• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast 2021

liuzhou

Yesterday:

IMG_6046.thumb.jpg.b5db132b6ac59877fca881178fd266e8.jpg

Fruit salad (mango, pineapple, blackberries dressing with lime juice), IP hard-cooked eggs and toast – one sliced adorned with my beloved Little Scarlett strawberry preserves. 

This morning:

IMG_6059.jpg.4875d385e02a365ad5605a2a9c44fb50.jpg

Classic – tomatoes on toast.  One of the few weekday breakfasts my mother could get me to eat.  She was still making them for me up until the time she finally moved out from her apartment. 

• Like 4
  • Delicious 1

Julia Turshen calls this An Egg in a Cheese Skirt in her book, Simply Julia.  I prefer Frico Fried Egg.  Either way, it's fun!

IMG_3954.thumb.jpeg.e1aa6d755247429632f27e343e9bfe42.jpeg

Had the egg with Walnut "Sausage" Patties and Sweet Potato Hash Browns, also from that book. 

947293649_IMG_3955(1).thumb.jpeg.b6d1fc1b0c0eadf5a60e574f58c82d6e.jpeg

In my hands, the sweet potatoes were "hash" rather than "hash browns" and the patties need a major seasoning adjustment to boost the umami level.  Should I make them again, I'd up the amount of sage, add plenty of black pepper and try Worcestershire sauce, soy sauce or some of that TJ's mushroom umami seasoning in lieu of some or all of the salt.

• Like 7
  • Delicious 2

When you bring appetizing to your in-laws...

IMG_4237.thumb.jpeg.12fe10e39d64526ea9802d87c3663724.jpeg

and that brunch appetizing is from Russ & Daughters, always secret away a schtickle to bring home and have for breakfast the following day.

Gaspé nova not lox, their famous, addictive whitefish/kippered salmon salad, smoked sable (aka black cod).

Capers (not caper berries), cucumber and tomato. Not shown - the bagels and cream cheese.

Edited by weinoo (log)
  • Like 7

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

On 5/27/2021 at 1:01 PM, blue_dolphin said:

Spaghetti with bottarga from Marcella's Essentials of Classic Italian Cooking

IMG_3951.thumb.jpeg.0f553f1735d6eeb2fa6f2a1a2f08d7d4.jpeg

Being breakfast, I considered adding a poached egg, but why mess with perfection!

One of my favorite pastas, from one of my favorite books, from one of my favorite authors. 

What a treat it must’ve been to have been a student of hers in her NYC apartment.

Edited by weinoo (log)
  • Like 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

58 minutes ago, chefmd said:

Quinoa, rice, kale stems, leftover chicken nuggets.  Sorta like fried rice but we are out of the eggs 😯

Fried rice doesn't need eggs. Many fried rice classics here have no eggs.

• Like 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

On 5/27/2021 at 10:01 AM, blue_dolphin said:

Being breakfast, I considered adding a poached egg, but why mess with perfection!

My kind of breakfast.   No egg needed.

623135501_BaguetteMay31st2021.thumb.jpg.ea3e223b3e144bb5f95fbb697b57c590.jpg

Baked pizza and baguettes yesterday and this morning 

1364497227_ToastedbaguetteJune1st2021.thumb.jpg.9e942cb3fa93057fc9198c0bf217b0bf.jpg

all Moe wanted for breakfast was toasted baguette and bacon.

• Like 5

Oyster balls in fish stock with garlic, ginger, chilli and Shanghai greens (which you probably call baby bok choy, but no one in China does. Baby bok choy in China is something else!)

543220841__20210603174301.thumb.jpg.7572d7b1bf0eabde7565ffbe8622ff19.jpg

849485351__20210603175527.thumb.jpg.14cfb7fe5a982f581aaf21a97551421b.jpg

上海青 ( shàng hǎi qīng) - Shanghai Greens

xiao baicai.jpg

小白菜 (xiǎo bái cài) - Baby Bok Choy

• Like 3
  • Delicious 1

4 hours ago, liuzhou said:

(which you probably call baby bok choy

Actually the green that we call baby bok choy does not look like that. It has very white stems and much more crinkly leaves. If I’m not mistaken we call the one that you illustrate Shanghai bok choy.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

26 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Actually the green that we call baby bok choy does not look like that. It has very white stems and much more crinkly leaves. If I’m not mistaken we call the one that you illustrate Shanghai bok choy.

I think it depends on one's location and type of market. An Asian customer who is familiar or anyone who is, no need for names. In my experience the white stemmers are labeled differently. The bags of "baby" are that pretty green. Love them all though I prefer the greener on a visual bias.

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

If you mean the first image, then yes it's sometimes known as Shanghai Bok Choy but more commonly Shanghai Qing meaning Shanghai Greens. 

Yet I see it called Baby Bok Choy all the time on the interwebs and magazines etc. 

The second vegetable I showed is what is called Baby Bok Choy here. 

There are several brassicas with white stems and crinkly leaves, soo I'm not sure which one you mean. 

I mentioned this in more detail in the Chinese Vegetables Illustrated topic from a while back. 

8 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

There are several brassicas with white stems and crinkly leaves, soo I'm not sure which one you mean. 

This. The large central image.

As the baby bok choy became smaller and smaller I began renaming it as neonatal bok choy and finally foetal bok choy. 😂

• Haha 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

16 minutes ago, Anna N said:

This. The large central image.

That is a variant on the Shanghai Greens I posted. A Cantonese variant. They are the same plant as I posted - Brassica rapa subsp. chinensis. Never referred to as Baby Bok Choy, here, as I  said.

Chinese vegetables are a minefield when it comes to names.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Thanks 1

On 6/1/2021 at 5:47 PM, IowaDee said:

With your amazing breakfasts, I fully except to be wishing Mo a Happy 90th Birthday!  Can't think of a much better reason to ht the floor in the morning!

@IowaDeeMoe just turned 80 not 90. Let's not rush the next 10 years

2 hours ago, scamhi said:

@IowaDeeMoe just turned 80 not 90. Let's not rush the next 10 years

I assumed that @IowaDee was looking forward to 10 more years of stunning breakfast photos before offering that particular wish - as am I! 

L-E-O Scramble from Simply Julia, described as salty Lox, creamy Eggs and sweet browned Onions

IMG_3976.thumb.jpeg.8d8b1314b72ac7720c842ef042446c5c.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Delicious 2

On 6/1/2021 at 2:47 PM, IowaDee said:

With your amazing breakfasts, I fully except to be wishing Mo a Happy 90th Birthday!  Can't think of a much better reason to ht the floor in the morning!

I sure hope you are right @IowaDee.

1582857265_GingerBeefwithgreenbeanstirfryJune5th2021.thumb.jpg.74171681fd1a6318d8d12204c0ab6ad6.jpg

I still had a small piece of beef tenderloin left from last night that I didn't cook. So this morning I made

Moe Ginger Beef with a green bean stirfry for breakfast and I'm going to take the same thing to work for lunch.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Ann_T said:

I sure hope you are right @IowaDee.

1582857265_GingerBeefwithgreenbeanstirfryJune5th2021.thumb.jpg.74171681fd1a6318d8d12204c0ab6ad6.jpg

I still had a small piece of beef tenderloin left from last night that I didn't cook. So this morning I made

Moe Ginger Beef with a green bean stirfry for breakfast and I'm going to take the same thing to work for lunch.

You are such an over-achiever!!!   I look at your meals and breads and feel like a sloth.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

25 minutes ago, lindag said:

You are such an over-achiever!!!   I look at your meals and breads and feel like a sloth.

Maybe I'll start posting my breakfasts so that people can feel better about themselves.

• Haha 8