Jump to content
  • Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2021


liuzhou
 Share

Recommended Posts

For some reason I‘ve got this hankering for Giuvetsi (or Juwezi in German) for some time now. I think it started some weeks ago when I was too lazy to cook and ordered some Gyros at the Greek restaurant, that had earned my trust. My wife wanted something different and I suggested Juwezi. It was bad. As great as their Gyros is, the Juwezi sucked. Big time. I decided to make my own …

 

Flash forward to Friday. 1.5 kg of beef neck were marinated with allspice, nutmeg and oregano, browned and simmered with a loooot of wine, bay leaf, cinnamon and quite some veggies for several hours in the oven Today I strained the sauce, added toasted kritharaki noodles and simmered for 30 min more in a clay pot for the pasta to absorb all the sauce. Topped with crumbled Feta cheese it was really good. Both my wife and the little one asked for seconds and one of them, who still has some growing to do, wanted thirds.

 

Preceded by some Meze …

 

0B0FE7F4-C228-487D-AEE4-7557EB9B83B4.thumb.jpeg.171c0569ccdb33c5cfd46c4e4362d335.jpeg

 

Then the piece de resistance

 

9AAB835C-A4A2-49A6-A4DC-ACDC064CF7F5.thumb.jpeg.644634d22ed516136d319010120d77e0.jpeg

 

And all helped by Ouzo.

 

5E10921C-D42E-47B2-8E59-30160E073920.thumb.jpeg.ce2660e9ec62e23dce1c3e6940dd75d0.jpeg

 

(and accompanied by Disney‘s Robin Hood)

  • Like 13
  • Delicious 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

59 minutes ago, Duvel said:

For some reason I‘ve got this hankering for Giuvetsi (or Juwezi in German) for some time now. I think it started some weeks ago when I was too lazy to cook and ordered some Gyros at the Greek restaurant, that had earned my trust. My wife wanted something different and I suggested Juwezi. It was bad. As great as their Gyros is, the Juwezi sucked. Big time. I decided to make my own …

 

Flash forward to Friday. 1.5 kg of beef neck were marinated with allspice, nutmeg and oregano, browned and simmered with a loooot of wine, bay leaf, cinnamon and quite some veggies for several hours in the oven Today I strained the sauce, added toasted kritharaki noodles and simmered for 30 min more in a clay pot for the pasta to absorb all the sauce. Topped with crumbled Feta cheese it was really good. Both my wife and the little one asked for seconds and one of them, who still has some growing to do, wanted thirds.

 

Preceded by some Meze …

 

0B0FE7F4-C228-487D-AEE4-7557EB9B83B4.thumb.jpeg.171c0569ccdb33c5cfd46c4e4362d335.jpeg

 

Then the piece de resistance

 

9AAB835C-A4A2-49A6-A4DC-ACDC064CF7F5.thumb.jpeg.644634d22ed516136d319010120d77e0.jpeg

 

And all helped by Ouzo.

 

5E10921C-D42E-47B2-8E59-30160E073920.thumb.jpeg.ce2660e9ec62e23dce1c3e6940dd75d0.jpeg

 

(and accompanied by Disney‘s Robin Hood)

Sounds wonderful. I was just reading a description of an Umbrian pasta dish where it is simmered in young wine, dressed with new olive oil and black pepper and tossed with a local hard sheep milk cheese. Totally different but the pasta in flavored liquid thing intrigues

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

First I'm truly saddened by loss of David Ross!!  Just saw that

 

51487908110_d6137cfbba_b.jpg

 

 

Antelope Chorizo burger--souse vide  125/45 min  sautéed in tomato water/ topped with Gogugang home made pickles/ red peppers on Daves bun/ dukes meyo

 

51486200012_9148c2df73_b.jpg

  • Like 10
  • Delicious 1

Its good to have Morels

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, heidih said:

Sounds wonderful. I was just reading a description of an Umbrian pasta dish where it is simmered in young wine, dressed with new olive oil and black pepper and tossed with a local hard sheep milk cheese. Totally different but the pasta in flavored liquid thing intrigues

Oddly, I've never met a "drunken" pasta I liked. But most people are really drawn to it over here. 

 

I've not been posting much as I keep forgetting to photograph the food. Plus many, many moving snafus and we are finally just getting settled. But here is yesterday's dinner out. :) 

 

Here you have a yummy rose (though alcohol felt strong); truffles and egg on toast (you might have realized by now that any time truffles are available I get them. :) ); Cantabrico anchovies with Burrata; a mixed antipasto plate with pappa al pomodoro in the center (tomato and old bread soup); stuffed rabbit;  "Nana al forno" (Roast duck Arezzo-style) served with roast potatoes and veg not shown. There are three "fegatelli" ( liver wrapped in caul fat and sage then stewed) on top; and finally a coffee bavarese. And then the wine selection. No wine list, you have to get up and go choose. Which I love. 

 

 

IMG_5635.jpg

IMG_5649.jpg

IMG_5652.jpg

IMG_5653.jpg

IMG_5661.jpg

c641603c-9c04-4b81-86a1-057a8bc0f8f3.JPG

IMG_5671.jpg

IMG_5687.jpg

  • Like 13
  • Delicious 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, ambra said:

 

I've not been posting much as I keep forgetting to photograph the food. Plus many, many moving snafus and we are finally just getting settled. But here is yesterday's dinner out. :) 

 

 

I feel your pain. I've moved more times than any three normal people you know (I'm nearing 60, and my lifetime average per address is somewhere in the range of 14-16 months...I haven't recalculated lately). Sometime today or tomorrow I'll be driving to NS to help my daughter and her gormless husband move (ugh), and when I get back my GF and I are *finally* going to get around to pulling everything out of our kitchen cupboards and reorganizing/rationalizing it all. Right now everything is still in the same places I chose on the fly when we were moving in.

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

 

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, chromedome said:

Sometime today or tomorrow I'll be driving to NS to help my daughter and her gormless husband move (ugh), and when I get back my GF and I are *finally* going to get

Treat yourself to fish-n-chips at Masstown Market Lighthouse if it is anywhere near your road trip. 

Ugh, moving....

 

truffle eggs, all of it---looks amazing.

 

Smoked 16 boneless skinless chicken thighs and another tray of mixed cheeses.

Chicken over a mixed grain. ---froze some chicken for quick meals, made a chicken salad for a couple lunches.

SMOKED CHICKEN 9-18-2021.png

Edited by Annie_H (log)
  • Like 14
  • Delicious 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Annie_H said:

Treat yourself to fish-n-chips at Masstown Market Lighthouse if it is anywhere near your road trip. 

Ugh, moving....

 

I drive past Masstown Market on my way to and from NB, every trip. My mom's place in (nearby) Truro is my base when I'm in the province, but we've never driven out in that direction while I'm there. Mom's partial to the fish and chips at Murphy's, in Truro itself (and easy walking distance from her apartment).

 

Like a lot of people I think of Ches' fish and chips in St. John's NL as my personal benchmark, though I haven't had theirs in 40 years so now (of course) it's a matter of rose-hued nostalgia. I don't know if they're even still in business.

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

 

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Saturday we went to my parents for dinner.  My Mom called and asked me to bring a loaf of bread or some kind of roll, so I baked a pan of the garlic butter dinner rolls from the most recent issue of Cook's Country magazine.  My Mom and Dad both really liked them, so I will count it as a hit.

 

949719179_garlicheebrolls.thumb.jpg.09cd36d6b662f18bc78438475f1ba8fe.jpg

 

 

Yesterday we had grilled ginger marinated grilled chicken thighs and peaches on yogurt with basil and scallions and an ear of corn on the cob.  I only got four ears of corn in my CSA box this week.  I guess the summer bounty is coming to an end. 😐

 

1937022709_gingergarlicchickenthighs3.thumb.jpg.f25b2202c9c83c2c06fb43b14178a2db.jpg

 

 

  • Like 15
  • Delicious 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Everything on the grill last night: salmon fillet cooked on cedar plank; shishito peppers; eggplant/zucchini/red pepper salad; yams. 

  • Like 5

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, chromedome said:

Like a lot of people I think of Ches' fish and chips in St. John's NL as my personal benchmark, though I haven't had theirs in 40 years so now (of course) it's a matter of rose-hued nostalgia. I don't know if they're even still in business.

We are always on a zip-trip to catch the ferry to NFLD. Ozzy's lobster roll, night in StAndrews. (smoked salmon just up the road)---Masstown has local veg so we stock up. We have never fried at home so it is a treat trip up and back. Had Ches's once when InLaws visited. Good. MassTown is better. (their lobster rolls are horrid)

Gormless, lol. I had to look it up as well. We called our BIL 'no-pants lance' for years....now X-BIL. 

 

Gorgeous mustard sauce and buns and grill thighs...corn, peach.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Annie_H said:

We are always on a zip-trip to catch the ferry to NFLD. Ozzy's lobster roll, night in StAndrews. (smoked salmon just up the road)---Masstown has local veg so we stock up. We have never fried at home so it is a treat trip up and back. Had Ches's once when InLaws visited. Good. MassTown is better. (their lobster rolls are horrid)

Gormless, lol. I had to look it up as well. We called our BIL 'no-pants lance' for years....now X-BIL. 

 

Gorgeous mustard sauce and buns and grill thighs...corn, peach.

I used to live in St. Andrews. It's a nice place, though it's getting priced out of reach now for many of us. There are two smoked-salmon places nearby, Wolf's Head and Oven Head, and they're both good. At Ozzie's I generally order the clams or the seafood platter, because I'm pretty indifferent to lobster (and therefore lobster rolls).

 

I'm not sure how long lobster rolls have been a "thing" in the Maritimes. I never saw or heard of them until I moved back in 2007 to open my restaurant, and was immediately asked if I'd be making them (I had to Google it). That's not to say they weren't here, of course, just that I didn't encounter them. We were not an eating-out family, in the main, when I was growing up. My extended family is heavily divided between those who favor one or another fast-food chain, and those who pack sandwiches because "why would I pay someone else to make food for me when I can make my own for cheaper?"

  • Like 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

 

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, chromedome said:

I'm not sure how long lobster rolls have been a "thing" in the Maritimes.

Good lobster rolls stop at Ozzy's. It is a NewEngland US EastCoast thing. (we also split a mixed clam/scallop/shrimp platter at Ozzy's)😜

Homesick...we were packing for a few months trip when NY went into lock-down and the border closed. Just one week earlier we would have been stuck in NFLD...grrr. (no place I would have preferred to spent that time than NFLD).

 

 

 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/19/2021 at 7:00 AM, weinoo said:

 

Stir fried cabbage and celery.

Sometimes the most simple meal addition with a kiss of heat---celery, cabbage, maybe a bit of fennel seed. Garlic. I have a good friend that hates celery...head shake as I can't live without celery....

NYTimes has a long list of pantry cooking. Simple two-three ingredients. No recipe cooking---pantry cooking
This was last Friday waiting for a delivery I kept putting off to use what I have. 5-7 pm delivery but came close to 7pm. While waiting I made a pasta salad and a potato salad for the weekend. (BBQ sides)...pasta salad had a minced seed---toasted pepitas, sesame, sunflower...a bit of pesto. Potato salad had lots of veg---celery herbs olives, prosciutto bacon, mustard, fresh grated horseradish...grated carrot, a last bit of fennel...singletons. Half a golden beet. Carrot tops. Garden herbs. Two ribs of lacinato kale. 

Fridge so empty I took two glass shelf trays outside and hosed off/scrubbed. 

Nice meal save taking out a pint smoked bone broth from the freezer---added veg as it thawed...a big gulp/scoop of pasta and potato salad.

(parmesan rind)... 

Double/triple starch seems odd...but the texture combination is quite stunning. Using third portions of each starch like a mixed grain. 

(if I had some roasted garbanzos I would not hesitate to add as well)...but they were soaking

Proscuitto bacon for the potato salad---extra for this beauty. Nice to make a kitchen hack that works out on the fly. 

 

 

 

 

IMG_5690.jpeg

  • Like 8
  • Delicious 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/18/2021 at 9:01 AM, scamhi said:
24 minutes ago, Annie_H said:

Sometimes the most simple meal addition with a kiss of heat---celery, cabbage, maybe a bit of fennel seed. Garlic. I have a good friend that hates celery...head shake as I can't live without celery....

NYTimes has a long list of pantry cooking. Simple two-three ingredients. No recipe cooking---pantry cooking
This was last Friday waiting for a delivery I kept putting off to use what I have. 5-7 pm delivery but came close to 7pm. While waiting I made a pasta salad and a potato salad for the weekend. (BBQ sides)...pasta salad had a minced seed---toasted pepitas, sesame, sunflower...a bit of pesto. Potato salad had lots of veg---celery herbs olives, prosciutto bacon, mustard, fresh grated horseradish...grated carrot, a last bit of fennel...singletons. Half a golden beet. Carrot tops. Garden herbs. Two ribs of lacinato kale. 

Fridge so empty I took two glass shelf trays outside and hosed off/scrubbed. 

Nice meal save taking out a pint smoked bone broth from the freezer---added veg as it thawed...a big gulp/scoop of pasta and potato salad.

(parmesan rind)... 

Double/triple starch seems odd...but the texture combination is quite stunning. Using third portions of each starch like a mixed grain. 

(if I had some roasted garbanzos I would not hesitate to add as well)...but they were soaking

Proscuitto bacon for the potato salad---extra for this beauty. Nice to make a kitchen hack that works out on the fly. 

 

 

 

 

IMG_5690.jpeg

 

I was calling it 'Singleton Soup' ---using this and that from the garden/pantry/crisper. Knowing it must have an Italian name specific. A search next day, nope. Sicilan pasta e potate....an empty cupboard using this-n-that. A quick meal hearty what is local veg and pantry staples. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

After a rather intense day at work (read: home office), I needed to move a bit. My walk through the fields ended at the supermarket. I didn‘t need anything, but they had Bavarian weeks and I decided ad hoc for a mini Oktoberfest. With a full fridge at home (as my wife pointed out rightfully after my return). But who is to blame ? Never go shopping with an empty stomach …

 

C319DEB5-A1F9-488F-8C2B-FD0BC2772EEA.thumb.jpeg.7f67c342fc683c54bd32896ce4d4448d.jpeg

 

Fresh Weisswurst …


0FA7E1A2-A640-4411-92E8-157A436A7304.thumb.jpeg.aa8eef55589cb8f3c6508a262cfc5161.jpeg

 

Knödel with mushrooms & roasted onions …

 

660C151D-5A76-48DB-AEBB-35BF93FCF551.thumb.jpeg.5d7c1752406368ead6b5d48647d66ed5.jpeg

 

Bierradi (daikon, salted)

 

4568CE78-C9AD-4EF6-A43E-4B6D71C58289.thumb.jpeg.bf57fff52affaeec7ad37bd823da12af.jpeg
 

And a nice beer …

 

3FB5486D-54B7-49BB-AD57-2F007E448E79.thumb.jpeg.a1dfcdfab6173ab1dc56095231133d40.jpeg

 

There are worst days to be had 🤗

 

EF8667CF-FAED-40A5-A930-8969FFF3DF1E.thumb.jpeg.d1de2785c23da12c899d18eb8d2904fe.jpeg

  • Like 12
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, Duvel said:

Knödel with mushrooms & roasted onions …

Mushroom envy. Need to make MarcellaHazan mushroom risotto soon. A Fall pre-winter favorite. Looks good!---anything mushroom

Such an interesting variety of foods. I do like a bit of this and a bit of that. "Fresh Weisswurst …" no idea what that is....

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Annie_H said:

Mushroom envy. Need to make MarcellaHazan mushroom risotto soon. A Fall pre-winter favorite. Looks good!---anything mushroom

Such an interesting variety of foods. I do like a bit of this and a bit of that. "Fresh Weisswurst …" no idea what that is....

 


It‘s a Bavarian veal sausage, flavored with lemon, parsley and some spices. Traditionally boiled and consumed before lunch by „sucking“ out the sausage from its peel. Goes well with sweet mustard … more here.

Edited by Duvel (log)
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I should add that carb heavy meals always 24/7 365days includes side salads of fresh raw greens/pantry garden grown salads/micro-greens....grown year round. I do not often post a side salad pic. Usually a big shared salad brunch platter we snack on. Pre-dinner. I prefer a big grazing raw kitchen crisper drawer salad. Pre-dinner. Even a few hours ahead. My family is such a grazing all-day-long picker eater---raw good foods before a meal.  

 

 

PANTRY SALADS-MICROS.png

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sunset wine. Santorini's very own Assyrtiko.

PWz8tms.jpg

 

GtPXGMb.jpg

 

XX30Cb2.jpg

 

From a poverty stricken island without the most basic amenities until the 80's to its meteoric rise being "one of the most visited islands in .the. world." and "one the the most expensive places in Greece" (there are not too many of them). Santorini is the jewel in the crown of the Cyclades. Extraordinary beauty at every turn, Santorini is every photographer's dream.

ylWPTed.jpg

 

Edited by BonVivant (log)
  • Like 9
Link to comment
Share on other sites

freezer diving, again. this time a package of turkey meatballs sans sauce.

added olive oil, sliced garlic some chili flakes and a 28oz can of Gustarosso DOP San Marzano tomatoes from Gustiamo. Topped with fresh whole milk ricotta and grated parm.

 

IMG_5784.jpg

  • Like 13
  • Delicious 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...