• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast 2021

liuzhou

Very nice!

...and welcome to the wonderful world of eG. :)

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

6 minutes ago, heidih said:

@blue_dolphin Nice shrimp but most impressed by the vibrant radish tops. I like to grow a big pot of those quick growers just for snipping.

Those were from a bunch of watermelon radishes that I bought at the farmers market.  The greens were a couple of feet long, at least, and the stems were a bit thick but they cooked up quite nicely. 

• Like 1

i don't really like eating food in the mornings. i also don't really like being hungry.

IMG_0887.thumb.jpeg.9fe1582708c574a47aacbd466e027e21.jpeg'

i tend to go between various proteins and additives. this is hemp protein with whole flax. so many omegas. so much fibre.

edit: not sure why this is sad; they taste kind of like a milkshake and keep me full until lunch without much effort.

Edited by jimb0 (log)
  • Sad 1

On 2/22/2021 at 3:30 PM, Ann_T said:
I made puff pastry before leaving for work yesterday with the intention of baking these little puff pastry tarts with eggplant.
Plans changed so I made them this morning for breakfast.
8086551_PuffpastrywithEggplantFebruary22nd2021.thumb.jpg.173e92bf9659ff3cd843d83be82d79a6.jpg

Puff pastry was topped with creme fraiche seasoned with fresh garlic, salt and pepper and topped with fried eggplant, roasted tomato and a dollop of pesto sauce.

if it weren't for the eggplant...

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, gfweb said:

if it weren't for the eggplant...

those look great. i'll take their portion since i like eggplant. though i personally would add ricotta instead of crème fraîche i think

Jachnun brunch.

Jachnun is a Jewish Yemenite pastry made of a sweetened laminated dough that is baked all night long so that it develops a rich somewhat savory flavor, the sweetness mellows, and if using butter (as I do) an amazing butterscotch flavor (sadly most don't - margarine is used for Kosher reasons). I also add a bit of fenugreek which adds subtle flavor of maple and spice.

This may sound like a dessert, and I indeed like mine best with honey and a bit of rich yogurt, but the most common way to serve it is with haminnados eggs (also baked all night) and raw tomato sauce spiced with zchug.

Home made green zchug, store bought red one. Also a salad, Tzfat cheese, pickles, tahini sauce. Ouzo (no problem with an early drink if it's brunch, right?).

It's notoriously hard to make and unhealthy (being dense with fat and carbs).

I cheat a little by making a dried dough then traditional and rolling it in a pasta maker. Followed by further hand-stretching so that it is thinner. I compensate forth dried dough by adding water to the pot they are baked in before and after baking. So it's actually quite simple.

PXL_20210130_110904736.thumb.jpg.3676253f96f0bf18c0bbf8b276a1deaa.jpgPXL_20210130_112638165.thumb.jpg.70610f9d002c97b507b1a749276a4c07.jpg

Before baking.

PXL_20210129_214525855.thumb.jpg.f35bc1f510051b2adf7d81972b768571.jpg

Edited by shain (log)
  • Like 7
  • Delicious 1

~ Shai N.

12 minutes ago, shain said:

Jachnun brunch.

Jachnun is a Jewish Yemenite pastry made of a sweetened laminated dough that is baked all night long so that it develops a rich somewhat savory flavor, the sweetness mellows, and if using butter (as I do) an amazing butterscotch flavor (sadly most don't - margarine is used for Kosher reasons). I also add a bit of fenugreek which adds subtle flavor of maple and spice.

You reminded m that fenugreek needs to be on my pantry purchase list. The maple aspect was amusingly discussed here https://www.seriouseats.com/2020/10/sotolon-flavor-molecule.html

• Like 2

4 hours ago, jimb0 said:

whoa, those look great. really interested in exploring such a long bake. 

Thanks! I highly recommend you try some, it has very unique effects.

Hamminados eggs are a great start - just throw them in a 100dC oven overnight - very special taste, goes well in sandwiches, egg salad, with tahini etc. Also great over Chinese rice with chili oil and a touch of vinegar.

Jerusalem kugel is another delicious and easy thing to try. Here's a recipe: 

You can also try a kubaneh if rolling jachnun seems like too much work. It's a basic and easy to make brioche like bread baked overnight with a few spices. Very similar to jachnun in taste (but not in texture).

And there's tchoulent, of course.

• Like 2

~ Shai N.

A couple of recent breakfasts:

IMG_5185.thumb.jpg.92794d4d8e9339eefafda6fa921e9e90.jpg

Scrambled eggs, sausage (which were not burnt at ALL, they just look it), Billy Bread (locally produced sourdough bread) with toast dope – which was kind of legendary meets legendary. 

This morning:

IMG_5195.jpg.7ac608e0989d4c7d8f4f3e2522ad56c2.jpg

Basted eggs, bacon, toasted bread machine white bread – one slice of which has some of my beloved Tiptree Little Scarlet preserves on it.  My eggs were so weird – the two yolks were literally one inch apart and SO different: one was flowy and perfect, the other was jammy and set all the way through.  Both were good, but it was odd. 

• Like 4

On 3/1/2021 at 6:21 AM, jimb0 said:

i don't really like eating food in the mornings. i also don't really like being hungry.

IMG_0887.thumb.jpeg.9fe1582708c574a47aacbd466e027e21.jpeg'

i tend to go between various proteins and additives. this is hemp protein with whole flax. so many omegas. so much fibre.

edit: not sure why this is sad; they taste kind of like a milkshake and keep me full until lunch without much effort.

@jimb0, what else is in there, besides hemp protein and flax? TIA.

• Like 1

On 3/1/2021 at 6:57 AM, shain said:

This may sound like a dessert, and I indeed like mine best with honey and a bit of rich yogurt, but the most common way to serve it is with haminnados eggs (also baked all night) and raw tomato sauce spiced with zchug.

Home made green zchug, store bought red one. Also a salad, Tzfat cheese, pickles, tahini sauce. Ouzo (no problem with an early drink if it's brunch, right?).

PXL_20210130_110904736.thumb.jpg.3676253f96f0bf18c0bbf8b276a1deaa.jpg

@shain, those sauces and condiments on the far side of the plate look really delicious.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, MokaPot said:

@shain, those sauces and condiments on the far side of the plate look really delicious.

Thanks :) Zchug is my favorite type of hot sauce - they are also quite varied in flavor, no two are alike.

~ Shai N.

3 hours ago, MokaPot said:

@jimb0, what else is in there, besides hemp protein and flax? TIA.

haha, not much. ice, water, a little flavour mix (xanthan, sucralose, flavour). i usually vacillate between doing hemp, chia, other seeds, nuts, or a blend. i might do hemp or pea protein, usually. i tend to shoot for ~ 300 calories, high in protein, moderate fats, low in non-fibre carbohydrates.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, heidih said:

@Kim Shook That Billy Bread w/ the toast dope is calling. As to your egg situation - time for angel intervention  https://www.target.com/p/jar-candle-angel-de-la-guardia-white-continental-candle/-

LOLOLOL.  I actually have that print on a plaque in my attic somewhere!  Some relative of Mr. Kim's gave it to Jessica when she was Christened to go over her bed.  I should dig it up and hang it in the ktchen.  😄

• Haha 1

My ex used to joke that her own personal guardian angel must be a hulking bruiser named Luigi, or she'd be dead by now...

• Haha 2

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning