• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast 2021

liuzhou

10 hours ago, liuzhou said:

Sausage, Egg and Chips. Plus Tomato.

Hunanese blood sausage, fried duck egg.

Wow! That should set you up for the day. It would set me up for the week! Looks quite delicious. 

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

35 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Wow! That should set you up for the day. It would set me up for the week! Looks quite delicious. 

It was very unusual for me; normally I'm a light breakfaster. But then, I'm not usually up at 5am either.  Unless I'm on the way home from the night before, which wasn't the case this time. 

• Haha 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Today first meal out since start of Pandemic. Late breakfast with friends, seated outside, private table, ocean light breeze. Perfect. My very much enjoyed selection:

Avocado Toast
pickled red onion, pickled fresno chile, goat cheese, chia seeds, cilantro, mint, cherry tomatoes
Edited by heidih (log)
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Ann_T said:

434402455_TopSirloinRoastBreakfastJuly27th2021.thumb.jpg.7fe2a77b654024843ec2509624c342e1.jpg

Roast beef with Yorkshire Puddings for breakfast this morning.

675389324_YorkshirePuddingJuly27th2021.thumb.jpg.ad27a7d6de767b242a033d67c60acc39.jpg

And instead of full size Yorkshires I made small ones.

Okay. That one did it.

Can I be Moe's best friend? Can I be invited for an overnight?

I'll clean your bathrooms....whatever you need.

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

@Ann_T – dear Lord, Ann!  That roast dinner for breakfast.  Just completely amazing.  As is, of course, the follow-up sandwich.  Those Yorkies are just begging to be stuffed full of the beef and drenched in gravy! 

Our close-by independent doughnut shop is no longer open 24 hours, so Jessica and I were forced to go to Wawa late last Wednesday night for the doughnuts we were craving😁.  That’s an Entenmann’s plain doughnut (I am oddly enamoured of plain doughnuts) next to bacon, an IP egg, and a sausage biscuit (I cooked the sage sausage, but the biscuit was leftover from Popeye’s the night before):

IMG_6585.jpg.df8d71b09190cbb71cb54d417bd464e3.jpg

Monday:

IMG_6597.thumb.jpg.ab83a69b1139d288295d6b8c97848d4c.jpg

Sweet roll that Jessica brought from the (open) doughnut shop, leftover “Italian” bread that I never used for dinner, sage sausage, and scrambles.

Tuesday:

IMG_6602.jpg.f4239bad64a02af5971187a47e0b40fc.jpg

Cinnamon applesauce and ham and egg on an English muffin.

Today:

IMG_6605.thumb.jpg.ce1186ab2a8df3062f2a0219127fee91.jpg

• Like 5
  • Delicious 1

6 hours ago, liuzhou said:

xiǎo lóng bāo

These are “soup dumplings“?

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

6 minutes ago, Anna N said:

These are “soup dumplings“?

I was just sitting here thinking that I have another entry for my China Food Myths topic, which I'll address tomorrow. If I get it right, that will answer your question.

For now, please just let me say they are related.

• Thanks 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

This here is Anna Banana's Nanner Pudding, served directly in the 1-pint deli tub I picked it up in along with my BBQ items this weekend.

IMG_4168.thumb.jpeg.1cfeb318185a14507d4f5de4900513b9.jpeg

Made by and named for Anna Nicole Lindsay, wife of pit-master/chef Logan Sandoval of local pop-up Zef BBQ, it is apparently one of their most popular items.  First time I ordered it, I expected to have a spoon or two to see what the hype was but never expected it to be so good.  My brother makes a banana pudding that his family swoons over but it's very sweet and completely unappealing to me.  This stuff is another level of banana pudding.  Not too sweet.  Perfect balance of rich and airy pudding. Nice spices in the crumble layer along with pieces of fresh banana.  Mmmmmm.

Thoroughly enjoyed with a big mug of strong, black coffee - quite a struggle to only eat half. 

• Like 5
  • Delicious 1

@liuzhou – I usually love smoked fish and would like to try those sprats!

Went to our favorite pharmacy lunch counter for post-church breakfast on Sunday.  Mr. Kim’s:

IMG_6617.jpg.fdfcca7406a787bcb51b81e28976f27a.jpg

The eggs were perfect, and the country ham was great, but the pancake was very gummy☹️.  Mine:

IMG_6618.jpg.50100a795b6d933efaca8af58563d5a3.jpg

This was exactly what I wanted and so good.    

This morning:

IMG_6622.thumb.jpg.a7b0931488ba760b476a6bb62fc9a9b4.jpg

Ham slice, IP eggs, purchased Belgian waffles. 

• Like 3

It took me far too many years, but I finally created a wild huckleberry pancake recipe, served with whipped mascarpone butter. 

#3 - Copy (2).JPG

• Like 8
  • Delicious 3

20 hours ago, David Ross said:

It took me far too many years, but I finally created a wild huckleberry pancake recipe, served with whipped mascarpone butter. 

#3 - Copy (2).JPG

Now I'm going to make mascarpone butter and always have it in the fridge. Delicious this morning on toast.

• Like 3

@David Ross - those pancakes are gorgeous!  Between your fabulous looking ones and the crappy one that Mr. Kim got on Sunday, I believe I need to make pancakes soon!  Please explain whipped mascarpone butter!  

This morning was a toasted Lidl croissant with bacon and IP eggs:

IMG_6629.jpg.329b6e23400dcd032a2bb59066c955a5.jpg

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

@David Ross - those pancakes are gorgeous!  Between your fabulous looking ones and the crappy one that Mr. Kim got on Sunday, I believe I need to make pancakes soon!  Please explain whipped mascarpone butter!  

This morning was a toasted Lidl croissant with bacon and IP eggs:

IMG_6629.jpg.329b6e23400dcd032a2bb59066c955a5.jpg

The whipped mascarpone butter was something that just popped into my head.  Earlier this summer I had made a blueberry pie and piped some mascarpone rosettes on top of the pie.  Then as I was writing the new recipe for the huckleberry pancakes somehow my mind remembered mascarpone.  I wanted something different than just regular butter to top the pancakes and I thought mascarpone combined with butter would work, not to heavy of a cheesy flavor but to add a little creaminess and tang and more flavor to the butter.  Just softened and whipped with an electric hand mixer.

• Like 3

A very messy little sandwich.   Smoked turkey (from my weekend BBQ pick-up),lettuce,  pickled cherries, a bit of gorgonzola and radishes on a TJ's take-and-bake roll. 

Dressing was a cherry Dijon mayo - I reduced the brine from the pickled cherries to a thick syrup and mixed that with some mustard, mayo and hot sauce.  Smoked turkey was cut up and warmed in the CSO.  

1777546599_IMG_4178(1).thumb.jpeg.57dd40bf12e4782415aeb86b089eb622.jpeg

Good combo but needs work. I wanted the pickled cherries to be distinct but they tend to slide out so maybe I should have chopped them with some of that reduced brine into a relish layer.  

Too late, but maybe next time!

• Like 6
  • Delicious 1