd1a1eb57bc0c56349e90a1f820eedc.jpeg

I often bastardize Lebovitz's recipe for a faux confit, and simply season the legs with salt, pepper, and herbes de Provence, roast them for 2 to 2.5 hours, and they're very good. Of course braising them uncovered does yield a different texture I think, but it also leads to another question: is uncovered cooking really a braise?