• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

BonVivant

BonVivant

I eat one warm meal a day so it seems like a lot here.

The most popular snack in Crete, dakos. Have to try it at least once at the source. At home I use toasted sourdough bread. In Crete they use Cretan Mizithra cheese, elsewhere feta will have to do.

lBbq7Ia.jpg

''Greek'' salad with (seasonal) greens. Pretty sure they are not purslane.

47AypzW.jpg

These greens are a bit sour and moist. The taste is refreshing.

oPzRArZ.jpg

Grilled lamb chops

m6FFK2h.jpg

Day's special is braised pork (and to my horror) with leeks. Thankfully the pork tasted great (although I couldn't stand the sight of the leeks).

3EoAT8y.jpg

The afters. I had a beer tasting appointment directly after the meal and had to declined the raki.

JpuuAh1.jpg

Being the first to arrive I got to choose a table. Greeks start coming from 1:30 or 2pm. Mum is the main cook, dad grills everything, grown children and grandchildren do the rest. Restaurant is across the street from my lodging, where they tourists don't make a detour.

E1RXB2L.jpg

EMOZHCO.jpg

Sunset at the harbour with Venetian fortress on left

5WlxgYl.jpg

Key is in the lock and I have shoes on, ready to run downstairs and out on the street when the terrifying rumbling and shakes come (which are at random and there's no sign of it stopping any time soon. Happened again last night, twice.).

BonVivant

BonVivant

I eat one warm meal a day so it seems like a lot here.

The most popular snack in Crete, dakos. Have to try it at least once at the source. At home I use toasted sourdough bread. In Crete they use Cretan Mizithra cheese, elsewhere feta will have to do.

lBbq7Ia.jpg

''Greek'' salad with (seasonal) greens. Pretty sure they are not purslane.

47AypzW.jpg

These greens are a bit sour and moist. The taste is refreshing.

oPzRArZ.jpg

Grilled lamb chops

m6FFK2h.jpg

Day's special is braised pork (and to my horror) with leeks. Thankfully the pork tasted great (although I couldn't stand the sight of the leeks).

3EoAT8y.jpg

The afters. I had a beer tasting appointment directly after the meal and had to declined the raki.

JpuuAh1.jpg

Being the first to arrive I got to choose a table. Greeks start coming from 1:30 or 2pm. Mum is the main cook, dad grills everything, grown children and grandchildren do the rest. Restaurant is across the street from my lodging, where they tourists don't make a detour.

E1RXB2L.jpg

EMOZHCO.jpg

Key is in the lock and I have shoes on, ready to run downstairs and out on the street when the terrifying rumbling and shakes come (which are at random and there's no sign of it stopping any time soon. Happened again last night, twice.).