• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2021

liuzhou

A Cyprus-Greek-Turkish cheese bread. The dough slightly enriched with olive oil, and lightly sweetened.

Covered with sesame, some nigella. Baked twice, so it's crisp from outside but fluffy inside.

Cheeses are halloumi, feta and kashkaval.

Some spirals are with roasted peppers, the others with leek, onion and scallions.

Also some olives, oregano.

PXL_20210522_182535238.jpg

PXL_20210522_182912832.jpg

PXL_20210522_192034904.jpg

• Like 17
  • Delicious 5

~ Shai N.

9 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Why is it that we seldom see Ann's dinner?

Usually I will have the same thing.  But sometimes I cook things just for Moe that he loves and I don't care for. Like scallops.

And most breakfasts are just for him because I don't really care for traditional breakfast foods.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

It’s time for BBLTs!

Please don’t criticize me for doing things different.

For me, a BLT has to have the following qualities; otherwise it’s just a plain ordinary sandwich.

1. B – Bread! A BLT is a special summer celebration, you can’t just use plain store white bread.
  2. B – Bacon, I have my favorite brand of bacon, and I like to render all the fat out crispy, in this rendering process, I can harvest about two table spoons of pure bacon juice. This juice is what I call liquid gold. I sprinkle this amazing juice on the tomato slices. The fat goes to the compost. I don’t feel like eating bacon fat all summer long.
  3. L – I never buy iceberg. I only eat garden special lettuces.
  4. T – Fresh pick garden ripe tomatoes. Why would I put watery tomato slices to mess up crispy bacon and end up with soggy bread? I dehydrate the tomato slices partially. Wow! Concentrate tomato goodness!

Enjoy a safe summer to you all.

dcarch

1. 308242219_BLT2021b.thumb.jpg.d3f3db172ed6abaf1c1250120f587a77.jpg606382745_BLT2021a.thumb.jpg.a22d96fd879e990f462130028dead318.jpg638979463_BLT2021.thumb.jpg.dc325e24f13ffb3419f7b0db057a0307.jpg
Edited by dcarch (log)
  • Like 13
  • Delicious 4

14 minutes ago, dcarch said:

It’s time for BBLTs!

Please don’t criticize me for doing things different.

For me, a BLT has to have the following qualities; otherwise it’s just a plain ordinary sandwich.

1. B – a BLT is a special summer celebration, you can’t just use plain store white bread.
  2. B – Bacon, I have my favorite brand of bacon, and I like to render all the fat out crispy, in this rendering process, I can harvest about two table spoons of pure bacon juice. This juice is what I call liquid gold. I sprinkle this amazing juice on the tomato slices. The fat goes to the compost. I don’t feel like eating bacon fat all summer long.
  3. L – I never buy iceberg. I only eat garden special lettuces.
  4. T – Fresh pick garden ripe tomatoes. Why would I put watery tomato slices to mess up crispy bacon and end up with soggy bread? I dehydrate the tomato slices partially. Wow! Concentrate tomato goodness!

Enjoy a safe summer to you all.

dcarch

1. 308242219_BLT2021b.thumb.jpg.d3f3db172ed6abaf1c1250120f587a77.jpg606382745_BLT2021a.thumb.jpg.a22d96fd879e990f462130028dead318.jpg638979463_BLT2021.thumb.jpg.dc325e24f13ffb3419f7b0db057a0307.jpg

I am with you on everything. Very crisp bacon, lettuce for taste not just crisp factor, and you are so lucky to be a tomato gardener. So no mayo- the bacon "juice" instead? Can you amplify on juice v. fat? Thanks. 

7 hours ago, shain said:

A Cyprus-Greek-Turkish cheese bread. The dough slightly enriched with olive oil, and lightly sweetened.

Covered with sesame, some nigella. Baked twice, so it's crisp from outside but fluffy inside.

Cheeses are halloumi, feta and kashkaval.

Some spirals are with roasted peppers, the others with leek, onion and scallions.

Also some olives, oregano.

PXL_20210522_182535238.jpg

PXL_20210522_182912832.jpg

PXL_20210522_192034904.jpg

That looks absolutely amazing!

• Thanks 1

Homemade pesto and rehydrated tomatoes (from neighbour's garden), Parmesan-Reggiano, Butterkäse, and fresh goat cheese. Rather a lot of cheese actually.

Good reports from eaters.

IMG_3507_cropped.thumb.jpg.566c738e0b6e05c7a433348f24bece9c.jpg

• Like 12
  • Delicious 1

5 hours ago, heidih said:

I am with you on everything. Very crisp bacon, lettuce for taste not just crisp factor, and you are so lucky to be a tomato gardener. So no mayo- the bacon "juice" instead? Can you amplify on juice v. fat? Thanks. 

The first step is to use low heat (220F) to render most of the fat without carbonizing the lean meat. At this temperature, the bacon juice (and fat) drips down without evaporated away because it's under the rendered fat. As you can understand, this bacon juice is very bacon-ly flavorful, together with semi-dehydrated tomatoes, there is no need for mayo.

4 hours ago, btbyrd said:

Curious about your favored bacon brand for BLTs. There are many excellent options, but this year I’m partial to Neuske’s.

Boar's Head is what works best for my taste for a BLT.

dcarch

• Like 6

Meticulously following a published recipe for a Michelin restaurant's celebrated Corona bean dish, I turned out this mediocre plate.    Tomato sauce, feta and toasted crumbs.

IMG_1155.jpg.03f8a3467781f89f485a372a4820fd4a.jpg

Husband hated it.   I got down enough to call it dinner.   

But refusing to waste Gigantes, whch I love but more important, respect, I drained and washed the beans!     Not back to square one, but they will live to fight another day.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 4

eGullet member #80.

1 hour ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

Meticulously following a published recipe for a Michelin restaurant's celebrated Corona bean dish, I turned out this mediocre plate.    Tomato sauce, feta and toasted crumbs.

IMG_1155.jpg.03f8a3467781f89f485a372a4820fd4a.jpg

Husband hated it.   I got down enough to call it dinner.   

But refusing to waste Gigantes, whch I love but more important, respect, I drained and washed the beans!     Not back to square one, but they will live to fight another day.

What was wrong about the dish?

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Back to my (or someone's) roots, yesterday I made a kinda all-day Sunday gravy. Using beef, pork, and hot and sweet sausages (but no larger hunks of meat), and three different kinds of canned and/or jarred tomatoes...

IMG_4698.thumb.jpeg.3022aa13d7afabf1508849461a18459a.jpeg\

For its first use - dinner last night...

IMG_4700.thumb.jpeg.f6aba08020062f3ce0ad88754beb535b.jpeg

Faella penne with all-day gravy, some herbs and Parmigiano-Reggiano. Zero leftovers, whereas I usually have enough left over for a frittata.

• Like 16
  • Delicious 3

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Last night at the beach.

Reverse seared porterhouse steaks to get a crust on them I threw them directly on the coals. (Gas grill at the house is not working) served with salad 

and 82 and 89 Chateau Palmer

IMG_5467.jpg

IMG_5470.jpg

IMG_5471.jpg

IMG_5472.jpg

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 2

32 minutes ago, scamhi said:

Last night at the beach.

Reverse seared porterhouse steaks to get a crust on them I threw them directly on the coals. (Gas grill at the house is not working) served with salad 

and 82 and 89 Chateau Palmer

IMG_5467.jpg

IMG_5470.jpg

IMG_5471.jpg

IMG_5472.jpg

Love Palmer... one of my favorite Bordeaux

• Like 2

@scamhi 

very nice looking steak

Ive seen this technique 

several times on some CookngShows

w people who I respect as ' chefs // cooks '

none of them mention if the charcoal residue is

brushed off .

what do you do after removing the steak from the coals ?

• Like 2

5 hours ago, rotuts said:

@scamhi 

very nice looking steak

Ive seen this technique 

several times on some CookngShows

w people who I respect as ' chefs // cooks '

none of them mention if the charcoal residue is

brushed off .

what do you do after removing the steak from the coals ?

there is no residue or ash to wipe off.  the term clinching the meat is for cooking directly on the coals. it produces a hard sear in a short time.

• Like 1