• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2021

liuzhou

Little one requested „pica pica“, basically tapas. I pieced together what freezer & pantry had to offer. My wife was super happy; and the little one told me „Papa, for me next time only the octopus“ 🙄 …

71BC2AF2-F66E-4EDB-8CFE-7E92726B005F.thumb.jpeg.20fa6be8795bb2c9df1252ae32e618d7.jpeg

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

2 hours ago, Duvel said:

Little one requested „pica pica“, basically tapas. I pieced together what freezer & pantry had to offer. My wife was super happy; and the little one told me „Papa, for me next time only the octopus“ 🙄 …

Dude, did he mention the casing?

duvel.jpeg.46ddbf19a1e6385cf01375bb10ef73ec.jpeg

🤣

• Like 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

9 hours ago, weinoo said:

Dude, did he mention the casing?

duvel.jpeg.46ddbf19a1e6385cf01375bb10ef73ec.jpeg

🤣

I am not quite sure if I get this correctly … do you mean that he might be put off by the edible mold ?

If so, I can assure you that while he is not a huge fan of longaniza (because it is too soft for him), he loves* the fuet (a bit more right in the original picture), with casing, mold and everything. He has never eaten it sans casing. As a matter of fact, we usually have both hanging in the kitchen for snacking …

4DFE71B4-ECB9-4498-8EC0-0B7773B08961.thumb.jpeg.1b0baea88160555cc35b189d2bdf65ff.jpeg

*just not as much as a soft boiled octopus arm 

Edited by Duvel (log)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Duvel said:

he loves* the fuet (a bit more right in the original picture), with casing, mold and everything.

Wow - I almost took a picture of that instead! 

Interesting that he deals with the casing so easily (and that's what I was questioning in my post); I actually find it detracts from my enjoyment of the inner product, and I certainly have to remove it for my wife!

Edited by weinoo (log)
  • Like 3

Tasty Travails - My Blog

No shopping this week, clean out the fridge before a trip dinners...

IMG_5012.thumb.jpeg.43e9df714a8bf09ca9c051c716e3e710.jpeg

Crab fried rice. Tomato salad on the side.

IMG_5018.thumb.jpeg.1295d25499ec3c50c9498e87a13f44d5.jpeg

Penne alla deconstructed pesto.  Sautéed cucumbers.

• Like 11
  • Delicious 1

Tasty Travails - My Blog

1 minute ago, weinoo said:

Wow - I almost took a picture of that instead! 

Interesting that he deals with the casing so easily; I actually find it detracts from my enjoyment of the inner product, and I certainly have to remove it for my wife!

I think it depends on your upbringing with that specific product. For some German sausages (especially aged Mettwurst), we remove the (sheep or cattle gut) casing; here for the Catalan varieties the thin pork gut casing doesn’t really matter in terms of texture.
In terms of taste and mouthfeel, I’d consider the edible mold as part of the package (just as a tiiiiny bit of oxidized fat actually rounds off the taste of good iberico ham).

But I fully get that it is a matter of cultural background, exposure and most importantly individual taste …

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, Duvel said:

I think it depends on your upbringing with that specific product. For some German sausages (especially aged Mettwurst), we remove the (sheep or cattle gut) casing; here for the Catalan varieties the thin pork gut casing doesn’t really matter in terms of texture.
In terms of taste and mouthfeel, I’d consider the edible mold as part of the package (just as a tiiiiny bit of oxidized fat actually rounds off the taste of good iberico ham).

But I fully get that it is a matter of cultural background, exposure and most importantly individual taste …

Agreed, and true of the different casings; I often leave the thinner casings on for me.

And rarely remove too much fat from various hams, though sometimes I'll take some of the fat off prosciutto and use it as a sauté vehicle!

Edited by weinoo (log)
  • Like 2

Tasty Travails - My Blog

Following an accident in which I broke my wrist, I am reduced to having one functional hand. But I'm stubborn and insisted on cooking tonight. Definitely the best one-handed dinner I've ever made. Well, the only one really.

793178098_onehand.thumb.jpg.09ab453424197e8a3637000cbcca32f6.jpg

1-10-10 chicken with couscous and a lettuce and tomato salad. The hardest part was cutting the cooked chicken and the tomatoes.

• Like 8
  • Sad 3

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

1 hour ago, liuzhou said:

Following an accident in which I broke my wrist, I am reduced to having one functional hand. But I'm stubborn and insisted on cooking tonight. Definitely the best one-handed dinner I've ever made. Well, the only one really.

1-10-10 chicken with couscous and a lettuce and tomato salad. The hardest part was cutting the cooked chicken and the tomatoes.

I'm impressed. Slicing a tomato one handed is quite a feat. Were you at least able to use the other hand to steady the tomato while slicing?

27 minutes ago, KennethT said:

I'm impressed. Slicing a tomato one handed is quite a feat. Were you at least able to use the other hand to steady the tomato while slicing?

No. I sandwiched it between four cans of beans to hold it steady. Luckily my knives are sharp. I should have taken a photo, but I would have needed yet another hand!

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, liuzhou said:

ouch, I hope your feel better soon

• Delicious 1

6 minutes ago, Duvel said:

Boulderdash … never seen Fruit Ninja ?!

@liuzhou having recently been there and done that, I applaud your ingenuity, now that I can clap with both hands.

If the rest of you think that it is easy cooking with one hand, try slicing a loaf of French bread or opening a stuck jar lid one handed.

It's the little things that get to you. I celebrated for a week the first time that I could pull my pants up with two hands.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tropicalsenior said:

@liuzhou having recently been there and done that, I applaud your ingenuity, now that I can clap with both hands.

If the rest of you think that it is easy cooking with one hand, try slicing a loaf of French bread or opening a stuck jar lid one handed.

It's the little things that get to you. I celebrated for a week the first time that I could pull my pants up with two hands.

Now, I'm just wondering who is going to do the washing up!

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, liuzhou said:

Ugh, the worst.  I've broken my right wrist three times (all sports injuries--obviously I am not meant for sportsball).  It has led to permanent loss of some strength in that wrist, which can make holding heavy pots with that hand to spoon stuff out a bit tricky.  I hope you feel better soon.  

Niece came home from college for the weekend and requested pizza.  Her favorite carbonara

1973067518_eggpizza.thumb.jpg.efe8c446500c9976b723246946c71fb7.jpg

And roasted mushroom

829974075_mushroompizza.thumb.jpg.97dd74a68c7d7e168826478bdd083915.jpg

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

liuz, you need to channel all of your chess thinking skills now.   Think way ahead of the moment to avoid critical mess.   I recall coming home after hand surgery and deciding to make bread.   Both the loaf and my bandaged paw were pretty ugly.

• Like 1

eGullet member #80.