Jump to content
  • Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast 2021


liuzhou
 Share

Recommended Posts

Friday:

IMG_7065.thumb.jpg.eaef124888ae350c02ced01f69b71061.jpg

Benton’s bacon, pineapple, scrambles, and toast.

 

Sunday breakfast was Stouffer’s creamed chipped beef on Texas toast:

breakfast.jpg.ea231621b68f6a824f0687fb6b7a1238.jpg

 

We are still getting good heirloom tomatoes from the farmer’s market, so breakfast yesterday morning was IP eggs and tomatoes on toast with Dukes:

bfast.thumb.jpg.93a8281e916feb101588433da253582d.jpg

I have been eating this breakfast sandwich my entire life.  For most of that time, I’ve made them for myself (rather than my mother making them) and I’ve always noticed that smearing the mayo on top of the tomato was a sloppy, uneven job.  I am 62 years old and it just this morning occurred to me to spread the mayo on the toast.  What a maroon!  😳🙄

 

This morning:

bfast2.jpg.194935344c3ce890dab71c1c8f13f8e7.jpg

 

bfast.jpg.432838aaf92c1e4861b2111a14588929.jpg

Country ham and egg sliders.

  • Like 5
  • Delicious 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I slow roasted a capicola pork roast yesterday for dinner.
But we never had it because we picked up some take out for a late lunch while we were in town.
 
So this morning I sliced a little of the roast and made gravy from the drippings (nothing is better than pork gravy)
and made Moe a hot pork sandwich for breakfast.
1087012018_CapicolaPorkRoastHotSandwichSeptember22nd2021.thumb.jpg.203656932fe343579858d025494fda6f.jpg
 
This should keep him going until I get home from work.
  • Like 5
  • Delicious 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

@Ann_T - as much as I love hot open faced sandwiches, it's never occurred to me to try pork!  Must attend to that soon!  Your gravy always looks so delicious.  

 

I had two of these this morning:

bfast.jpg.cd61fd8f4c6c8e359c76e035ba4c78c5.jpg

I figure I must have had a half a stick of butter for breakfast.  🥴

  • Like 3
  • Delicious 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

This morning:

bfast2.jpg.194935344c3ce890dab71c1c8f13f8e7.jpg

@Kim Shook, that country ham looks deliciously thin.  Do you slice it yourself?  Since it's just me here, I've stuck with ordering biscuit slices or dinner steaks but maybe I should splash out and get something bigger that I could slice like that.  

 

A David Ross-inspired breakfast here:  Pumpkin brioche French toast with warm blueberry compote and whipped mascarpone butter.  

Yesterday, I made a blueberry (in lieu of huckleberry) compote and used it in his Wild Huckleberry, Pepperjack and Smoked Bacon Grilled Cheese which I shared over in the lunch topic.  When I saw a pumpkin brioche loaf in Trader Joe's, I knew that French toast made with it would be perfect with that compote and I was not wrong. 

IMG_4377.thumb.jpeg.b1ddc551d1ecca9fccda77172875eb36.jpeg

I don't usually put butter on French toast, but decided to gild the lily and make some of the whipped mascarpone butter that David used recently on his huckleberry pancakes.  It's a perfect foil to the sweet/tart compote.  His pancake post is just upthread (and linked below), and his recipes for the pancakes and mascarpone butter are here on his website. 

 

  • Like 4
  • Delicious 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

@blue_dolphin – believe it or not, that ham is from the Food Lion deli and sliced thin by them.  The brand name is Hobe and it is very good.  No need for soaking – it comes perfectly, but not overly, salty.  Being in California, you may not find it in your grocery store delis, but its worth asking about and getting a sample.  I love your tribute meals.  When I get some time, I’m going to make some, too.

 

This morning:

bfast.jpg.cfc5e696fdf8dcb1da0e478f83432055.jpg

Basically yesterday, with eggs!

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Cretans are proud of their various types of honey, olive oils and cheeses.

 

utW2F9n.jpg

 

Strawberries are deep red inside and out

kGuKmTs.jpg

 

5WswYfb.jpg

 

Where I got my fruits and vegs on the first morning in Crete

eBTJKmw.jpg

 

This morning and every single day since I got here

8mvgV4I.jpg

 

2pAsVBb.jpg

pQCcbUr.jpg

 

Your Cycladic charms already worked on me before we met...

h5u5awl.jpg

 

You can say that again!

qkt3qez.jpg

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I picked up take-out yesterday from a local Cajun/Creole place and ordered an assortment of sides for a planned-over breakfast

1104307013_IMG_4397(1).thumb.jpeg.020d0220004982132c3fa79fde08f182.jpeg

Black-eyed peas, collards and sautéed squash & onions, corn bread with orange marmalade honey butter. 

  • Like 6
  • Delicious 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/21/2021 at 11:22 AM, Kim Shook said:

Friday:

IMG_7065.thumb.jpg.eaef124888ae350c02ced01f69b71061.jpg

Benton’s bacon, pineapple, scrambles, and toast.

 

Sunday breakfast was Stouffer’s creamed chipped beef on Texas toast:

breakfast.jpg.ea231621b68f6a824f0687fb6b7a1238.jpg

 

We are still getting good heirloom tomatoes from the farmer’s market, so breakfast yesterday morning was IP eggs and tomatoes on toast with Dukes:

bfast.thumb.jpg.93a8281e916feb101588433da253582d.jpg

I have been eating this breakfast sandwich my entire life.  For most of that time, I’ve made them for myself (rather than my mother making them) and I’ve always noticed that smearing the mayo on top of the tomato was a sloppy, uneven job.  I am 62 years old and it just this morning occurred to me to spread the mayo on the toast.  What a maroon!  😳🙄

 

This morning:

bfast2.jpg.194935344c3ce890dab71c1c8f13f8e7.jpg

 

bfast.jpg.432838aaf92c1e4861b2111a14588929.jpg

Country ham and egg sliders.

Everything looks so good. I'm not normally a breakfast person but "toast and tomatoes" is something I can always go for in the summer when tomatoes taste like tomatoes. I had a similar revelation (I'm 61) recently when I thought to lightly toast the inside of the bread before assembling and grilling a Reuben. It makes a world of difference and was a lightbulb moment for sure. Never to old to learn!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Leftover brown rice that was steamed in home made chicken stock fried in butter with sliced ham and eggs cooked on the induction range until the whites started to cook and then convection baked until the whites were completely set and the yolks were like pudding.

 

PXL_20211001_132719222.thumb.jpg.2ca3a6ab8050620226e90ace57c5f3d7.jpg

  • Like 4
  • Delicious 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Wait. Wot said:

Leftover brown rice that was steamed in home made chicken stock fried in butter with sliced ham and eggs cooked on the induction range until the whites started to cook and then convection baked until the whites were completely set and the yolks were like pudding.

 

PXL_20211001_132719222.thumb.jpg.2ca3a6ab8050620226e90ace57c5f3d7.jpg

well that must have set you up deliciously for the day. Was that one egg a double yolker?

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, heidih said:

well that must have set you up deliciously for the day. Was that one egg a double yolker?

Nope. Four singles. I was going to do a scramble but none of the yolks broke. Thus the trip to the oven.

 

It was brunch, sadly, no Bloody Mary.

Edited by Wait. Wot
Tpyo (log)
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Wait. Wot said:

Leftover brown rice that was steamed in home made chicken stock fried in butter with sliced ham and eggs cooked on the induction range until the whites started to cook and then convection baked until the whites were completely set and the yolks were like pudding.

Coincidentally, the recipe I used today cooked the fried egg using a very similar hot-pan -> oven to finish method. 

Kejriwal from Dishoom.  This is basically the Chilli Cheese Toast that appears later in the book with a fried egg on top.  A handful of the chile-cheese mixture gets tossed in the frypan on top of the egg before it goes into the oven. 

IMG_4428.thumb.jpeg.40a34d4ae291fe92e35b6bb9b050787b.jpeg

Served with some tomato chutney on the side. 

 

  • Like 2
  • Delicious 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

Coincidentally, the recipe I used today cooked the fried egg using a very similar hot-pan -> oven to finish method. 

Kejriwal from Dishoom.  This is basically the Chilli Cheese Toast that appears later in the book with a fried egg on top.  A handful of the chile-cheese mixture gets tossed in the frypan on top of the egg before it goes into the oven. 

IMG_4428.thumb.jpeg.40a34d4ae291fe92e35b6bb9b050787b.jpeg

Served with some tomato chutney on the side. 

 

I'm going to have to try the "started on the range, finished in the oven" method for fried eggs. I gave up on fried eggs due to not being able to achieve the results I desired. ie. firm whites with not a trace of brown and a still liquid but not raw looking yolk. Poached has been my go to for years. Occasionally scrambled if I'm goiong to share with my dog - he loves scrambled eggs!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...