• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast 2021

liuzhou

Kinda weird breakfast but this is what I had today.  Still nibbling...

E0B98C12-D2E3-4A74-8827-5FB5055DBE93_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.a4f70ec452d0b4569846fab299667197.jpeg

Made this fava & chickpea hummus with za'atar from David Kinch's At Home in the Kitchen and cut up the veg yesterday so all I needed to do was plop it on a plate.  It was the path of least resistance. 

• Like 7
  • Delicious 4

On 11/13/2021 at 11:54 AM, blue_dolphin said:

Kinda weird breakfast but this is what I had today.  Still nibbling...

E0B98C12-D2E3-4A74-8827-5FB5055DBE93_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.a4f70ec452d0b4569846fab299667197.jpeg

Made this fava & chickpea hummus with za'atar from David Kinch's At Home in the Kitchen and cut up the veg yesterday so all I needed to do was plop it on a plate.  It was the path of least resistance. 

"Plop it on a plate"...ha! I need to show you the definition of "plop"! LOL

Yours looks grand. My very best plops don't come close.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

You know, Cracker Barrel used to be my go-to for breakfast. No matter where you went, it was consistent. Not awesomely wonderful, but consistently good.

No more. My last breakfast outing to the one here netted me overcooked eggs, undercooked bacon, biscuits that were cold and doughy inside, and butter that just came out of the freezer. And weak coffee. I can stay home and beat that.

• Sad 3

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

27 minutes ago, kayb said:

You know, Cracker Barrel used to be my go-to for breakfast. No matter where you went, it was consistent. Not awesomely wonderful, but consistently good.

No more. My last breakfast outing to the one here netted me overcooked eggs, undercooked bacon, biscuits that were cold and doughy inside, and butter that just came out of the freezer. And weak coffee. I can stay home and beat that.

You could have beat it even if it was good.  I have faith in EG members 

• Like 3

01E11965-E67C-4CBA-BB10-535706EE92A9.thumb.jpeg.90c3f25d4045986ac5db552daace98b6.jpeg Rye toast is not the best substrate for poached eggs but it is what I had. Amazed at the colour of these yolks. 

• Like 7
  • Delicious 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

48 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Rye toast is not the best substrate for poached eggs but it is what I had. Amazed at the colour of these yolks. 

I had poached eggs on rye a couple of days ago. Often do. Didn't take a photo, though. Yes, I prefer a wholewheat bread, but no complaints about rye.

• Like 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

I may have told about having breakfast alone in a cafe in a small town.   Not considering how unusual it was, I ordered poached eggs on rye toast.    It took a LONG time to arrive, as the fry cook incorporated this order into his grill-centric routine.    He also looked around to see who the oddball was who ordered this.

Edited by Margaret Pilgrim (log)
  • Haha 4

eGullet member #80.

2F5BD06B-7541-4218-9803-B38FAB4BF1E8.thumb.jpeg.4476a7ad6a51215a4b48b4e8ca8280ae.jpeg

Mushrooms on toast. Adapted  someqwhat from a recipe in David Kinch’s At Home in the Kitchen
  • Like 5
  • Delicious 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Non-cardiologist approved buttermilk biscuits made with lard and White Lily SR Flour.  Generously anointed with butter and ribbon cane syrup.  I'm 67 and originally from the Philadelphia MS area and the syrup is just like we had as kids.  Not quite the the glorious catheads my grandmother made  but still very tasty. Baked on a cast iron griddle (hoe) that has been handed down at least three generations.

IMG_20211128_102920494.thumb.jpg.94b7e4f0946395e912bff903abf7848d.jpg

• Like 6
  • Delicious 4

@Steve Irby 

very nice , I can appreciate 

the aroma

' Lard ? '

it just depends 

blocks of hydrogenated lard 

piggy flavors removed ?

that's one thing

Fat from a pig 

carefully, carefully rendered and  saved 

its quite another .

a cooking show I watch 

https://www.itv.com/hub/james-martins-saturday-morning/2a5159

and enjoy 

a week ago or so

he used   '' Iberico Pork Fat '

\that came in a jar , and was widely available 

in local ( higher end ? )

markets

I watched this segment w Eagle- ish eyes :

https://www.jamesmartinchef.co.uk/recipes/bangers-with-onion-gravy-and-mash/

https://www.itv.com/hub/james-martins-saturday-morning/2a5159a0172

and for review purposes :  the jar :

JJJ.jpg.da26dbf437659a868213b42baacb53f9.jpg

in the pan :

sss.thumb.jpg.94e773beb067ab48ce8fe1ad54361442.jpg

this looks ' fat - creamy '

and not hard 

anyone know what this is ?

this type of rendered pork fat

perhaps not from Spain 

would be nice to have

for flavor 

next to the Duck fat  ( rendered )

• Like 2

@rotuts Plenty of piggy left in.  I occasionally  go in halves and buy a local hog.  I'll have the hog scalded and split in half or sectioned into primal cuts.   I always get the head, tail, and extra fat.  The last pig had mangalista aspirations  with a 4-6 inch fat cap.  Low and slow on the rendering has yielded very good results.  I vacuum bag in pretty small portions in my VP112.

IMG_20211128_201024163.thumb.jpg.b7a6373d19b3bdd1983c0fb332796a03.jpg   

• Like 5
  • Delicious 2

AB8AADFE-4C67-41F0-A85F-4B19592B063C.thumb.jpeg.ddf1ee1deab86dd677f46023e089c39c.jpeg Apologies to those who are edge-to-edge/wall-to-wall perfectionists. Rye toast with garlic and herb cream cheese and a generous sprinkle (downpour?) of TJ‘s umami seasoning. 

• Like 4

My 2004 eG Blog