• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast 2021

liuzhou

I baked a batch of pumpernickel bagels (my favorite flavor)

1644492208_pumpernickelbagels.thumb.jpg.ce5a8e7062297b8e37343eae4d2092b2.jpg

Why … warum … pourquoi … doshite ..?!

Why make something great taste like something a bunch of desperate Germans have invented to shorten their miserable life in the mud-drenched sugar beet fields of southern Lower Saxony ?

Growing up on that stuff I am truly curious on what the sea change has done to Pumpernickel, that even cooks I admire (such as @liamsaunt and @Chris Hennes) feel like making, eating (and liking 😱) it …

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

20 hours ago, Duvel said:

Why … warum … pourquoi … doshite ..?!

Why make something great taste like something a bunch of desperate Germans have invented to shorten their miserable life in the mud-drenched sugar beet fields of southern Lower Saxony ?

Growing up on that stuff I am truly curious on what the sea change has done to Pumpernickel, that even cooks I admire (such as @liamsaunt and @Chris Hennes) feel like making, eating (and liking 😱) it …

More for me, then!  😋

My grandfather was an immigrant from Germany, and I do not remember him ever eating pumpernickel.  Or any other German food for that matter.  My biggest food memory of him is that he absolutely refused to eat onions in any form, because according to him it was one of the only foods his family could get to eat when he still lived in Germany as a child post WW1.  

This is the recipe I used, with an overnight chill in the fridge added after shaping.  Maybe it is different than the pumpernickel you have in Germany.  https://www.kingarthurbaking.com/recipes/pumpernickel-bagels-recipe

• Like 1

On 10/20/2021 at 5:14 PM, liamsaunt said:

Maybe it is different than the pumpernickel you have in Germany.

Affirmative. I think that “pumpernickel” in the States is mostly perceived as a flavor (and I get the idea behind that, see below).

German pumpernickel is a very specific bread, essentially cracked whole rye (with bran), soaked then pressed into a loaf and steamed for the better part of a day. The result is a brick, with savory caramel overtones and a very, very hearty consistency (the latter is essentially the off-putting part for me). 

The flavor profile isn’t that bad and something you can transfer to other items, e.g. by using toasted rye flour, caramel, chocolate powder, … Maybe I should give these hybrids a go, but why waste one of the very few and wholeheartedly felt food aversions that I have 🤗

(that being said I’d have one of your bagels in an instant)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

@Ann_T  I do believe you could put dog food on a slab and make it look drool worthy.  Beautiful as always!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Brenda

I whistfully mentioned how I missed sushi. Truly horrified, she told me "you city folk eat the strangest things!", and offered me a freshly fried chitterling!

@liamsaunt – pumpernickel is one of my top two (the other being ETs) bagel flavors.  There is NOTHING better with smoked salmon. 

My breakfasts are all so similar – something bready, something eggy, and -sometimes- something porky.  It’s what I want in the morning, but it’s also so fun to see the wonderful variety here!

Thursday:

IMG_7259.jpg.6211fc8c14274b944ae46d3fcc72f96a.jpg

Friday – that’s lovely Benton’s bacon:

IMG_7260.jpg.e357d55d6270c89693726db35ae18de3.jpg

Friday, I had a lovely surprise when I went into one of the little neighborhood grocery stores to pick up some RG beans.  They now sell bread from my very favorite bakery in the city, Sub Rosa.  They are a great place that have survived a horrible fire and the pandemic to continue to provide amazing breads and pastries.  They do their own milling and have the best croissants I’ve ever had in my life.  Bought a “Classic” loaf to go with every meal and snack until it runs out:

IMG_7264.jpg.640d4800f11fa6cbe27e3bb3b752f0eb.jpg

IMG_7266.jpg.e83a06d661463b04564c4c30e0268235.jpg

Ergo Saturday’s breakfast:

IMG_7268.thumb.jpg.f1ad880e7d9f0c1f9670379d3eb28a64.jpg

Slightly overdone eggs and two slices of the Sub Rosa bread toasted – one with butter and one with fig jam. 

This morning:

IMG_7275.jpg.457afd94f03a3a62b66d819b0ae26517.jpg

Toasted Sub Rosa bread and IP eggs.  That damned green halo.  Same carton of eggs and same cook.  Grrrr. 

• Like 7

@blue_dolphin - I talked above about being a bit of a staid breakfast eater, but I would definitely have a lovely hot dog like that (especially one in that beautifully grilled bun) for breakfast.  I'm not a spice person, so I'd skip the kimchi, but a good sausage of almost any type would be welcome at my breakfast table!

This morning was an ET bagel with onion/herb cream cheese:

IMG_7285.jpg.c70274ec0fe8dfbf2bce28c0612527cf.jpg

• Like 2
  • Delicious 1

21 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

Chicken livers on toast from Dishoom

I had completely missed that they had released a cookbook -- I think it's my favorite place to eat in London (at least, I've certainly had more meals there than any other restaurant). I also didn't know they had an Edinburgh location... nice!

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

On 11/9/2021 at 7:18 AM, Ann_T said:

Made Moe a good breakfast.

He has to have more surgery so he will be eating hospital food for a few days. 

Hopefully not as long as last time. 

Poor Moe!  Hospital food is never good.  I hope everything is going smoothly and that he'll be back in your good care (and good eats!) very soon. 

Polenta with a swirl of sage & walnut pesto, charred tomatoes, parm and fried sage leaves.

IMG_4619.thumb.jpeg.e7aba857e4e594a53e6968012d102286.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Delicious 1

1954548157_IMG_20211112_1035100442.thumb.jpg.37a2b328f8a7f9b75abaf4b27fa2521a.jpg

Take out Congee from Cong Tu Bot, Portland Maine (among the NYT top 50) featuring mung bean, pickled mustard greens, egg, chili oil. Delightful!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II

Portland Food Map.com