• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast 2021

liuzhou

Seared Sweet Potatoes with Kale and Lime Pickle from Carla Lalli Music's That Sounds So Good. The bottom layer is labne (I subbed Greek yogurt) mixed with lime juice and salt.  The Tuscan kale is sautéed with lime pickle added at the end.  Sweet potatoes are steamed (I used the Instant Pot), peeled and roughly broken up before being seared.  Toasted walnuts sprinkled over top. 

IMG_4736.thumb.jpeg.c92509bad5d462c63f7f24230099de4e.jpeg

Carla has a video of this recipe on her YouTube with a link to a recipe download in the comments. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

C08F86CF-8426-48F7-BC65-444C4016112F.thumb.jpeg.52af13f63f055a5e9d17b10425f0c450.jpeg

Skillet toast, sautéed tomatoes and sugar snaps and because I was lacking in the ambition needed to poach an egg, a fried one. All conveniently cooked on the A4 box. 

A4

• Like 4
  • Delicious 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

39 minutes ago, Anna N said:

C08F86CF-8426-48F7-BC65-444C4016112F.thumb.jpeg.52af13f63f055a5e9d17b10425f0c450.jpeg

Skillet toast, sautéed tomatoes and sugar snaps and because I was lacking in the ambition needed to poach an egg, a fried one. All conveniently cooked on the A4 box. 

A4

My first impression was "Jalapenos for breakfast!  Yes!"    Ah...well, sugar snaps are nice.   But you've given me inspiration.

• Like 1

eGullet member #80.

2 hours ago, lemniscate said:

Still loving mine.  I use it for burgers, bacon and hash browns.  I don't know why I haven't used it with eggs yet.  (slaps forehead).

It is perfect for making This.

• Like 2

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, weinoo said:

Bacon, eggs, and good ole NY Jewish-style rye (keeps the bacon in line).

Gorgeous! And just the right amount of pepper. 

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

On 12/4/2021 at 11:26 AM, blue_dolphin said:

The daughter of a French friend of mine said that the sign of a good croissant was a lot of crumbs on the plate.  I'd say that was a good one!

I enjoyed that savory omelet yesterday so I went ahead and made the sweet soufflé omelet from At Home in the Kitchen.  It has a filling of crème fraîche and honey, which promptly liquified and ran out onto the plate and is topped with a bit of jam - I used homemade pear & vanilla bean) and powdered sugar. I had some vanilla bean-infused browned butter leftover from another recipe so I sautéed a sliced pear in that and added a few rum-soaked raisins.  Toast is the heel of a TJ's pumpkin brioche loaf topped with Bordier yuzu butter.  

IMG_4709.thumb.jpeg.75fbe5d1b35d5abcaff7e580e25b5f66.jpeg

Still not crazy for sweet stuff with eggs but this was OK.  I actually preferred the crème fraîche/honey mixture as a sauce on the caramelized pears rather than as an omelet filling so it wasn't necessarily a bad thing that it all leaked out 🙃

Your French friend's daughter would have approved of my plate after finishing the croissant - the plate itself was almost completely hidden by shards of crust!

I'm with you on sweet stuff with eggs - it just doesn't appeal.  BTW - your French toast dish is amazing looking!

This morning we had English muffins, butter, and Benton's bacon in the house.  Ergo:

IMG_7607.thumb.jpg.20e3bb8959487eca5e08485f5ed3d5af.jpg

• Like 3

8EFF463A-7FCF-4DA9-A2C9-784505374204.thumb.jpeg.f8586571bda70b2ab181d2e1501a0cb9.jpeg

My four-legged roomie dumped my remaining grape tomatoes off the counter so, after rinsing them off, I threw them into a very low oven with some oil, garlic and salt and let them roast for a  couple of hours. (They were reaching the end of their useful life anyway.) I scrambled a couple of eggs, toasted a slice of bread, sprinkled some furikaki over the eggs and enjoyed a umami rich breakfast. 

• Like 9
  • Delicious 1

My 2004 eG Blog

It's the most important meal of the day! This time of the year...Christmas cookies at the office. The chocolate one has melted mint/chocolate candy as frosting (guessing Andes).

cookies.jpg

• Like 6

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

0AA58DAB-5544-4EA4-877B-A8CDECD2332D.thumb.jpeg.7175d72cacb4a6f60376dc14fc3443ba.jpeg

Scrambled egg on toast with Chaat masala. 

• Like 4
  • Delicious 1

My 2004 eG Blog

C7BA4CBF-9106-4E12-B66B-7C92C8EA6717.thumb.jpeg.63d9f01b36ef4d838fa12924a1b7c13c.jpeg

Cheddar cheese Toastie with red and green onion, tomato and red pepper. My favourite sprinkle of the moment, Chaat masala, may have found its way onto these after the photograph was taken. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

My 2004 eG Blog

58 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Cheddar cheese Toastie with red and green onion, tomato and red pepper. My favourite sprinkle of the moment, Chaat masala, may have found its way onto these after the photograph was taken. 

Is it chat  masala you mixed up or a blend you purchased? Sounds delightful on the eggs and the toastie.

Despite a bit of an oops this morning (I undercooked the eggs quite drastically) breakfast was amazingly good. A little ginger and a little garlic sauteed to begin with, then chopped scallions and small tomatoes and finally a couple of handfuls of chopped up baby bok choy.  A generous splash of Red Boat fish sauce in which everything steamed for a couple of minutes and then two eggs scrambled into it. The extremely runny eggs were quite acceptable as a dressing but I will spare you the photograph. I know what runny eggs can do to some people. :smile:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

My 2004 eG Blog

960355BA-590B-46A4-85F1-8B7F42922CA8.thumb.jpeg.f955105e06655dfe3166f2dcbdeae5a1.jpeg

Both breakfast and an unexpected food gift. A loaf of UNSLICED raisin bread from the local Dutch store.  So goooooood. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 4

My 2004 eG Blog