• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

On 5/26/2021 at 11:17 PM, kayb said:

Do you pronounced it "wooster-shire"? If not, how is it properly pronounced, please?

Also, in a couple of novels I've read recently set in Yorkshire, there's repeated mention of "brown sauce," mostly on bacon sandwiches. Please enlighten me as to what "brown sauce" is.

Most people in the UK just say Wooster Sauce. If we do use the 'shire' part, it is pronounced 'shir' and unstressed. Not the 'shyer' I hear from many Americans.

There is a reasonably good article on brown sauce on Wikipedia here.  I can buy HP sauce here in China. I have a bottle in the fridge, but it easily lasts me a year. Not something I use often.

hp.jpg.42b2ba4f63239d5522e7bdc97c247fa5.jpg

liuzhou

liuzhou

15 minutes ago, kayb said:

Do you pronounced it "wooster-shire"? If not, how is it properly pronounced, please?

Also, in a couple of novels I've read recently set in Yorkshire, there's repeated mention of "brown sauce," mostly on bacon sandwiches. Please enlighten me as to what "brown sauce" is.

Most people in the UK just say Wooster Sauce. If we do use the 'shire' part, it is pronounced 'shir' and unstressed. Not the 'shyer' I hear from many Americans.

There is a reasonably good article on brown sauce on Wikipedia here.  I can buy HP sauce here in China. I have a a bottle in the fridge, but it easily lasts me a year. Not something I use often.

liuzhou

liuzhou

6 minutes ago, kayb said:

There is a reasonably good article on brown sae on Wikipedia here.  I can buy HP sauce here in China. I have a a bottle in the fridge, but it easily lasts me a year. Not something I use often.