• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast 2021

liuzhou

48 minutes ago, Anna N said:

I was so curious I launched a major research effort including the infamous Pickle Barrel where I have eaten many times in the past. But not tuna that’s for damn sure.:smile:

Google told me of a place in Miami called Norman Brothers which was apparently well known for their cranberry tuna salad.
From a news article on their recent closing:

The most popular item: cranberry tuna salad. "We sell about 80 to 100 pounds of it a day," Suggs reports. "It's something that just kept growing over the years. 

The place may be closed but I’m still deeply disturbed by the idea. And I LIKE tuna 🙄

• Haha 3

30 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

Google told me of a place in Miami called Norman Brothers which was apparently well known for their cranberry tuna salad.

The place may be closed but I’m still deeply disturbed by the idea. And I LIKE tuna 🙄

I also came across this recipe but at the very thought of tuna and passion fruit I had to retire to my bed with a G&T and some gravol. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, blue_dolphin said:

Ha! I put dried cranberries in my tuna salad most times ;)

I do all manner of additions with chicken salad, but never have gone beyond sweet relish, mayo, AC vinegar, and hard cooked eggs for tuna.  I may experiment.  

Yesterday:

IMG_6818.jpg.02243bf0a3fc10d6dd700611944c50fc.jpg

Fried egg and deli ham English muffin.  This was a lovely mess a couple of bites in.  My plate was swimming in runny yolk and I was dragging the muffin through it.  Heaven.

This morning:

IMG_6822.jpg.c685f446047d969261c7a2dfe0601356.jpg

Hot Cross buns from the freezer compliments of my MIL at Easter.  

• Like 5
  • Delicious 1

Whole Foods sells a popular prepared cranberry tuna salad.  Back when I was still working, I bought it for lunch once in a while.  It was actually pretty good.  It just had tuna, diced red onion, dried cranberries, some mayo and salt and pepper.  I am the only person in my house that likes tuna salad, so I never make it at home.

• Like 2

A little fridge cleanup generally leads to one of these:

IMG_4724.thumb.jpeg.39d706d4b3e613d61ed24af773579105.jpeg

Which came out very good.  5 egg frittata with meat-sauced spaghetti, broccoli raab, Parmigiano-Reggiano, chives, parsley, dill.

Started on the stovetop in a small enameled cast-iron pan, moved to the CSO and cooked in low oven heat till done.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Smoked turkey, pickled shallot, lettuce and peach sandwich dressed with Vivian Howard's Herbdacious roasted garlic and herb spread from This Will Make It Taste Good

359626566_smokedturkpeachsando.thumb.jpeg.bbffb1a6bc08fcbf471ce7dd69b25a85.jpeg

Vivian's book recommends using Herbdacious on a BLP (bacon, lettuce & peach) so I figured it would work with smoked turkey, too. 

• Like 4
  • Delicious 2

@Ann_T – I showed Mr. Kim your impeccable and perfect poached eggs and we now have egg envy!

@blue_dolphin - I keep meaning to tell you how beautiful your food and your food photography always is.  The peach and ricotta toast from yesterday is especially lovely.

Friday:

IMG_6850.jpg.e993ae98e6dd82a379160568cedb8892.jpg

On Saturday we ran errands and ended up at The Dairy Bar for brunch.  This was the place that used to be the cafeteria for the employees when there was an actual dairy here.  I had the Tricia’s Special:

IMG_6864.jpg.166fc044fe500e7f29bfd83d62404585.jpg

Biscuit, sausage, hashbrowns, scrambled eggs, and gravy.  Mr. Kim had the club:

IMG_6865.jpg.c6d21ba7c698c8a41cb635e100824080.jpg

After church brunch at Jessica’s friends' restaurant, Satterwhite’s.  Mr. Kim had eggs and country fried steak with rye toast:

IMG_6872.jpg.13d2ef603b1b0b437e7e7fad8f3b2f50.jpg

I had an open-faced turkey sandwich with fries and green beans:

IMG_6873.jpg.527b2dcdf35a017a7c8cfa17e194ed1e.jpg

This morning:

IMG_6882.thumb.jpg.5fa8c2071cd11969420f44fedc8c5492.jpg

Martha Stewart recipe for Honey-Caramelized Figs with Yogurt.  We got the figs from the farmer’s market.  This was delicious.

• Like 3
  • Delicious 3

This morning - white peaches and tomatoes on toast - both from the farmer's market:

IMG_6888.jpg.ca952b728e20a00b32aae3ee6708b0b7.jpg

IMG_6889.thumb.jpg.8b6c53e4d3aa07fa87342724add28c00.jpg

I said somewhere that the tomatoes we're getting this year are better than we've had in many years and we'll be sad to see them go.  Luckily, we have one farmer's market nearby that is open on Wednesday mornings and I'm planning a tomato run tomorrow!

• Like 5
  • Delicious 1

@Kim Shook, those honeyed figs and yogurt look and sound sublime, as do your peaches and tomatoes.  What is on the toasts along with the tomatoes?  Mayo?  Whipped mascarpone butter?

From the sublime to the .... well.....sardine:

IMG_4242.thumb.jpeg.c9dbeba827d326ddeedcf53da3fb0707.jpeg

Toasted baguette rubbed with garlic and tomato, topped with sardines and pickled shallot, garnished with basil. 

• Like 4
  • Delicious 1
  • Haha 1

More sardines on toast.  This one is a recipe from Melissa Clark's Dinner, Changing the Game. The ingredient list is very similar to the toasts above but instead of rubbing the toasts with a large tomato, this one uses cherry tomatoes that are halved, seared and tossed with sherry vinegar. 

IMG_4251.thumb.jpeg.5afc3077f7dbd356bb475bed6b691998.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Delicious 1

9 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

Buttered muffin with boiled eggs. Actually, there were two muffins. As an Aberdeen shopkeeper once told me "Yin ba's nau guid fur twa queenies!"

603588228__20210826111409.thumb.jpg.312a37e6ba5652fd9d35659101a11b02.jpg

English muffin?

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

10 hours ago, liuzhou said:

"Yin ba's nau guid fur twa queenies!"

I am happy to admit my total inability to translate this. But I’m curious. 

Edited by Anna N
Typo (log)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog