Jump to content
  • Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Recommended Posts

20 minutes ago, gfweb said:

Description, please?

I'll guess carrots with thyme and oil/vinegar....and  cabbage with dill and caraway?

Like @weinoo I add more mustard and am generous with the parsley. https://www.davidlebovitz.com/carottes-rapee/

The other I think is his celeriac which he has got us scouring our under-supplied produce sections for.  https://www.davidlebovitz.com/celery-root-remoulade-celeri-rem/

 

Sure Mitch is more than capable of answering for himself but I had the links up anyway as I am craving raw salads that keep for a few days.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Khobeza (mallow) and feta "patties" with bread crumb coating, pan fried until crisp. Flavored with onion, garlic, lemon zest and juice, zaatar.

Beetroot and citrus in a boldly flavored vinaigrette with mint flavored ricotta, toasted pistachios.

Tomatoes and sirene with zaatar.

Crisp warm bread.

 

PXL_20201214_200650792.thumb.jpg.607c15c67e417bde01ad5e095326dd46.jpgPXL_20201214_200202995.thumb.jpg.4b55e09e45f19c37037ba24c2a5ab976.jpgPXL_20201214_201042357.thumb.jpg.d134a4b5f796d188d25cb4ab93a6d182.jpg

Edited by shain (log)
  • Like 14
  • Delicious 3

~ Shai N.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, shain said:

Khobeza (mellow) and feta "patties" with bread crumb coating, pan fried until crisp. Flavored with onion, garlic, lemon zest and juice, zaatar.

Beetroot and citrus in a boldly flavored vinaigrette with mint flavored ricotta, toasted pistachios.

Tomatoes and sirene with zaatar.

Crisp warm bread.

 

PXL_20201214_200650792.thumb.jpg.607c15c67e417bde01ad5e095326dd46.jpgPXL_20201214_200202995.thumb.jpg.4b55e09e45f19c37037ba24c2a5ab976.jpg

Is that a green mallow like a zucchini? I don't stuff enough. Must remedy. I also tend to associate dill with beets but mint sound really nice.

 

Edit to note I looked it up and it is the green mallow lustily thriving in my front open areas after the rains! Always willing to try a new use for it. Where I got squash-like from I have no clue. My mind leapt to squash - something to stuff...

Edited by heidih (log)
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, heidih said:

Is that a green mallow like a zucchini? I don't stuff enough. Must remedy. I also tend to associate dill with beets but mint sound really nice.

 

Edit to note I looked it up and it is the green mallow lustily thriving in my front open areas after the rains! Always willing to try a new use for it. Where I got squash-like from I have no clue. My mind leapt to squash - something to stuff...

 

Yep, that's the one you find growing wild. Beets works well with most herbs I can think of, but the application if mint in this salad is quite gentle.

Edited by shain (log)

~ Shai N.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Last meal from the holidays.

I like "dry January". What a marvellous idea. I shall start with dry Malbec.

vgODumA.jpg

 

NGqOQPp.jpg

 

vCS2qKj.jpg

 

Steamed skate wings Teochew-style (salted plums in brine, mustard greens, tomatoes etc)

83Ruvv6.jpg

 

tCew7NQ.jpg

  • Like 10
  • Delicious 1
  • Haha 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, shain said:

Khobeza (mallow) and feta "patties" with bread crumb coating, pan fried until crisp. Flavored with onion, garlic, lemon zest and juice, zaatar.

Beetroot and citrus in a boldly flavored vinaigrette with mint flavored ricotta, toasted pistachios.

Tomatoes and sirene with zaatar.

Crisp warm bread.

 

PXL_20201214_200650792.thumb.jpg.607c15c67e417bde01ad5e095326dd46.jpgPXL_20201214_200202995.thumb.jpg.4b55e09e45f19c37037ba24c2a5ab976.jpgPXL_20201214_201042357.thumb.jpg.d134a4b5f796d188d25cb4ab93a6d182.jpg

Everything above looks delicious.  Great stuff, @shain

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

@gfweb – not a problem about the fish!  As a matter of fact, I’d still love to have your recipe for the batter.  I’ve got two good-sized haddock fillets left after dinner last night and I think fish and chips sounds perfect for them – they are frozen, so no rush!

 

@Duvel – your stew looks so dark and luscious.  I would love to come in to that meal this evening.  I’ve never made potato Knödel.  I used to love them at a German restaurant we’ve been going to for over 30 years.  I’m looking forward to going back when it is safe.  That list of places is getting longer and longer.  By the way, your cracklings shame me😉!

 

@Orbit – what a beautiful, evenly browned quiche!  And it hasn’t “sunk” – mine always sink.  I’ve been swearing that I’m going to try the Thomas Keller one since Bouchon came out - 16 years ago.  LOL

 

@liuzhou – I really like the “loose” look of your ragu.  Mine always ends up so “homogenized”, if that makes any sense.  I like it, but sometimes I’d like it to be more like yours – with the separate ingredients still intact. 

 

@alwaysdrawing – that hummus and the marinade look fantastic.  Just put a hold on Zahav at my library. 

 

@Dejah – that turkey meat looks gorgeous – perfectly cooked and juicy.  How was it cooked? 

 

On Thursday I did some stir fried noodles with various vegetables:

63176245371__9206C682-4D19-4959-AA94-0B72BFAAD7FE.jpg.847a286165b0649d467f0bf3e6899acb.jpg

Onions, broccoli, snow peas, and water chestnuts.

 

Served with honey roasted carrots and chili-glazed roasted shrimp:

IMG_4696.jpg.a2440c87427b7ce42eab22f740d5c00a.jpg

The carrots were from Mr. Kim’s garden and I over-cooked them a bit.  But they tasted good (almost edible from my standpoint😁).  I used the sweet chili sauce on the shrimp – they were tasty enough for Mr. Kim and not too spicy for me. 

 

Friday was a friend’s recipe for lentil soup.  It is cooked, then pureed.  Before blending:

63183903772__8519458C-C63D-4C25-BC66-E2E2C206D231.thumb.jpg.9bd1ebd68ecfc31e5312497eca312d46.jpg

 

After blending:

IMG_4709.thumb.jpg.f5af80badf5149c60fb340879479e7b6.jpg

It took twice as long to cook as her recipe suggested and I think it was still slightly undercooked – there were little hard bits of what I’m sure were lentils.  The flavor, however, was beautiful.  Funny how it looks so much like @weinoo’s chana masala.

 

The accoutrement:

IMG_4705.thumb.jpg.5acf638a3d047e9d33b743067dfcde99.jpg

Paprika oil, cayenne, mint, and lemon.  I served some cheese and a sourdough miche to go with it:

IMG_4706.jpg.2044417aac10590f5259635569b98790.jpg

 

IMG_4707.jpg.2cddfcdb43b99d37ea88f03fc6c7182f.jpg

 

And the last of that beautiful rye bread:

IMG_4710.jpg.1ff58c2bb3962c074a97db85ef6acd39.jpg

This was so perfect with the soup.  My friend suggested either sourdough or rye.  They were both good with it, but the rye was by far the best.

 

Last night was a recipe that @liamsaunt made last month and kindly responded to my request for some direction.  It was an Ina Garten recipe for baked haddock.  Rubbed with oil and S&P and baked, then topped with a cracker/panko crumb mixture and surrounded with some white wine and lemon juice and baked a little more.  It is supposed to be done in individual dishes, but I don’t have any, so I used my large sauté pan:

IMG_4720.jpg.e5052de08199218e4163e777d4f55780.jpg

 

Served with boiled potatoes:

IMG_4721.jpg.2b754fcac7ca598cf2e1858bfb669854.jpg

 

IMG_4722.jpg.a3465f3715b0d4b021dbb1a7bd7de8f4.jpg

Thank you, @liamsaunt!

 

Also, a salad with a lemon vinaigrette and sourdough miche:

IMG_4719.thumb.jpg.5a83559a4a86cbde4572bd2b9ebca706.jpg

 

IMG_4718.jpg.4185a322bf03d5eabd5bff195e73c8f8.jpg

  • Like 15
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

Usually in January and into February I bring back some of my favorite Asian dishes, starting with this BBQ Pork Lo Mein.  I love making it at home so I can be creative, mixing up the ingredients but always keeping the same noodles and sauce. I'm not constrained by a menu, don't wait for delivery, and the leftovers are delicious cold.  For breakfast!

Chinese BBQ Pork Lo Mein.JPG

 

12 oz. fresh Chinese egg noodles

3 tbsp. soy sauce

1 1/2 tbsp. oyster sauce

1/2 tbsp. Chinese rice wine or dry sherry

1 1/2 tsp. honey

1 tbsp. vegetable oil

1 tbsp. sesame oil

3 cloves garlic, minced

1 tbsp. grated ginger

3 green onions, cut in 1" lengths

6 shiitake mushrooms, stem cut off, sliced

8 oz. Chinese BBQ pork, cut in strips

1 1/2 cups fresh bean sprouts

 

Bring a pot of salted water to the boil. Add the noodles and cook for 2-3 minutes. Drain the noodles and set aside.

 

In a small bowl, combine the soy sauce, oyster sauce, Chinese rice wine and honey.

 

Heat a wok or large frying pan over medium-high heat and add the vegetable oil and sesame oil. Add the garlic and ginger and quickly stir-fry for 30 seconds. Add the green onions and mushrooms and stir-fry for another 1 minute. Add the Chinese BBQ pork and the noodles and stir-fry another 1 minute. Add the sauce and the bean sprouts and toss so to coat the noodles. Serve hot.

  • Like 9
  • Delicious 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

@Kim Shook: re-turkey drumsticks: I just did what the instructions said on the package: roast @375F until internal temp reaches 170. But I pulled them @160 and let rest 10 minutes. I had some stuffing under the drumsticks. They were very good and I am glad I picked some packages up and tucked into the freezer. Gave 2 packs to my son as his 6 and 8 year old love "dinosaur legs"!
I love that chana masala. I need to make some roti jala - memories of our first breakfast after landing in Malaysia!

  • Like 1

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, weinoo said:

I'm a fan of salting cabbage prior to making cole slaw. And of course Japanese quick pickles practically equals salting them.

Me too. And right now my absolute favorite quick pickle is this one from Woks of Life:

https://thewoksoflife.com/asian-pickled-cabbage/

It's very basic, which means, at least for me, that it is multipurpose: works well with most Asian dishes and also with Mexican since it adds nothing but salt, water, vinegar, garlic and chile pepper to cabbage and carrots. The first step is to massage with salt. I like to add 1 small chile de arbol to the final jar, at the top, because my current batch of chiles is very hot. After 24 hours I remove it, since the mixture will increase in heat by the day if left in. One whole big cabbage seems the right amount, and along with the sliced carrots, perfectly fits one quart canning jar. Ready to eat in a day. Doesn't last long in our house. 

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, weinoo said:

I wish we could, too. 

Where in NM are you?

 

The eastern part of the state, rural in the middle of nowhere....

Link to post
Share on other sites

Three dinners. 

 

 Meatloaf, buttered potatoes, green beans. 
 

4DEAFE98-CF9A-4D3A-AF11-7D488FE1A8AD.jpeg.7a6a5d23be1f20cabf56054b18f75852.jpeg

 


 

Food delivery of halloumi cheese and chicken livers. 
 

14037F41-2EE1-4705-9C10-109D97BAF213.jpeg.a36ef6c51d5e157c88b2e3ffec443eee.jpeg

 


Chilly, drizzly and gray days call for gumbo. 
 

2E404A48-302E-41AE-8F1F-1793628760F6.jpeg.f5394228f2abb0242678cc7a6b750617.jpeg

  • Like 17
  • Delicious 1

Dear Food: I hate myself for loving you.

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, patti said:

 

Food delivery of halloumi cheese and chicken livers. 
 

14037F41-2EE1-4705-9C10-109D97BAF213.jpeg.a36ef6c51d5e157c88b2e3ffec443eee.jpeg

 

Well there is a Pandemic phrase of delight. I am in

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Tonight:

 

Duck01112021.png

 

Dinner01112021.png

 

 

Duck a l'orange, from Acid Trip.  Attributed to Bertrand Grebaut, Paris.

 

The recipe specifies duck breasts; however the photograph of the finished dish clearly depicts a leg.  People really ought to test their recipes.

 

My only complaint is I wish the sauce had been somewhat sweeter.  The recipe does not specify what orange variety, and I used Seville oranges for mine.  More honey might have helped.  Not a difficult procedure other than the orange peels.  Plus I got to use my big Falk frypan.

 

  • Like 13
  • Delicious 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Katie Meadow said:

Me too. And right now my absolute favorite quick pickle is this one from Woks of Life:

https://thewoksoflife.com/asian-pickled-cabbage/

It's very basic, which means, at least for me, that it is multipurpose: works well with most Asian dishes and also with Mexican since it adds nothing but salt, water, vinegar, garlic and chile pepper to cabbage and carrots. The first step is to massage with salt. I like to add 1 small chile de arbol to the final jar, at the top, because my current batch of chiles is very hot. After 24 hours I remove it, since the mixture will increase in heat by the day if left in. One whole big cabbage seems the right amount, and along with the sliced carrots, perfectly fits one quart canning jar. Ready to eat in a day. Doesn't last long in our house. 

One of our favorite, long-lost Chinese restaurants, had a great version of this, and it was always on the table, as a freebie when you sat down. Sorta like the cole slaw and pickles used to always be on the table at a Jewish deli in NYC.

  • Like 2

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Recently Browsing   1 member

×
×
  • Create New...