• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Franci

Franci

20 hours ago, Smithy said:

I hope you don't mind another couple of questions! Do you normally put the potatoes under the rack and the duck (or whatever) on top of the rack, or does it all go atop the rack? This time, when you added the potatoes later toward the end of cooking, did you still put them under the duck and maybe the rack?

@Smithy, sure I don’t mind.  I put the potatoes under the rack and the duck on top. I normally start only with the roast for the fist 20 minutes so the duck, chicken, whatever I am roasting gets a nice color and start dripping some fat (I also add a little bit of water or stock and also some wine sometimes at the bottom so the oil doesn’t burn and it doesn’t produce too much smoke). First 20 minutes at 410-420F, I take out the pan from the oven, carefully remove the rack with the help of a tong and add the potatoes shaking them well in the fat, put the roast back and lower the temperature to 400. At the end, when I take out the meat and let rest, I might broil slightly the potatoes if necessary 

Franci

Franci

20 hours ago, Smithy said:

I hope you don't mind another couple of questions! Do you normally put the potatoes under the rack and the duck (or whatever) on top of the rack, or does it all go atop the rack? This time, when you added the potatoes later toward the end of cooking, did you still put them under the duck and maybe the rack?

I put the potatoes under the rack and the duck on top. I normally start only with the roast for the fist 20 minutes so the duck, chicken, whatever I am roasting gets a nice color and start dripping some fat (I also add a little bit of water or stock and also some wine sometimes at the bottom so the oil doesn’t burn and it doesn’t produce too much smoke). First 20 minutes at 410-420F, I take out the pan from the oven, carefully remove the rack with the help of a tong and add the potatoes shaking them well in the fat, put the roast back and lower the temperature to 400. At the end, when I take out the meat and let rest, I might broil slightly the potatoes if necessary