Jump to content
  • Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2021


liuzhou
 Share

Recommended Posts

Winter has arrived after a splendid spell of fall weather! Got snow on Wed, Nov. 10 and more expected all week.

 

Some meals the last few days:

 

Chicken, Beansprouts with fresh Ho Fun                 228071799_ChickenChowHoFun5650.jpg.53c79b950073f8e194d0f8442011eb99.jpg

 

 

Breaded Pork Chops in Mushroom Gravy. Eaten with baked sweet taters, butternut squash, and stir-fried sugar snap peas.

 

                                                                                  1773431272_BreadedPorkChopsinMush.gravy5714.jpg.a6de59e0cd323ee4a84802ef5ead2ebd.jpg

                                                                                 206299231_BreadedPorkChopsVeg5717.jpg.1e8d6ac04560cdf10fcef9a864ce2c00.jpg

 

I use an app from Superstore, and have found amazing deals when I check around 7 am! Last week, it was 7 packages of fresh boneless duck breasts with 2 days left before "Best By Date. This last couple of months were my first experiences cooking with fresh duck. Where have I been! The first time was with Honey Ginger Soy glaze. This time, it was Blackberry and Chipotle sauce.  Now we will have to work on cooking them just a little less;-) Not sure we appreciated the surprise of the hard seeds in blackberries!
 

                                                                                 830625439_DuckBreastBlackberryChipotleSauce5690.jpg.7f8dec24fa0ead14d507003bb9b81c11.jpg

 

Worked outside with Xmas lights and winter arrangements, so a quick meal was in order: Shake'n'Bake Chicken Legs with BBQ Glaze. Can't seem to find this S'n'B in any stores this past year! Will have to do a Copy Cat version. The extra thin fries are by Cavendish, which I bought by mistake. They were good!

                                                                                 2089097745_SBChickenChips5676.jpg.84f4d67a83bee08c3e1c9a2be86ee3cb.jpg
            

 

Another of my favourite shopping experiences is at Safeway. I usually check the meat cooler early in the morning, and quite often, I find packages of lamb chops with reductions of $3 - $4 for a package of 3 - 4 chops. I stockpiled, and last night, we enjoyed some grilled on cast iron pan on the stove. Just replaced my old JennAir cooktop with a KitchenAid Glass-top. Not as happy with the glass top but the Jenn-Air bare coils is no longer available, it seems:-( The downdraft worked fine, but still nervous with the glass top.

                                                                                 59026123_Lambchopsstovetop5738.jpg.ad3476c21f501b09f55b7841cd0fec8d.jpg

 

We've been enjoying the Cavendish brand fries. These were garlic and rosemary seasoned.

 

                                                                                 704602127_LambChips5741.jpg.a73f2ad1d53bb60db809550e15715b94.jpg

 

 

  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 4

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Greek-inspired meal. This beetroot dish is common in Greece but almost no tourist orders it. Boiled beetroots, a generous amount of olive oil and raw garlic. Too healthful and too lowly for the tourists.

l9aC3FR.jpg

 

Shoulder of lamb and wheat "berries".

EVljRYz.jpg

 

PR79sqL.jpg

 

Chilean

rRasvsE.jpg

  • Like 13
  • Delicious 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Today a visit to Speyer and its spectacular cathedral …

 

31108B80-8D38-45DB-A921-F494D0A00490.thumb.jpeg.ea9837a711c285a64783e80914371a3d.jpeg

 

Followed by Tapas …

 

33C877C6-17BC-491B-B920-1EAA61FBD423.thumb.jpeg.aa8fffc186aa8afc8678c22ee7354392.jpeg

 

Extra octopus for the little one …

 

B036E959-2041-45F8-90C4-DCD5C76C31A0.thumb.jpeg.99e88af690f16c14d68a3d48cab00421.jpeg

 

Some pleasant wine (disregard the stain) …

 

E312C3DC-512C-4C4D-A558-D304793B637E.thumb.jpeg.090426ac6d2f14cdccbb4456d3be8942.jpeg

 

And a little something for the cook …

 

9B3C2873-3ED2-4ADD-8E25-C30C252103B5.thumb.jpeg.a385c9f9628156b1d55d005342348311.jpeg

 

😊

  • Like 14
  • Delicious 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, Dejah said:

Winter has arrived after a splendid spell of fall weather! Got snow on Wed, Nov. 10 and more expected all week.

 

Some meals the last few days:

 

Chicken, Beansprouts with fresh Ho Fun                 228071799_ChickenChowHoFun5650.jpg.53c79b950073f8e194d0f8442011eb99.jpg

 

 

Breaded Pork Chops in Mushroom Gravy. Eaten with baked sweet taters, butternut squash, and stir-fried sugar snap peas.

 

                                                                                  1773431272_BreadedPorkChopsinMush.gravy5714.jpg.a6de59e0cd323ee4a84802ef5ead2ebd.jpg

                                                                                 206299231_BreadedPorkChopsVeg5717.jpg.1e8d6ac04560cdf10fcef9a864ce2c00.jpg

 

I use an app from Superstore, and have found amazing deals when I check around 7 am! Last week, it was 7 packages of fresh boneless duck breasts with 2 days left before "Best By Date. This last couple of months were my first experiences cooking with fresh duck. Where have I been! The first time was with Honey Ginger Soy glaze. This time, it was Blackberry and Chipotle sauce.  Now we will have to work on cooking them just a little less;-) Not sure we appreciated the surprise of the hard seeds in blackberries!
 

                                                                                 830625439_DuckBreastBlackberryChipotleSauce5690.jpg.7f8dec24fa0ead14d507003bb9b81c11.jpg

 

Worked outside with Xmas lights and winter arrangements, so a quick meal was in order: Shake'n'Bake Chicken Legs with BBQ Glaze. Can't seem to find this S'n'B in any stores this past year! Will have to do a Copy Cat version. The extra thin fries are by Cavendish, which I bought by mistake. They were good!

                                                                                 2089097745_SBChickenChips5676.jpg.84f4d67a83bee08c3e1c9a2be86ee3cb.jpg
            

 

Another of my favourite shopping experiences is at Safeway. I usually check the meat cooler early in the morning, and quite often, I find packages of lamb chops with reductions of $3 - $4 for a package of 3 - 4 chops. I stockpiled, and last night, we enjoyed some grilled on cast iron pan on the stove. Just replaced my old JennAir cooktop with a KitchenAid Glass-top. Not as happy with the glass top but the Jenn-Air bare coils is no longer available, it seems:-( The downdraft worked fine, but still nervous with the glass top.

                                                                                 59026123_Lambchopsstovetop5738.jpg.ad3476c21f501b09f55b7841cd0fec8d.jpg

 

We've been enjoying the Cavendish brand fries. These were garlic and rosemary seasoned.

 

                                                                                 704602127_LambChips5741.jpg.a73f2ad1d53bb60db809550e15715b94.jpg

 

 

Always wish I was at your table. The mixture of different sorts of dishes appeals to me I also enjoy that you - the restaurant cook - embrace things like "Shake & Bake" - reality cooking " Nice shopping skills too :)

Edited by heidih (log)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Dejah said:

 

 

Chicken, Beansprouts with fresh Ho Fun                 228071799_ChickenChowHoFun5650.jpg.53c79b950073f8e194d0f8442011eb99.jpg

 

 

 

Do you blanch or do anything special to the ho fun; or is it simply stir-fried?

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Dejah said:

Winter has arrived after a splendid spell of fall weather! Got snow on Wed, Nov. 10 and more expected all week.

 

Some meals the last few days:

 

Chicken, Beansprouts with fresh Ho Fun                 228071799_ChickenChowHoFun5650.jpg.53c79b950073f8e194d0f8442011eb99.jpg

 

 

Breaded Pork Chops in Mushroom Gravy. Eaten with baked sweet taters, butternut squash, and stir-fried sugar snap peas.

 

                                                                                  1773431272_BreadedPorkChopsinMush.gravy5714.jpg.a6de59e0cd323ee4a84802ef5ead2ebd.jpg

                                                                                 206299231_BreadedPorkChopsVeg5717.jpg.1e8d6ac04560cdf10fcef9a864ce2c00.jpg

 

I use an app from Superstore, and have found amazing deals when I check around 7 am! Last week, it was 7 packages of fresh boneless duck breasts with 2 days left before "Best By Date. This last couple of months were my first experiences cooking with fresh duck. Where have I been! The first time was with Honey Ginger Soy glaze. This time, it was Blackberry and Chipotle sauce.  Now we will have to work on cooking them just a little less;-) Not sure we appreciated the surprise of the hard seeds in blackberries!
 

                                                                                 830625439_DuckBreastBlackberryChipotleSauce5690.jpg.7f8dec24fa0ead14d507003bb9b81c11.jpg

 

Worked outside with Xmas lights and winter arrangements, so a quick meal was in order: Shake'n'Bake Chicken Legs with BBQ Glaze. Can't seem to find this S'n'B in any stores this past year! Will have to do a Copy Cat version. The extra thin fries are by Cavendish, which I bought by mistake. They were good!

                                                                                 2089097745_SBChickenChips5676.jpg.84f4d67a83bee08c3e1c9a2be86ee3cb.jpg
            

 

Another of my favourite shopping experiences is at Safeway. I usually check the meat cooler early in the morning, and quite often, I find packages of lamb chops with reductions of $3 - $4 for a package of 3 - 4 chops. I stockpiled, and last night, we enjoyed some grilled on cast iron pan on the stove. Just replaced my old JennAir cooktop with a KitchenAid Glass-top. Not as happy with the glass top but the Jenn-Air bare coils is no longer available, it seems:-( The downdraft worked fine, but still nervous with the glass top.

                                                                                 59026123_Lambchopsstovetop5738.jpg.ad3476c21f501b09f55b7841cd0fec8d.jpg

 

We've been enjoying the Cavendish brand fries. These were garlic and rosemary seasoned.

 

                                                                                 704602127_LambChips5741.jpg.a73f2ad1d53bb60db809550e15715b94.jpg

 

 

I think that Cavendish frozen fries - all varities - are the best frozen fries one can buy in Canada. They put McCain's to shame!

 

Edited by MaryIsobel (log)
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, KennethT said:

fresh rice noodles don't usually need to be cooked prior to stir frying

do you use a fair amount of oil or non stick, because I find them pretty sticky otherwise?

 

Or maybe they're cooked in more liquid?

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, weinoo said:

do you use a fair amount of oil or non stick, because I find them pretty sticky otherwise?

 

Or maybe they're cooked in more liquid?

fresh rice noodles are notoriously sticky.  For me, I think the key is to only stir fry 1 portion at a time and have your wok be really well seasoned.  My wok's seasoning comes and goes a bit (a few weeks ago, I made a curry in it that had a lot of tamarind, and it stripped 80% of the seasoning by the time it finished cooking!) so I personally wouldn't attempt cooking fresh rice noodles right now - or maybe I'd coat them with a little bit of oil before the wok, and a bit more oil than normal in the wok heated to smoking so they don't stick together so bad until you can get them moving.  And have your stir fry sauce at the ready to pour on top once you get a bit of char on the bottom.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, KennethT said:

fresh rice noodles are notoriously sticky.  For me, I think the key is to only stir fry 1 portion at a time and have your wok be really well seasoned.  My wok's seasoning comes and goes a bit (a few weeks ago, I made a curry in it that had a lot of tamarind, and it stripped 80% of the seasoning by the time it finished cooking!) so I personally wouldn't attempt cooking fresh rice noodles right now - or maybe I'd coat them with a little bit of oil before the wok, and a bit more oil than normal in the wok heated to smoking so they don't stick together so bad until you can get them moving.  And have your stir fry sauce at the ready to pour on top once you get a bit of char on the bottom.

interesting as the fresh ones I get (the broader ones) are a Vietnamese branded company but local. They are lightly oiled sold in that head over heels rolled fashion and you do have to gently pull them apart..

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

We had an interesting pasta dish, with a new (to me) shape last night...

 

IMG_5557.thumb.jpeg.2cf842f7373d80b5e2e7af8c0d5ad947.jpeg

 

It's a shape Faella calls Tofe...https://www.gustiamo.com/tofe-by-faella/

 

Quote

Faella Tofe are ridged, rounded shells - like small rounded penne - ideal with melted cheese and creamy sauces, or rustic sautéed vegetables. 

 

With a creamy (ish) fresh mushroom and tomato sauce, and lots of cheese.

 

They took way longer than the package directions say, but I think all their pastas just say the same thing for cooking times.  These are thick and meaty almost.

 

Steamed artichokes alongside.

Edited by weinoo (log)
  • Like 11
  • Delicious 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, heidih said:

interesting as the fresh ones I get (the broader ones) are a Vietnamese branded company but local. They are lightly oiled sold in that head over heels rolled fashion and you do have to gently pull them apart..

Good input on Ho Fun.
This was the first time I've had REALLY good results with the fresh noodles. I got these in the city. Like all the packages, the noodles are always packed so tightly, in layers. This time, I was patient, opened the packages early in the day and let them warm up to room temp. Then I took the time to take the layers apart, then separated each noodle if sticking to each other. The trick IS to separate ALL the noodles.
I use my well seasoned 16" carbon steel wok, heated up on Ultra-High on the cook top, coated the bottom and sides with cooking oil, heated the oil until barely smoking, then tossed in ALL the noodles. Tongs are good for turning the noodles with a metal spatula.
The noodles didn't stick and I got Wok Hei.
Tossed in the other ingredients, then little sloshes of sweet soy sauce at the end. That's all the liquid I used.
I was very happy with the results this time. I was giving up on using fresh noodles, and had been using the re-hydrated dry noodles. NO COMPARISON!
Now that I've had some success, I can stay with the fresh noodles.
 

  • Like 7

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I envy Ann_T's supplier of halibut. When we do get it in the supermarkets, it's usually very expensive.
We do get a steady supply of baby pickerel. The fisherman from Lake Winnipeg comes to our city 3 times a year, and we pre-order fillets and whole dressed pickerel to make sure we get our supply.
Besides fish'n'chips, I also like to steam fillets or the whole fish.

This week was fillets, steamed with ginger and green onion, soy sauce, then splashed with hot oil just before serving.

 

                                                                1205569743_SteamedPickerelFillets5725.jpg.63d8c96ccead50dfe32e21e9ba8ecce8.jpg

 

Tonight, we had Chinese Style Braised Beef & Daikon in the IP. The sauce was slightly sweet with rock sugar, but savory with soy, oyster sauce, Hoisin, Chu Hou sauce, ginger, tangerine peel, star anise, and bay leaf. I had a small chunk of chuck roast, but I would have preferred beef short ribs or brisket. The gravy was great with rice, and stir-fried green beans was the side.                                              1977948545_BraisedBeefDaikon5743.jpg.9b23dc7b51d5407dc92e4caa048eda0b.jpg

 

 

                                                       1676322950_BraisedBeefDaikon5746.jpg.8db6d31db9b06ef6a1a2b8f95329e836.jpg

 

                                                             



 

  • Like 14
  • Delicious 1

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Lots of pasta here this week. 

I made a wild mushroom chorizo ragu with shallots and leeks. White wine and a young gorgonzola for the cream. Thinking if a first small course with dinner guests I would add something green and maybe topped with fried shallots. I had some arugula but it was rolled in a damp towel---out of site out of mind...I found it this morning. 

New to me brussel sprout method recently. Halved and cut side down on a cast iron stove-top burner. Medium low heat. Caramelization without overcooking. Planning that for Thanksgiving. 

Screen Shot 2021-11-15 at 9.05.55 AM.png

  • Like 14
  • Delicious 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

MILs birthday today, so I prepared a bit more than the usual Monday dinner …

 

SV duck (4x) and goose (2x) legs, red cabbage (plus a tiny bit of Grünkohl, frozen from 2 weeks ago) and potato Knödel (half/half). A sauce made from the defatted bag juices, plum compôte and chinese five spice. Very good, if I may say so.
 

1DEE7195-B063-415B-AA2A-DEC0229B2128.thumb.jpeg.42ee8b5fc2c72c2aafdf1f2665c6d066.jpeg

 

A fruity red to go with … 

 

6B23C7D5-0E66-4C00-95F4-515C77B45527.thumb.jpeg.1a09d949338a05fea96109ce77b3d173.jpeg

 

MIL was happy, as was the rest of the crew. Little one consumed almost one goose leg - must be a growth spurt or something 🙄

  • Like 17
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...