• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast 2021

liuzhou

I wanted to show off my California Scones. I make them with an addition of spelt flour (for flavor) and and a bit of quinoa (for texture). I make them here with butter but lard makes for a crispier scone. I can also make them with cream for a more delicate breakfast. :) 

I served it with (homemade) quince jelly, made sugar-free with Pamona Pectin. 

I made a video on YouTube. Just search California Scones, if you want to see it. 

scones.thumb.jpg.feb97428e0e1b330f3ea27522aa05764.jpg

• Like 4
  • Delicious 1

26 minutes ago, cteavin said:

I wanted to show off my California Scones. I make them with an addition of spelt flour (for flavor) and and a bit of quinoa (for texture). I make them here with butter but lard makes for a crispier scone. I can also make them with cream for a more delicate breakfast. :) 

I served it with (homemade) quince jelly, made sugar-free with Pamona Pectin. 

I made a video on YouTube. Just search California Scones, if you want to see it. 

scones.thumb.jpg.feb97428e0e1b330f3ea27522aa05764.jpg

Being a night person I don't usually comment in the breakfast thread -- but that is beautiful!

• Thanks 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

145D1663-9EDF-4C4B-A560-CD64BC40D5FC.thumb.jpeg.0991c5af69e7ea9638994008f990f2c6.jpeg

Sardines in tomato sauce on toasted rye. I was most disturbed that the size of the can had shrunk so much since the last time I purchased these. 

• Like 1
  • Delicious 1
  • Sad 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

4 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Sardines in tomato sauce on toasted rye. I was most disturbed that the size of the can had shrunk so much since the last time I purchased these. 

Yeah, funny how that happens.

Like a 5-pound bag of C&H sugar is now 4-pounds.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

@Steve Irby - those biscuits look gorgeous!  I’ve never had cane syrup (I don't think it's a VA/NC thing), but I’ve seen it at Publix and will by some next time I’m in there.

Jessica made breakfast Thanksgiving Day:

IMG_7461.thumb.jpg.592579a06a47f22be907aeedf5d1e867.jpg

She called this “Trashy Benedict” and it was fantastic.  Hash brown patties, Edwards country ham, poached eggs, and blender hollandaise. 

She also made her wonderful pineapple casserole:

IMG_7460.jpg.a5f7ce0d749f681e48d2f75ecd6110e5.jpg

IMG_7462.thumb.jpg.069801b0c2d13fd195345aa6b206765b.jpg

The day after Thanksgiving:

IMG_7477.jpg.7c1274e020f4f5ab13842519d27d63d6.jpg

Eggs and stuffed celery are leftovers from the day before.

This morning:

IMG_7489.jpg.887a9366c0358cc9512f211f41c45b2c.jpg

The last of the Thanksgiving Sister Schubert rolls bake/steamed to crispy/tenderness in the CSO and the beginning of decent oranges in the stores! 

• Like 6
  • Delicious 1

Inspired somewhat by @Kim Shook’s “Trashy Benedict“. 
1C252D01-7180-4790-BF4D-BE1F7AC7A33A.thumb.jpeg.ef9a97f0056d7143852cf18026a56975.jpeg

Buttered spinach with just a hint of freshly ground nutmeg, egg fried in duck fat and hash brown patties cooked in the air fryer.  

• Like 7
  • Delicious 3

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

508C2D18-D541-4745-BE01-BE409FA14CF9.thumb.jpeg.bfc57b42fdb99cb0600cb7e5c051b8a7.jpeg

Savoury French toast with grape tomatoes and basil paste. Fresh basil would’ve been preferable but on short notice and out of season…. 

• Like 3
  • Delicious 1

My 2004 eG Blog

8 hours ago, MetsFan5 said:

@Kim Shook please thank Jessica for me! I will be making that delicious comfort meal for myself over the weekend by with Taylor Ham giving it a NJ twist. All my favorites and such a brilliant idea with the hash brown patties!

I told her and she was thrilled to hear that she had inspired an eGulleteer!  

Breakfast this morning was from the Lidl bakery case:

IMG_7536.jpg.47f5f1f1a205d0f27da25515027ab195.jpg

• Like 4
  • Delicious 1

Savory omelet soufflé from At Home in the Kitchen

IMG_4704.thumb.jpeg.0d9600f2ca2b0c915b4a593825f6886d.jpeg

Toast buttered with Bordier algues (seaweed) butter.

The book has a sweet version of this omelet with filling of crème fraîche and honey and jam on top.  Less appealing to me than this savory version but maybe I'll give it a try one of these days.

• Like 9
  • Delicious 2

51 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

Savory omelet soufflé from At Home in the Kitchen

I think they should have asked you to illustrate the book! That is a beautiful plate of food. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

My 2004 eG Blog

60EAEFEB-F5C0-41B6-8AB7-060DF277A409.thumb.jpeg.7227820adceb83322f56488867bfdbf6.jpeg

Rye toast with herb and garlic cream cheese and tomatoes. I had such hope for these tomatoes when I opened the clamshell. They were on the vine and smelled of summer. But now I think they have been sprayed with tomato odour because they sure didn’t have any taste of summer or anything else! 

• Like 1
  • Sad 6

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

Rye toast with herb and garlic cream cheese and tomatoes. I had such hope for these tomatoes when I opened the clamshell. They were on the vine and smelled of summer. But now I think they have been sprayed with tomato odour because they sure didn’t have any taste of summer or anything else! 

Those tomatoes look gorgeous which must make the lack of taste even more disappointing!

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Anna N said:

I think they should have asked you to illustrate the book! That is a beautiful plate of food. 

Hers always are beautiful. Such a great food stylist, without a dot of the oddness that stylists sometimes go to.  

Gotta love an eat over the sink breakfast:

IMG_7540.jpg.2ad98f4549f6ed46714d896d9312d70e.jpg

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

Those tomatoes look gorgeous which must make the lack of taste even more disappointing!

Nose/taste disconnect - major let down. Not the real deal but I find a few drops of balsamic on sucky tomatoes a good band-ade.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

Gotta love an eat over the sink breakfast:

IMG_7540.jpg.2ad98f4549f6ed46714d896d9312d70e.jpg

The daughter of a French friend of mine said that the sign of a good croissant was a lot of crumbs on the plate.  I'd say that was a good one!

I enjoyed that savory omelet yesterday so I went ahead and made the sweet soufflé omelet from At Home in the Kitchen.  It has a filling of crème fraîche and honey, which promptly liquified and ran out onto the plate and is topped with a bit of jam - I used homemade pear & vanilla bean) and powdered sugar. I had some vanilla bean-infused browned butter leftover from another recipe so I sautéed a sliced pear in that and added a few rum-soaked raisins.  Toast is the heel of a TJ's pumpkin brioche loaf topped with Bordier yuzu butter.  

IMG_4709.thumb.jpeg.75fbe5d1b35d5abcaff7e580e25b5f66.jpeg

Still not crazy for sweet stuff with eggs but this was OK.  I actually preferred the crème fraîche/honey mixture as a sauce on the caramelized pears rather than as an omelet filling so it wasn't necessarily a bad thing that it all leaked out 🙃

• Like 4

Started a batch of dough last night and left it out all night to rise.  It was ready to go at 3:00 AM.

Eight baguettes out of the oven before 7:00 AM.

Sliced one horizontally and made a toasted back bacon and hard fried egg sandwich big enough for two to share. 

1414621121_BackbaconandfriedeggsandwichDecember4th2021.thumb.jpg.4cbd3cd31e04e3de3e7ed5b26d8c330a.jpg

• Like 7
  • Delicious 4

Lost Bread with Apples from At Home in the Kitchen.  Pain perdu, French toast, whatever you want to call it. This one has a healthy splash of rum and lots of cinnamon in the egg mix. It's topped with sautéed apples, cider syrup and a dollop of whipped cream.  I used TJ's pumpkin brioche loaf for the bread. Made this mostly because it's finished in the oven and I was looking for an excuse to warm things up.  55°F in the house but supposedly warming to mid 70's later so I didn't want to turn on the heat.  Also figured the rum might help with the warming business 🙃

IMG_4718.thumb.jpeg.880de5bdf846574bf4409ff6a0b466f6.jpeg

This is my second slice, hence the dirty plate and fork 🙈

• Like 5
  • Delicious 2
  • Haha 2

52 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

Lost Bread with Apples from At Home in the Kitchen.  Pain perdu, French toast, whatever you want to call it. This one has a healthy splash of rum and lots of cinnamon in the egg mix. It's topped with sautéed apples, cider syrup and a dollop of whipped cream.  I used TJ's pumpkin brioche loaf for the bread. Made this mostly because it's finished in the oven and I was looking for an excuse to warm things up.  55°F in the house but supposedly warming to mid 70's later so I didn't want to turn on the heat.  Also figured the rum might help with the warming business 🙃

IMG_4718.thumb.jpeg.880de5bdf846574bf4409ff6a0b466f6.jpeg

This is my second slice, hence the dirty plate and fork 🙈

I can’t be the only one who has had to buy a book simply because you make their food look so absolutely delicious.  😛

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

"There are no mistakes in bread baking, only more bread crumbs"

*Bernard Clayton, Jr.

5 minutes ago, BetD said:

I can’t be the only one who has had to buy a book simply because you make their food look so absolutely delicious.  😛

Trust me, you are not the only one! Even though I rarely do any serious cooking anymore I own this book! 

• Like 5

My 2004 eG Blog

5ACBF927-BF74-4DC2-861A-735C3AD66A94.thumb.jpeg.e5cd873a50dc4dab32ae4f90c6783a2b.jpeg

Scrambled eggs with nori, soy sauce, toasted sesame oil over rice. 

• Like 6
  • Delicious 2

My 2004 eG Blog