• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

BonVivant

BonVivant

Thanks, all. I'm fine now, until the rumbling starts again. Now any kind of rumbling freaks me out a little.

Earthquakes are a fact of life in Greece. Everyone goes right back to their normal lives. Although a little "shaken" but I must do the same.

@heidih, they are barley rusks. Cretans and Cycladians love rusks. They put them in salads, spread fava and dips on them, pile grated tomatoes on them and other uses. They come in little squares and rounds looking like half a burger bun but twice as big, and also other shapes and have their own uses. Being baked twice the rusks can be kept for longer. They have been eaten since antiquity. Cretan Dakos is so popular it's found in many other places in Greece, too.

The beauty of Greece. Everybody is mad about Santorini sunset, but I rather like the afterglow. The beauty of tragedy:

eO4zhkW.jpg

Btw, all businesses with views of the caldera (collapsed crater) come with an extraordinarily hefty price tag in high season. Santorini has a high concentration of luxury hotels.

Santorini before and after the catastrophic explosion that wiped out a civilisation

5du0IgV.jpg

BonVivant

BonVivant

Thanks, all. I'm fine now, until the rumbling starts again. Now any kind of rumbling freaks me out a little.

Earthquakes are a fact of life in Greece. Everyone goes right back to their normal lives. Although a little "shaken" but I must, too.

@heidih, they are barley rusks. Cretans and Cycladians love rusks. They put them in salads, spread fava and dips on them, pile grated tomatoes on them and other uses. They come in little squares and rounds looking like half a burger bun but twice as big, and also other shapes and have their own uses. Being baked twice the rusks can be kept for longer. They have been eaten since antiquity. Cretan Dakos is so popular it's found in many other places in Greece, too.

The beauty of Greece. Everybody is mad about Santorini sunset, but I rather like the afterglow. The beauty of tragedy:

eO4zhkW.jpg

Btw, all businesses with views of the caldera (collapsed crater) come with an extraordinarily hefty price tag in high season. Santorini has a high concentration of luxury hotels.

Santorini before and after the catastrophic explosion that wiped out a civilisation

5du0IgV.jpg