• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast 2021

liuzhou

On 2/20/2021 at 7:26 PM, kayb said:

That's the range mine are in. Don't know why the dang things don't rise.

I've had the same issue a lot (this is why there is a blue bag full of things in my freezer that do NOT belong in the home of a GRITS).  The best ones I've made are the ones where I patted out the dough (by hand) and folded it over itself.  

This morning:

IMG_5138.jpg.a819a74e46a8ae413712e382a387cd9f.jpg

Toasted bread machine bread and IP egg.  

• Like 3

not an unusual breakfast for me :

Mise :

CBD1.thumb.jpg.f0c7583637dd5181bb28a12815a563dd.jpg

N.B.:  although its hard to see , this can claims to include " Hearty Meat "

I did not bother to read the back ingredient list.

can't change it.  this is a current staple. from Target

its The Chef's best effort.

Amendments are noted here :  Penzeys granulated garlic, granulated onion , and Tuscan Sunset.

TS has some anise in it .  Italian Blend  does not.  Im not a big fan of anise, but I like a little of that

flavor in " Italian-ish " .

note the olive oil in the small squeeze bottle :  Kalamata from Greece , via TJ's.   I keep

the small decanter ( pictured ) and the tall bottle in the coldest part of the refrigerator.  

Use as needed from the plastic squeeze bottle.   much less oxidation that way.

final bowl :

CBD2.thumb.jpg.9ce433913c0369a3c8d79432d21b4a96.jpg

final breakfast bowl.  you might note the olive oil.

not a bad breakfast , and the amendments make all the difference.

You are welcome to snicker .

but as The Calculus teaches us :  f(x) approaches zero.

f(x) is the ' risk ' of grocery shopping these days.

in this preparation the risk  approaches , but  does not quite make it to zero.

close though .

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 4

@rotuts – your breakfast reminds me of some lasagna soup I make and reminds me that I want to have it again soon!  You’ve also reminded me that I need to transfer a bit of my new bottle of EVOO into a squeeze bottle and refrigerate the rest.

@AlaMoi – I’m madly in love with Nicco.  I would share all my breakfasts with him.

I made a batch of the fruit drop scones that @blue_dolphin introduced:

IMG_5147.jpg.0f08ca5a54a8107ed80e6c4cb388528a.jpg

Thank you, ma'am!  I used blueberries.  I’d love to try them with black currants, but they are impossible to find here even though they are technically not banned anymore.  They would also be perfect with the tiny little wild blueberries.  I need to get a jar of clotted cream for next time.  Served with maple syrup and sausage:

IMG_5150.jpg.86bcf623f14bc613a8a935acb6899a0c.jpg

• Like 6
  • Delicious 2

1 hour ago, Captain said:

Scone's?????????

Yes. They was what we called 'scones' when I was a kid growing up in Scotland. The other kind of scones were some kind of alien English perversion.

(Actually, I like both.)

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

6 hours ago, liuzhou said:

Yes. They was what we called 'scones' when I was a kid growing up in Scotland. The other kind of scones were some kind of alien English perversion.

We also called them pancakes. It was all a plot to confound the English - we baffled them by havng scones which they thought weren't scones and pancakes they thought weren't pancakes and twisted the knife further by them both being exactly the same thing.

They have never recovered. As for swedes and turnips. Don't go there!

• Haha 8

I had forgotten and found a small (properly stored) piece of black truffle.

1830919201_Frittatablacktruffleartichoke02-24.thumb.jpeg.edc1df1b5c26fdc7922cbda04bd9d210.jpeg

While it wasn't spoiled, it had certainly lost a lot of its wonderful aroma. But it went fine in this baked frittata with artichoke heart and black truffle.

Edited by weinoo (log)
  • Like 6

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

17 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

Actually, they reminded me of your pikelets that I made! 

Drop scones and pikelets are the same thing. The name 'pikelet' is more common in Australia and New Zealand, although it comes from the Welsh.

1952 B. Nilson Penguin Cookery Bk. xviii. 332 Drop Scones, Pikelets‥or Scotch Pancakes. Cooking time 3–4 minutes each batch.

[ad. Welsh bara pyglyd ‘pitchy bread,’ perh. in reference to its colour.]

(See quot.)

1611 Cotgr., Popelins, soft cakes made of fine flower, kneaded with milke, etc.‥like our Welsh Barrapyclids.    1687 Holme Armorie iii. iii. 86 Barra Pickled, a light Bread made in round Cakes.    

1704 Dict. Rust. et Urb., Bara-picklet, is Bread made of fine Flower, and knead up with Barm. [So 1852 in Brande.]

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Made the Penne with Brussels Sprouts with Bacon from Melissa Clark's Dinner: Changing the Game with garganelli instead of penne, a bit of country ham instead of bacon and added an egg since it's breakfast

IMG_3595.thumb.jpeg.bf2cd85d69edc44befdc45211f774d6e.jpeg

Should have just tossed the raw egg in to the pan with the pasta so I could call it Smoky Brussels Sprouts Carbonara 🙃

Edited by blue_dolphin (log)
  • Like 5
  • Haha 3

7 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

Actually, they reminded me of your pikelets that I made! 

The very same thought.  Despite the deception they look very tasty and have inspired me to make some Pikelets this weekend.

• Like 1

A bit of a (partially) failed experiment. I intended to pimp up the popular standard Chinese scrambled egg and tomato with scallion dish (which I've made a million times) by adding some green chillies.

I fried the tomatoes and chilli in one pan and the eggs in another. When the eggs were almost set I added the scallions, then the tomato and chilli mix. However, I guess the tomato mix was too wet or the eggs weren't as set as I thought, but the whole dish turned almost soupy.

Served it anyway (only to myself) over flatbread and was delghted with the taste. I'll revisit for sure.

20210227_131227.thumb.jpg.0855869348486be931f0df695742be80.jpg

• Like 5

@Kim Shook, I like the idea of the blueberries in that drop scone recipe.  I already have batter started for pancakes this morning or I would have made these.

2055901218_ToastFebruary27th20211.thumb.jpg.0fdf9e16480492e0e4c70d1bde10c93e.jpg

Yesterday all Moe wanted for breakfast was toast.

1159920268_PuffPastryCreamCheeseDanishFebruary27th2021.thumb.jpg.dd8f7fc853dd536829af2a1a45e3508b.jpg

Much earlier he had a cream cheese danish with a cappuccino.

I still had leftover puff pastry in the freezer from last week when I made the eggplant tomato tarts.

Top with a cream cheese filling and a few red currants from the freezer.  Finished with a brown butter glaze. 

• Like 3
  • Delicious 3