• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast 2021

liuzhou

8 hours ago, liuzhou said:

Book not essential, but recommended.

But wait – – – – what a marvellous book holder! Surely not something found in a restaurant? And yet the surroundings suggest it is so. Or perhaps you carry it with you?

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

1 minute ago, Anna N said:

But wait – – – – what a marvellous book holder! Surely not something found in a restaurant? And yet the surroundings suggest it is so. Or perhaps you carry it with you?

No. Not a restaurant. A friend/colleague's home. We met there before going off to do some very light work together. The book holder is hers; the book is mine. But the holders are common here.

• Like 2

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

2 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

No. Not a restaurant. A friend/colleague's home. We met there before going off to do some very light work together. The book holder is hers; the book is mine. But the holders are common here.

Thank you so much. It’s a very neat gadget. These days I work better with an iPad propped at the right angle and with the typeface appropriately adjusted for ancient eyes! But there was a time when I would have appreciated such a thing. 

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Moe's been requesting Fish Cakes/Patties recently. Something I don't make often.

570392521_HalibutPattieswithcreamsauceApril26th2021.thumb.jpg.8f85588cbee7cb861f00210b47a39ef1.jpg

I cooked extra halibut last night and made him Halibut Cakes for breakfast in a cream sauce with peas.
1396745005_HalibutPattieswithcreamsauceApril26th20211.thumb.jpg.5e4b7ad8b94fba6b6705378fb78276d0.jpg
Moe's been requesting Fish Cakes/Patties recently. Something I don't make often.
I cooked extra halibut last night and made him Halibut Cakes for breakfast in a cream sauce with peas.
  • Like 5
  • Delicious 4

@blue_dolphin – the waffle and strawberries look so good.  Can’t wait for strawberries to start coming in.

@Ann_T – the halibut cakes look delicious!  I am a big fan of creamy fish dishes and know I’d love that.

On Saturday, I took Jessica to get her 2nd vaccination shot and we got brunch afterwards from Salt and Forge.  She had the Ham & Jam biscuit:

IMG_5688.jpg.7674ca9de35d020f5ea3f7c13a04ee20.jpg

Edward’s country ham, Brie, and house-made jam.  Mine was house-made sausage, a fried egg, and cheese:

IMG_5690.jpg.4ba5e1da87398d7aee716cc97f9b53ee.jpg

These are easily as big as my hand.  We’ve never had anything there less than delicious and this was no exception.

This morning was an ET bagel with lox cream cheese:

IMG_5707.thumb.jpg.f02e534658ebea0655e51bcc8e5e6cf1.jpg

I know that bagel aficionados don’t like the idea of toasting a bagel, but I’m a southerner and I love a well-toasted bagel.  But then, I have no problem with sweet bagels, either.

• Like 5
  • Delicious 1

6 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

I know that bagel aficionados don’t like the idea of toasting a bagel, but I’m a southerner and I love a well-toasted bagel.  But then, I have no problem with sweet bagels, either.

Really?  Who knew.  They obviously don't know what they are missing.      I love a well toasted bagel with sliced tomatoes.   Or even better with peameal bacon and tomato.  

• Delicious 1

19 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

@blue_dolphin – the waffle and strawberries look so good.  Can’t wait for strawberries to start coming in.

@Ann_T – the halibut cakes look delicious!  I am a big fan of creamy fish dishes and know I’d love that.

On Saturday, I took Jessica to get her 2nd vaccination shot and we got brunch afterwards from Salt and Forge.  She had the Ham & Jam biscuit:

IMG_5688.jpg.7674ca9de35d020f5ea3f7c13a04ee20.jpg

Edward’s country ham, Brie, and house-made jam.  Mine was house-made sausage, a fried egg, and cheese:

IMG_5690.jpg.4ba5e1da87398d7aee716cc97f9b53ee.jpg

These are easily as big as my hand.  We’ve never had anything there less than delicious and this was no exception.

This morning was an ET bagel with lox cream cheese:

IMG_5707.thumb.jpg.f02e534658ebea0655e51bcc8e5e6cf1.jpg

I don't know where you got that idea about toasting bagels. I grew up toasting them, and I always do it still. Untoasted bagels are good for teething kids, or kids who need distraction. Lightly toasted, open face everything or onion bagel with good cream cheese and lox is my comfort food. 

• Like 2

P,B & J

IMG_3797.thumb.jpeg.44b016254c6aee60d2785f052ebd46a9.jpeg

That's peanut butter, bacon and  jalapeño 🙃

Inspired by the recipe in Max's Sandwich Book.  I couldn't quite imagine the pickled peppers in this sandwich so I made a small one to see.  Not bad, really. 

Max puts this sandwich in the breakfast section and suggests having it with a cheeky beer or, if it's really early, Campari & OJ, a morning beverage recommended by his dad because it looks like you're drinking grapefruit juice 🤣

• Like 1
  • Delicious 2

24 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

P,B & J

IMG_3797.thumb.jpeg.44b016254c6aee60d2785f052ebd46a9.jpeg

That's peanut butter, bacon and  jalapeño 🙃

Inspired by the recipe in Max's Sandwich Book.  I couldn't quite imagine the pickled peppers in this sandwich so I made a small one to see.  Not bad, really. 

Max puts this sandwich in the breakfast section and suggests having it with a cheeky beer or, if it's really early, Campari & OJ, a morning beverage recommended by his dad because it looks like you're drinking grapefruit juice 🤣

This is right up my alley.  I used to eat peanut butter and pickle sandwiches.

• Like 1

On 4/27/2021 at 11:30 AM, Katie Meadow said:

I don't know where you got that idea about toasting bagels. I grew up toasting them, and I always do it still. Untoasted bagels are good for teething kids, or kids who need distraction. Lightly toasted, open face everything or onion bagel with good cream cheese and lox is my comfort food. 

Well, I'm glad to know I am misremembering!  I always thought that New Yorkers scorned toasting bagels.  I know that there is a bagel place in Charlottesville VA that says they are "NYC Style" and they refuse to toast.  Because it "changes" the bagel🙄.  Well, so does putting cream cheese on it and they do that.  I think they just don't want to take the time.  Anyway, I used up the last of the lox cream cheese on a toasted poppyseed this morning:  

IMG_5729.thumb.jpg.65edfb8c1113d2ba6b72b0eb59998203.jpg

• Like 3
  • Delicious 1

I knew this was going to be impossible to photograph well. Soup for breakfast.

速食紫菜 (sù shí zǐ cài - instant seaweed soup.) Basically, it is seaweed (laver) in a seafood broth with sesame oil to finish. I could have pimped it up with some shrimp or squid or something, but I don't have any and I ain't going out at 6 am looking for it! It's fine as it is. A umami wake-up.

20210430_092541.thumb.jpg.3470720234da691670be118f0e4c9aba.jpg

20210430_093015.thumb.jpg.2d3aea92ffe07e23830b183bea99923e.jpg

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 4

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Whenever you sh0w a seaweed heavy dish it reminds me of a bit in the Time Life Foods of the World about Alaska and kelp pickled.  I think they showed the bladders and some rings Must dig up my book.

Edited by heidih (log)

Roasted Cauliflower with Paprika Aioli and Soft Herbs from Bestia

B853CBFE-BC3D-4457-B5E1-10D58FD50C72_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.ba58a64fedd0a4430db3990acf06c969.jpeg

Made the paprika aioli last week and have been using it on sandwiches and as a dip for tater tots.  A heat wave has been discouraging me from cranking up the oven in the evening so I decided I might as well make this for breakfast. 

Overly fussy cooking method - sear in a hot pan with garlic & oil, transfer to broiler, then back on the stove to cook with a splash of white wine before garnishing with lime zest and the herbs.   A basic oven roast would be fine. 

• Like 8
  • Delicious 1

That's wonderful too see all what you have for breakfast ^^ As a French it's more sugar things... Like baguette of bread with jam or chocolate spread. With a greeeat bean-to-cup coffee 😃

But my personal breakfast is :

Oatmeal, chia seeds, almonds, dark chocolate, goji berries with almond milk, and on top bananas, strawberries and peanut butter. 

Will update my post with a photo during the weekend 😀

Edited by Jonas (log)
  • Like 3
  • Delicious 1

6 hours ago, Jonas said:

That's wonderful too see all what you have for breakfast ^^ As a French it's more sugar things... Like baguette of bread with jam or chocolate spread. With a greeeat bean-to-cup coffee 😃

But my personal breakfast is :

Oatmeal, chia seeds, almonds, dark chocolate, goji berries with almond milk, and on top bananas, strawberries and peanut butter. 

Will update my post with a photo during the weekend 😀

Welcome. Your breakfast is not so uncommon on this forum. Everyone finds the spot that satisfies For me it is more protein- maybe eggs, vegetables, and toasted homemade bread with a light smear of citrus marmalade. I like sweet & savory together. 

• Like 1

Art. 

I found another German Sausage cart at the Eumundi Markets (actually there were 2 😲). Bratwurst, Onion, refrained from the Sauerkraut for authenticity. Only complaint was the non crustiness of the roll. Husband had Momos but he ate them too quick. 

20210501_183127.thumb.jpg.4512df511802e91f12aae48dc15d5e90.jpg

Edited by CantCookStillTry (log)
  • Like 5
  • Delicious 1