• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2021

liuzhou

6 hours ago, weinoo said:

image.png.2e724dc93bc71882c6b7a413cd551c14.png

Every time I see this, I get a little jealous!

image.png.3135e478892dc770dd1fe94ab4b978b5.png

Just under the light switch, is that the secret ingredient?

Charlies cat is 21 years old and that is one of his medicines. I probably should have moved it but it has sat there long enough to have become almost invisible to me.

Edited by Norm Matthews (log)
  • Like 4
  • Haha 4

Pulled duck leg (thanks SV), together with all the fixings I could find in the fridge to make fajitas. Kind of cumin-scented romesco sauce, sour cream, chipotle tabasco ...

8A0B6F4C-2ADF-46BE-A6A8-C78E91AEE09A.thumb.jpeg.f81cc38c84d6d2031bccbfb518462354.jpeg

Served with duck fat-roasted potatoes 🥳

• Like 14

1 hour ago, Norm Matthews said:

Charlies cat is 21 years old and that is one of his medicines. I probably should have moved it but it has sat there long enough to have become almost invisible to me.

Wow!

• Like 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

@ShelbyOh, that I could limit myself to four fries!

I reread your fabulous first eGullet food blog yesterday. I knew I’d read it before, but I didn’t think I was still posting here in 2011. My comments were evidence that I was. It’s still a great read. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Dear Food: I hate myself for loving you.

On 12/31/2020 at 9:37 PM, KennethT said:

Wishing everyone a happy New Year and end to 2020!!!

Duck confit and potatoes, salad with sherry vinegar and a nice Burgundy

20201231_200019.thumb.jpg.a51a6fdc3bddd23317383db1aced3581.jpg

20201231_194858_HDR.thumb.jpg.6fcac0410f25c46900157fb99ec568f6.jpg

"Nice" Burgundy? Lol! That's a fantastic Burgundy from a great vintage. Well done you!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Violin_guy said:

"Nice" Burgundy? Lol! That's a fantastic Burgundy from a great vintage. Well done you!

Thanks. That producer is among our favorites in Burgundy (of which there are quite a few!)

Sent up a joyous "Woohoo" when I found a local source for fresh abalone steaks.    I realized they would not be the ab of my Central California childhood or classic mid century San Francisco restaurant ab, but we had to try it.

4 small seemingly whole (altho represented as steaks)n abs.    Not pretenderized, so I got out a chopping block and my scallopini flatener.    Push and shove movement rather than pounding.   Tough little buggers.   Husband came in and insisted on taking over.   I didn't argue.  

Dipped in egg and cracker crumbs, sauted in butter.    LEMON.    Not your father's ab, but tender as love and approaching delicious.   Zucchini braised in buttered veal broth.

1575946319_ScreenShot2021-03-10at5_50_35PM.thumb.png.96c5825dacb1dbfb8aa7aa9f4ba6a649.png

• Like 17
  • Delicious 2

eGullet member #80.

I made Chateaubriand for two for dinner tonight.
Centre cut Beef Tenderloin.
76562780_ChateaubriandMarch10th20211.thumb.jpg.972aaa184f0e076891e8a90fe9882d78.jpg

This is an old favourite.
Only took an hour from the time I walked in the house after work until we were eating.
Made a red wine sauce rather than a Bearnaise sauce.

1451890933_ChateaubriandMarch10th20212.thumb.jpg.504e80ffeda55fc070450f88f5e5d3c9.jpg
Moe's plate is the one with the dreaded carrots.
  • Like 16
  • Delicious 4

Smash burgers.  Maybe not Kenji smash burgers, certainly not Kenji ultra smash burgers.  My burger tonight was smashed less aggressively, and seared at a balmy 250C.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

The new Ibushi Gin Donabe got a tryout last night.

IMG_3723.jpeg.3ac7ca8807f5bb389b7b0e5a9c58b8e6.jpeg

Now this isn't the $350 Ibushi gin; it was more like $50. Some seafood arrived yesterday, so I started with that...

IMG_3725.jpeg.ac4b72137a8f016893b547a8baec71eb.jpeg

Scallops and prawns, brined for an hour or so, and then smoke cooked for as long as the instructions sorta say.

Tasty, but not quite perfect at this point. More practice necessary. It's also why I didn't do the full pound of prawns and half pound of scallops; the rest got poached in a shellfish stock - they were delicious.

Re: the instructions: "they" say to line the bottom of the donabe with foil and put the chips on top of that, as it makes for easier cleanup.  Well, it also makes for not as good smoke, in my opinion. I think the chips should go on the bottom of the donabe, in order to be in better contact with heat, and then be topped with foil, to catch any drips from the product being smoked. Or no foil at all. So I'll try that next time.

And scallops/shrimp are not necessarily the best item to smoke, if you like these things barely cooked. If they're barely cooked, they'll get practically no smoke flavor and I might as well use a smoking gun.  If they (the prawns and scallops) get nice and smoky, they're probably overcooked. I think a pork tenderloin, or something along those lines, will make for a better experiment. And since I can probably get some great steelhead filets and whole trout, that'll be on the menu too.

• Like 15

Tasty Travails - My Blog

Made a dry rub out of salt, sugar, Chile, cumin, garlic and ginger and rubbed it into a rack of beef ribs.  Marinated for 24 hours.  Then into the water bath for 24 hours at 155F.  Topped with some hoisin and broiled to finish.  Hit the spot.

thumbnail_IMG_0640.jpg.658280c6d0c2d8e98d18e8d0aa003d7d.jpg

• Like 14
  • Delicious 1

31 minutes ago, rotuts said:

in an apt.   what happens to your smoke alarms when you use this ?

I haven't set them off in a long while.  I have the kitchen window open and there's decent cross ventilation, and the hood sucks up most of the smoke and filters it through charcoal. I also have two nice air purifiers (with HEPA) in different locations (and you should see the filters on those when they get cleaned).

• Like 3

Tasty Travails - My Blog

1 hour ago, weinoo said:

The new Ibushi Gin Donabe got a tryout last night.

IMG_3723.jpeg.3ac7ca8807f5bb389b7b0e5a9c58b8e6.jpeg

Now this isn't the $350 Ibushi gin; it was more like $50. Some seafood arrived yesterday, so I started with that...

IMG_3725.jpeg.ac4b72137a8f016893b547a8baec71eb.jpeg

Scallops and prawns, brined for an hour or so, and then smoke cooked for as long as the instructions sorta say.

Tasty, but not quite perfect at this point. More practice necessary. It's also why I didn't do the full pound of prawns and half pound of scallops; the rest got poached in a shellfish stock - they were delicious.

Re: the instructions: "they" say to line the bottom of the donabe with foil and put the chips on top of that, as it makes for easier cleanup.  Well, it also makes for not as good smoke, in my opinion. I think the chips should go on the bottom of the donabe, in order to be in better contact with heat, and then be topped with foil, to catch any drips from the product being smoked. Or no foil at all. So I'll try that next time.

And scallops/shrimp are not necessarily the best item to smoke, if you like these things barely cooked. If they're barely cooked, they'll get practically no smoke flavor and I might as well use a smoking gun.  If they (the prawns and scallops) get nice and smoky, they're probably overcooked. I think a pork tenderloin, or something along those lines, will make for a better experiment. And since I can probably get some great steelhead filets and whole trout, that'll be on the menu too.

When I used to use my Cameron's stovetop smoker (I haven't used it in a while), I lined the bottom with foil, but the wood chips on top of that, then another piece of foil, then the drip tray they use (which presses the foils into a tight sandwich around the chips) and I get a good amount of smoke and it definitely makes clean up easier.  BUT, the Cameron is a closed device which traps the smoke - I don't know how smoky it would get if the cover was left off - plus, using the drip tray to weight down the chips only lets the smoke past the edges/corners, which works fine in an enclosed box, but wouldn't work in your setup.

Maybe you can get a piece of screen with a metal or stone weight on top to press the wood chips into the bottom of the donabe?

• Like 1

@Shelby – I would 100% eat a Burger Bomb.  Sounds like a beef hand pie or kolache to me.  And if you left off the jalapenos and siracha I’d eat that pizza, too. 

@Ann_T – beautiful fish and chips.  Another reason I wish I lived in Britain – I’d have a local Chippy.  Sigh.

@Captain – great looking fried rice.

@kayb – one of my favorite meals.  Whenever @Ann_T makes the real thing, I go to Costco and get a rotisserie chicken for that meal you made and then hot chicken sandwiches the next day😁. 

@patti – I think smoked sausage fried rice sounds great!

One dinner last week was pulled together from the bread box and the deli drawer:

IMG_5221.jpg.f53f9f0d79c978b89f80e54e44bda802.jpg

And because I had a “test” on Monday this was basically B, L, & D on Sunday:

IMG_5222.jpg.cd2f8c66e3c2a1ac5d5b0c8448f89c11.jpg

😉

Last night:

IMG_5238.jpg.1669a3a1d342f24ccc16143fbf787e10.jpg

Fixed up Kraft mac n cheese, IP collards, and pan fried canned corned beef.  I know that this is just gross to some people, but I grew up on it – canned corned beef was a common breakfast meat in our house.  And I don’t think it is any worse than Spam.  Also, a salad with blackberry/chèvre vinaigrette and whomp cornmeal rolls:

IMG_5234.jpg.82613f4b077595af3938c87a157494d0.jpg

IMG_5235.thumb.jpg.0c5b4acb9673c108e48a8bc56e9ff2f9.jpg

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 2

6 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

@Shelby – I would 100% eat a Burger Bomb.  Sounds like a beef hand pie or kolache to me.  And if you left off the jalapenos and siracha I’d eat that pizza, too. 

@Ann_T – beautiful fish and chips.  Another reason I wish I lived in Britain – I’d have a local Chippy.  Sigh.

@kayb – one of my favorite meals.  Whenever @Ann_T makes the real thing, I go to Costco and get a rotisserie chicken for that meal you made and then hot chicken sandwiches the next day😁. 

One dinner last week was pulled together from the bread box and the deli drawer:

IMG_5221.jpg.f53f9f0d79c978b89f80e54e44bda802.jpg

IMG_5222.jpg.cd2f8c66e3c2a1ac5d5b0c8448f89c11.jpg

😉

Last night:

IMG_5238.jpg.1669a3a1d342f24ccc16143fbf787e10.jpg

Fixed up Kraft mac n cheese, IP collards, and pan fried canned corned beef.  I know that this is just gross to some people, but I grew up on it – canned corned beef was a common breakfast meat in our house.  And I don’t think it is any worse than Spam.  Also, a salad with blackberry/chèvre vinaigrette and whomp cornmeal rolls:

IMG_5234.jpg.82613f4b077595af3938c87a157494d0.jpg

IMG_5235.thumb.jpg.0c5b4acb9673c108e48a8bc56e9ff2f9.jpg

You bring your canned corn beef and I'll bring non-spicy Banh Mi pizza and we'll move in together 😇

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

24 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

😉

Last night:

Been looking at the cans of corned beef every time I went shopping. Now I may have to pick up a can!

• Like 1

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Shrimp seemed to be making a frequent appearance on here lately.

Spicy Shrimp ( and a few scallops) and Creamy Cheesy Grits: Hubby is not used to eating savoury grits, but ate it! He prefers his for breakfast with milk and brown sugar.

2091840715_SpicyShrimpCreamyCheeseGrits3464.jpg.56c083490dee8732cc6b62155d3412a2.jpg

Crunchy Oven-baked drumsticks - done in the air-fryer. Used the Kewpie Deep Roasted Sesame dressing as a dip It was lovely. Sides: turnip fries and mixed veg.

1786383418_AirFryerchicken3473.jpg.8b55c9055c83ce9ec2c7fb3b9c8d52cc.jpg

• Like 12
  • Delicious 3

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com