Jump to content
  • Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2021


liuzhou
 Share

Recommended Posts

9 hours ago, KennethT said:

The legs were cooked at 275 for about 2 hours - at which time they were just cooked. 

 

Here's Lebovitz's method:

 

https://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2015/08/02/428134024/counterfeit-duck-confit-all-of-the-flavor-without-the-labor

 

What kind of legs were they?

  • Like 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

IMG_4830.thumb.jpeg.61048c5ca8c30c8cc8813791fcaabf24.jpeg

 

Found some pork shoulder trimmings in the freezer and after defrosting and salting, sautéed them with a little bit of roasted Hatch and roasted yellow bell peppers. The pork was so good and tender.  Plate served along with Rancho Gordo's Mayocoba beans, guacamole, tomato salad, Jersey corn and tortillas, which made Significant Eater very happy.

  • Like 8
  • Delicious 1
  • Haha 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Pork with fermented black beans, garlic, chilli, Shaoxing wine, soy sauce, scallions and cilantro/coriander.

 

72189844_porkwithblackbeans.thumb.jpg.65c2f6b50bed770801207fe11cae485d.jpg

 

"South African" ice plant, stir-fried with garlic.

 

122887352_iceplant.thumb.jpg.8c528a6df7c021c9cd1d9c71acd5a595.jpg

 

Rice.

 

 

 

 

 

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 10
  • Delicious 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

 

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/5/2021 at 4:39 PM, rotuts said:

same,

 

but i use two layers of 

 

parchment  paper in between

 

helps clean-up

 

if you get excellent 

 

browning in the layers

 Agreed on the parchment.  Beautiful browning, no sticking and easy clean up

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, weinoo said:

 

What kind of legs were they?

2 for $5 at the farmer's market...  I think this is the last pack in my freezer - but since I've got so much in there now, there could be another package or so buried at the bottom.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Shepherd's Pie :

 

IMG_0255.thumb.jpg.f5f9b089b2d8e3e5c1054326cd7e5fe1.jpg

 

 

this was all Commercially prepared ingredients :

 

in the past I CSO'd a slab of ground turkey , from TJ's 

 

as it was approaching the ' Eat Me Soon '  date , as i had to get it done

 

so , I took this idea a little further :

 

IMG_0241.thumb.jpg.33ec1797b15a1e5c7e4635c8ced295a0.jpg

 

ShadyBrookFarm ground turkey  83 %.   said by the company to be dark meat , vs the 93 % 

 

which is mostly white meat.   the packages are 22 or 24 oz , so thicker.

 

above , flipped out of the plastic container , and Penzey's Chicago Steak Seasoning on the top

 

15 min. CSO , 350 F steam.  

 

added a jar of commercial Turkey Gravy.  this jar was Heinz.

 

into the jar I added 1/2 T Bell's seasoning   ( Vac'd and Fz  pre thanksgiving )

 

a few drops of liquid smoke ( Wright's )  and a few drops of RB40.

 

shook the jar vigorously to distribute .  no pan needed 

 

IMG_0243.thumb.jpg.675312514846c1f381a0dee64adf0c89.jpg

 

 

added commercial mashed potatoes , right out of the

 

package.  there are two brands ( at least ) in my area .  this  one , and the other one .

 

Ha Ha.  ' Family size ' :

 

IMG_0247.thumb.jpg.5724f09efe14c35b00f0fb087e9e0a17.jpg

 

back to the CSO   350F  steam 30 minutes 

 

IMG_0250.thumb.jpg.edcdc3d65045c88f66406014f65f62d8.jpg

 

moved it up in the CSO for Steam Broil.

 

the potatoes are quite stiff right out the the refrigerator , so Ill ' cut them up ' a bit more

 

next time , right in the container .

 

I was surprised how tasty this was.  remember , Im looking for ' easy '

 

next time Ill try the Mushroom gravy ( Jar'd )

 

and brown the top more in the CSO

 

the temp of the meat was 160 f when i took it out

 

pre browning .   Ill try for 140 - 145 F next time.

 

as has been said here , from time to time 

 

" Ill just get my coat ....'

 

 

 

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 9
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

@rotuts No - leave your coat. This is precisely the type of tasty assemblage I tried to show/tech my MIL when we went to visit. She was head dietitian at a major hospital but could NOT cook. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, KennethT said:

2 for $5 at the farmer's market...  I think this is the last pack in my freezer - but since I've got so much in there now, there could be another package or so buried at the bottom.

 

This is the result when I use those. I might not have mentioned that they do spend at least overnight in the fridge, salted and seasoned, before being cooked. 

 

280216358_DuckLegs2016_05_083208.thumb.JPG.c98412b1ddb92d8c42254cd662fd2721.JPG

 

I do them sous vide when I want a more confit-like end product.

Edited by weinoo (log)
  • Like 8
  • Delicious 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, rotuts said:

Shepherd's Pie :

 

IMG_0255.thumb.jpg.f5f9b089b2d8e3e5c1054326cd7e5fe1.jpg

 

 

this was all Commercially prepared ingredients :

 

in the past I CSO'd a slab of ground turkey , from TJ's 

 

as it was approaching the ' Eat Me Soon '  date , as i had to get it done

 

so , I took this idea a little further :

 

IMG_0241.thumb.jpg.33ec1797b15a1e5c7e4635c8ced295a0.jpg

 

ShadyBrookFarm ground turkey  83 %.   said by the company to be dark meat , vs the 93 % 

 

which is mostly white meat.   the packages are 22 or 24 oz , so thicker.

 

above , flipped out of the plastic container , and Penzey's Chicago Steak Seasoning on the top

 

15 min. CSO , 350 F steam.  

 

added a jar of commercial Turkey Gravy.  this jar was Heinz.

 

into the jar I added 1/2 T Bell's seasoning   ( Vac'd and Fz  pre thanksgiving )

 

a few drops of liquid smoke ( Wright's )  and a few drops of RB40.

 

shook the jar vigorously to distribute .  no pan needed 

 

IMG_0243.thumb.jpg.675312514846c1f381a0dee64adf0c89.jpg

 

 

added commercial mashed potatoes , right out of the

 

package.  there are two brands ( at least ) in my area .  this  one , and the other one .

 

Ha Ha.  ' Family size ' :

 

IMG_0247.thumb.jpg.5724f09efe14c35b00f0fb087e9e0a17.jpg

 

back to the CSO   350F  steam 30 minutes 

 

IMG_0250.thumb.jpg.edcdc3d65045c88f66406014f65f62d8.jpg

 

moved it up in the CSO for Steam Broil.

 

the potatoes are quite stiff right out the the refrigerator , so Ill ' cut them up ' a bit more

 

next time , right in the container .

 

I was surprised how tasty this was.  remember , Im looking for ' easy '

 

next time Ill try the Mushroom gravy ( Jar'd )

 

and brown the top more in the CSO

 

the temp of the meat was 160 f when i took it out

 

pre browning .   Ill try for 140 - 145 F next time.

 

as has been said here , from time to time 

 

" Ill just get my coat ....'

 

 

 

 

Try Bell's turkey gravy.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, weinoo said:

 

This is the result when I use though. I might not have mentioned that they do spend at least overnight in the fridge, salted and seasoned, before being cooked. 

 

280216358_DuckLegs2016_05_083208.thumb.JPG.c98412b1ddb92d8c42254cd662fd2721.JPG

 

I do them sous vide when I want a more confit-like end product.

I salted/seasoned and sat the fridge for about 5 hours prior to cooking.  If I do decide to do in teh oven again, I might try it with steam rather than just convection.  But the SV is just so easy - I usually put 4 legs in the bath at one time, and once done, they'll keep in my refrigerator for months ready for whatever I want to do with them.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Dinner at friends' house last night. 

 

Monstrous salad, anchovies, grilled lambsicals, wild mushrooms, grilled tuna and Benziger's Cabernet Sauvignon to go with.

 

PXL_20210906_235124482.thumb.jpg.1a1a3297a7dfdf4756ce9f4f1150a15b.jpg

 

Dessert was watermelon and feta cubes with mint.

 

PXL_20210906_235141353.PORTRAIT.thumb.jpg.88c6470fbe7f809e82a8a1a3d072705f.jpg

 

  • Like 16
  • Delicious 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, KennethT said:

But the SV is just so easy - I usually put 4 legs in the bath at one time, and once done, they'll keep in my refrigerator for months ready for whatever I want to do with them.

 

Indeed (SV is easy), certainly as far as clean up!  But you still have to remember to do them, they take 8 - 10 hours in the bath - and what if you don't have any ready in the fridge and want duck legs!

 

P.S. I might've done them on steam - I don't really remember what I do.

Edited by weinoo (log)
  • Like 2

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, weinoo said:

Here's Lebovitz's method:

I bookmarked that one. Duck in most forms I've usually have out about and trust the chef. A few holidays past I wood fired whole ducks rotisserie but most family/guests don't care for it, 🙄...more for me. 

Nice cheat recipe.

Sous vide might be my first choice also. I don't use it often but when I do it is a golden ticket in the pocket. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/6/2021 at 8:13 AM, rotuts said:

 

how do you concentrate your tomatoes ?

 

I have a dehydrator. For my taste, I like to slice the tomatoes 3/8" thick and dry them for about one hour.

 

dcarch

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

@JoNorvelleWalker 

 

''   Try Bell's turkey gravy. ''

 

I have . its relatively new, to me.

 

its quite interesting 

 

it reminded me of Turkey fat 

 

as if some of the turkey fat flavor was added

 

but have very little fat in it.

 

interesting stuff.

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Simple dinner tonight. Bone in strip steak SVed at 120F for 2.5 hours and seared at 500F in an antique cast iron fry pan 90 seconds per side. Served with cauliflower streamed for 15 minutes. 

 

No seasoning on the steak, butter, black pepper and pink salt on the cauliflower.

 

PXL_20210907_231213988.thumb.jpg.38faa8229fbeb83e9a7ea34f72d20cd8.jpg

 

A glass of Los Hermanos temprenillo went well with it.

 

  • Like 8
  • Delicious 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, rotuts said:

@JoNorvelleWalker 

 

''   Try Bell's turkey gravy. ''

 

I have . its relatively new, to me.

 

its quite interesting 

 

it reminded me of Turkey fat 

 

as if some of the turkey fat flavor was added

 

but have very little fat in it.

 

interesting stuff.

 

 

 

I practice what I preach.  Since there were none left in the pantry bedroom, I stopped by Shoprite on my way to work, and brought home two jars of Bell's -- but chicken, not turkey, as chicken is my preference.  It was on sale.

 

If I ever make it past the peanut course, dinner is APO chicken thigh, mashed potato, Bell's gravy, and Whole Foods frozen peas.  MR would be nice but I don't have the energy to get up and do anything about it.

 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

We had frozen 土豆窝窝 (potato nests), leftover from making them somewhat traditionally with a doubanjiang based sauce.

 

So this time I wanted to play around a bit. Made a vaguely Japanese mushroom sauce with miso, soy, lots of ginger, rice wine, some sugar. Very floral from the wine and ginger. Some tofu for protein. And a finish of toasted seeds.

 

 

PXL_20210829_184449065.MP.jpg

  • Like 9
  • Delicious 1

~ Shai N.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, scamhi said:

Shrimp with lobster sauce

Urakasumi Shiboritate Tokubetsu Junmai Nama Sake

IMG_5662.jpg

 

 

That looks divine and is something I totally miss. Do you have a recipe you love? 

Edited by ambra (log)
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...