Jump to content
  • Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2021


liuzhou
 Share

Recommended Posts

Rainy day and no much planned so decided to give this a try- upright baked rigatoni. Rigatoni is cooked just shy of of al dente, then stuffed with a ricotta,spinach and pesto mixture via piping bag. Covered in tomato sauce and then cheese. Additional sauce served on the side. It was fun to play with but in the end it was baked rigatoni.

 

R1.jpg

R2.jpg

R3.jpg

R4.jpg

  • Like 14
  • Delicious 9
Link to comment
Share on other sites

@Katie Meadow's faux spinach souffle.  I tested at 29 minutes but it was somewhat overdone.  Good, and satisfying nonetheless.  Though to be a proper substitute for Stouffer's it would need rather a good bit more sodium.  For the recipe I went with mostly milk but I think it would be improved by a higher proportion of cream.

 

Served with Philips-grilled Australian lamb,

 

  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

@Katie Meadow's faux spinach souffle.  I tested at 29 minutes but it was somewhat overdone.  Good, and satisfying nonetheless.  Though to be a proper substitute for Stouffer's it would need rather a good bit more sodium.  For the recipe I went with mostly milk but I think it would be improved by a higher proportion of cream.

 

Served with Philips-grilled Australian lamb,

 

I agree that a bit less time in the oven would have been better. And I also agree that if you add twice as much salt it's closer to the original. But these days I am finding most commercial products and most restaurant food way too salty. I'm desperate for take-out that isn't over salted but I keep being disappointed when we try new places. So, it's back home on the range.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hamburger and such for supper: Hubby likes cooked onions; I wanted raw onions and lots of greenery.

His with cooked onions, carrots, roasted cauliflower and hash tater patties

                                                                    1481820828_BurgerOnions3509.jpg.8363188d77b3242298e0910d28986c70.jpg
  Hers with raw onions, green beans, tomato, cauliuflower, tater pattie, and greens!
                                                                    363143367_BurgerMicrogreens3513.jpg.452e0d974f0273da618e59ed2ab8a2d9.jpg

                                                          

  • Like 12
  • Delicious 1

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Eating down this bag of mixed microgreens in case my friend brings another bag this week!

 

                                                                      1310067907_MicroGreensw3480.jpg.0d91d2941d1783a2be63ecc26a97d0e5.jpg

 

                                                     

  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Biang Biang Noodles!   I got this from Xi'an Famous Foods off of Goldbelly.   I read so much about them and these noodles.   It is ingenious how they shipped it.   They included the raw noodle dough and then instructions (good You Tube clip) on how to pull the noodles.  

 

I wasn't sure....but my god, I see what the fuss was.  I was addicted to these noodles and even did my own thing with them making a Lobster Chongking style over the noodles.   This was the original Mt Qui Pork stew from Xi'an Famous Foods.   Doesn't look like much, but the texture of these noodles and the sauce, it is a game changer!

 

 

Biang Biang Noodles.jpg

  • Like 18
  • Delicious 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Owtahear said:

Spicy Beef Noodle Soup!  Chengdu Style.   So good....homemade broth, used beef shank which was perfect.

 

I could go for your soup this minute as breakfast. Beef shank does make a nice gelatinous broth. I feel comforted just looking at the pic.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On ‎3‎/‎12‎/‎2021 at 1:47 PM, Duvel said:

Lazy dinners continue ...

 

Banh Mi (paté & 5 spice beef), enjoyed with “Jumanji” (1995 version).

 

C551D15A-D480-467D-931C-ED893DB37FFE.thumb.jpeg.99ac55bd85557efe2075658e4950ed7c.jpeg
 

2DB30CD6-3104-40B9-8F1E-DC143A7A47D4.thumb.jpeg.c9a3e1d36eee2d80e0dfda942767a916.jpeg

Chili Crisp is good on everything!!!!

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Owtahear said:

Biang Biang Noodles!   I got this from Xi'an Famous Foods off of Goldbelly.   I read so much about them and these noodles.   It is ingenious how they shipped it.   They included the raw noodle dough and then instructions (good You Tube clip) on how to pull the noodles.  

 

I wasn't sure....but my god, I see what the fuss was.  I was addicted to these noodles and even did my own thing with them making a Lobster Chongking style over the noodles.   This was the original Mt Qui Pork stew from Xi'an Famous Foods.   Doesn't look like much, but the texture of these noodles and the sauce, it is a game changer!

 

 

Biang Biang Noodles.jpg

Pre-pandemic, I used to get these all the time at their location near me...

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, rotuts said:

@MaryIsobel 

 

""""  but in the end it was baked rigatoni. """"

 

I very much doubt that.

 

It is absolutely gorgeous baked rigatoni.

 

I jumped the gun a bit on St. Pat's, as I'll be on the road the rest of the week. 

 

20210314_165744.thumb.jpg.abfe514917d20079e2ee19c213f4e3e4.jpg

 

Waited too long to SV, so I plunked this in a dish in the oven @300F with the potatoes and carrots about 12:30 p.m. Sunday; added the cabbage about 4, and pulled it about 5 and let it rest 30 minutes. Very good. This was a point cut from Kroger.

 

Lots left for sandwiches and hash.

 

  • Like 10
  • Delicious 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Finally got to make my King Salmon from my Nash-a--ville ( Grand daughter calls it that )  trip

 

51039414651_42d0c7769a_b.jpg

 

The  sauce was egg yolk sous  vide 149 for 45 mins

 

51038722248_5f27a4e902_z.jpg

  • Like 15
  • Delicious 1

Its good to have Morels

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Owtahear said:

I played around with Duck Confit a L'Orange

That looks delicious.  I love an orange sauce with duck.

 

Last night's dinner.
1743747213_PrawnandAvocadoSaladMarch14th20214.thumb.jpg.1ab5ed916506e808b0785aee2fbd9ab0.jpg
Prawn and Avocado Salad.
1112932480_PrawnandAvocadoSaladMarch14th2021.thumb.jpg.faf79ce73312d1190b307bb9ba23c030.jpg
 
I haven't made it in a while.
Getting seafood'd out. I think I need meat for the next couple of days.
  • Like 14
  • Delicious 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Ann_T said:

That looks delicious.  I love an orange sauce with duck.

 

Last night's dinner.
1743747213_PrawnandAvocadoSaladMarch14th20214.thumb.jpg.1ab5ed916506e808b0785aee2fbd9ab0.jpg
Prawn and Avocado Salad.
1112932480_PrawnandAvocadoSaladMarch14th2021.thumb.jpg.faf79ce73312d1190b307bb9ba23c030.jpg
 
I haven't made it in a while.
Getting seafood'd out. I think I need meat for the next couple of days.

I know you're not a huge salad fan, but did you like this?  Looks SO good to me.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Shelby said:

I know you're not a huge salad fan, but did you like this?  Looks SO good to me.

@Shelby, yes, although NOT a big fan of salad or fish, I do love spot prawns.  And avocado.

 

This is a "salad" I've been making for years. Makes  a nice first course for a dinner party. 

 

 

 

Edited by Ann_T (log)
  • Like 1
  • Delicious 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Shrimp and Pesto Pasta. Costco Pesto is pretty tasty, which makes for a quick and easy meal. 
 

566F9F58-69FB-4106-A79D-AF8A2B55D92D.jpeg.0a1fa93ce4959c578c9cedbca6a3310c.jpeg

 

1B62FF45-FEEF-47D7-886F-1F04F91F492B.jpeg.b970c55d35d7f92e9ffcd25a56170d27.jpeg

  • Like 15
  • Delicious 1

Dear Food: I hate myself for loving you.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

In progress, using fresh littlenecks and a can of Spanish cockles.  Started out similar to making paella, and then added clam juice and stock (a cup at a time) made from shrimp shells, stirring occasionally.

 

77538C8A-F86A-4B34-8E5F-69CDE9161270.thumb.jpeg.d76618f00a6d42d0015d8cca40f04812.jpeg
 

Clam soupy rice with chorizo, shallots, garlic, tomato, peppers, espelette, saffron, stock.

 

IMG_3753.thumb.jpeg.1de0ad81e753b52d5d2ecbcd7f50bda3.jpeg

 

I don't use my broiler much - sucker gets hot!  These wings could've probably been moved down a shelf, but I rescued them in time.

Edited by weinoo (log)
  • Like 14
  • Delicious 4

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...