Jump to content
  • Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2021


liuzhou
 Share

Recommended Posts

21 minutes ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

I am more interested in what I guess are the morels.  They are quite different from West Coast morels.    Can you tell us about them?

Ours, cap = 1" to 3", light to medium brown.:

 

 

I don't think the morels here are any different.

 

morels.thumb.jpg.3f03a5872d5c12817d8631dc44be6c1e.jpg

 

Those in my dish were dried morels which I rehydrated then sliced in half. This year's fresh supply is expected in the next week or so.

  • Like 3

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

 

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Link to comment
Share on other sites

48 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

 

I don't think the morels here are any different.

 

morels.thumb.jpg.3f03a5872d5c12817d8631dc44be6c1e.jpg

 

Those in my dish were dried morels which I rehydrated then sliced in half. This year's fresh supply is expected in the next week or so.

I've never had a dried morel - how would you compare it to the fresh?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, KennethT said:

I've never had a dried morel - how would you compare it to the fresh?

Morels are somewhat boring to begin with (my opinion - clearly), drying certainly does not help the poor shroom.  Reconstituting in hot water, saving said liquid for a risotto, broth, sauce, etc is critical (most of the flavour ends up in there) - the resulting mushroom is somewhat worse for ware.  Fresh morels are far superior.  Does not do as well as say a porcini, when dried.

 

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Frittata with carrots, ginger, mozzarella, five spice, pepper, basil.

Rice (steamed but flavored akin to fried rice) with dried chilies (hot and sweet), lots of garlic, some douchi, some soy sauce, cashew, scallions.

Chili oil.

Dry hopped lagers.

 

I love silicon bakeware. This frittata was mixed and baked in a single small loaf pan.

 

 

PXL_20210723_192314741.jpg

Edited by shain (log)
  • Like 7

~ Shai N.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, KennethT said:

I've never had a dried morel - how would you compare it to the fresh?

While the fresh are undoubtedly better, the dried are perfectly acceptable and reconstitute well. I would use the two differently, though.

 

Fresh morels I usually simply fry in butter and serve as a dish in their own right. The dried I tend to use with other ingredients (sometimes including other mushroooms) in stir fries, etc.

 

Of course, I keep the soaking liquid for other uses.

 

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

 

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@Ann_T – my blueberries were frozen (the fresh ones were all enormous and tasteless).  Everything I read said not to mix the frozen ones into the batter before cooking.  Do you think I should have – even with frozen ones?  Thank you!

 

@Norm Matthews – pork in any form is my favorite meat, but I especially love a good fried chop!

 

@Margaret Pilgrim – I had to Google “galantine”.  Looks and sounds lovely.

 

My recent dinners have been shameful – at least the ones that I “prepared” have.  The other one was a meal out that is a story in itself, if you care to partake of the “tea”. 

 

Monday’s dinner included tomatoes from our friends’ garden (nothing shameful here!  Just wait.):

IMG_6691.jpg.2764d4f7fe28984c6f9eb19ee3b5175b.jpg

We will be sorry when these are gone.  I used them to their best advantage:

IMG_6692.thumb.jpg.d0ea9d41a2af04166790486191613554.jpg

😁

It was really a catch as catch can meal.  I set out a bunch of leftovers, prepared a couple of things and told them to have at it.  My plate:

IMG_6693.thumb.jpg.76b37606c43cad65cdc52ba2d7d5f35f.jpg

Corn, tomato sandwich, leftover mac n cheese and pork chop from Sunday lunch and sorta-kinda @Shelby’s cucumbers:

IMG_6694.jpg.bfb6ea437bcda1233c07eb089290dee4.jpg

@Shelby's dressed cukes always look so good.  When I asked her what was in them she said, mayo, sour cream, fresh dill, cider vinegar, sugar, and S&P.  We had a huge cuke from our friends and I was planning on doing @Shelby’s when I remembered I had a big tub of so-called tzatziki from Costco in the fridge.  When we first tasted the tzatziki, I remarked that with the addition of some dill and cucumbers, it would make decent tzatziki🙄.  So, I fixed the stuff in the tub up with @Shelby’s ingredients and added the cuke.  Really good.  And it lasted a couple of days.

 

Here’s the dinner out and the story.  It’s mostly me whining and venting, so skip it if you like.  We celebrated Mr. Kim’s mother’s 80th birthday with dinner out on Tuesday at a sushi/steak place with Mr. Kim’s siblings and SOs and assorted nieces.  It is a favorite of Mr. Kim’s sister and her husband’s.  It was an extremely, and unnecessarily, expensive evening.  Jessica has been out of work for the last month and her car broke down this week and Mr. Kim is supporting two households.  He let his sister know that we were trying to economize, but it seemed to make no difference at all.  Tons of sushi ordered “for the table” and not everyone even ate it, though it was reportedly fantastic.  Neither the restaurant nor the sushi was my MIL’s choice and she and her best friend were obviously uncomfortable with the menu choices and food.  The bill was equally divided by person and even though the three of us had been careful in our ordering and didn’t have alcohol, our portion was $400😳.  That is basically our grocery budget for a month.  Here’s the food and I truly hope that I haven’t let the negative family experience color my views of the restaurant.  Some of the dishes – crab stuffed shrimp with lemon risotto and a lemon cream sauce:

IMG_6722.thumb.jpg.f4a778f53cf4d0ed7ec9351bff5607f3.jpg

This was good, but no flavor of lemon came through.

 

Brussels sprouts w/ sticky Asian sauce and spicy ranch:

IMG_6723.jpg.526187ef27cf618d46cac4e776f08e04.jpg

The flavor of this was excellent.  It was too spicy for me, though.  And the sprouts were overcooked.

 

Mushrooms:

IMG_6724.jpg.37ce70d386d7835a338e2e17ff0b9a4b.jpg

Some of which were extremely woody and tough.  They were apparently tasty. 

 

The poinsettia:

IMG_6725.jpg.a064005c0cd8c4bc77cc6c708dc26a7f.jpg

Spicy tuna, red caviar, eel sauce, sriracha, and spicy mayo. 

 

OG Cali roll:

IMG_6726.thumb.jpg.9e3f5608a5b4c43d5d70e7f0a3331298.jpg

Lump crab, avocado, cucumber, and tobiko.

 

As I said, everyone, including Mr. Kim, loved the sushi/sashimi/rolls.

 

The BD cake:

IMG_6727.jpg.5c12cc77713ff29876d25938926bf6ac.jpg

Chocolate cake and 7-minute frosting.  Thank you for your indulgence!

 

Last night was at home – more lovely tomatoes:

IMG_6737.jpg.df42396b3a78494267d847678fe27144.jpg

 

It was all even MORE catch as catch can than the other night.  I literally just tossed stuff out on every flat surface in the kitchen and said, “it’s ready!”.  Cheeses:

IMG_6738.jpg.e2610c751675195c2ad6791eb6b1380a.jpg

 

Crackers and chip/dip:

IMG_6739.jpg.5657f27b00a43970ddc0e967e7fa13b7.jpg

 

IMG_6740.jpg.609c167f11e41039f30132cfb1226874.jpg

(see how utterly trashy I was?)

 

Marinated cucumbers and the rest of the kinda-sorta @Shelby’s cukes:

IMG_6741.jpg.46b4d7ae303d2989b8fea8cdd84aec71.jpg

I am embarrassed.  🙄

  • Like 9
  • Delicious 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

@Ann_T – my blueberries were frozen (the fresh ones were all enormous and tasteless).  Everything I read said not to mix the frozen ones into the batter before cooking.  Do you think I should have – even with frozen ones?  Thank you!

 

@Norm Matthews – pork in any form is my favorite meat, but I especially love a good fried chop!

 

@Margaret Pilgrim – I had to Google “galantine”.  Looks and sounds lovely.

 

My recent dinners have been shameful – at least the ones that I “prepared” have.  The other one was a meal out that is a story in itself, if you care to partake of the “tea”. 

 

Monday’s dinner included tomatoes from our friends’ garden (nothing shameful here!  Just wait.):

IMG_6691.jpg.2764d4f7fe28984c6f9eb19ee3b5175b.jpg

We will be sorry when these are gone.  I used them to their best advantage:

IMG_6692.thumb.jpg.d0ea9d41a2af04166790486191613554.jpg

😁

It was really a catch as catch can meal.  I set out a bunch of leftovers, prepared a couple of things and told them to have at it.  My plate:

IMG_6693.thumb.jpg.76b37606c43cad65cdc52ba2d7d5f35f.jpg

Corn, tomato sandwich, leftover mac n cheese and pork chop from Sunday lunch and sorta-kinda @Shelby’s cucumbers:

IMG_6694.jpg.bfb6ea437bcda1233c07eb089290dee4.jpg

@Shelby's dressed cukes always look so good.  When I asked her what was in them she said, mayo, sour cream, fresh dill, cider vinegar, sugar, and S&P.  We had a huge cuke from our friends and I was planning on doing @Shelby’s when I remembered I had a big tub of so-called tzatziki from Costco in the fridge.  When we first tasted the tzatziki, I remarked that with the addition of some dill and cucumbers, it would make decent tzatziki🙄.  So, I fixed the stuff in the tub up with @Shelby’s ingredients and added the cuke.  Really good.  And it lasted a couple of days.

 

Here’s the dinner out and the story.  It’s mostly me whining and venting, so skip it if you like.  We celebrated Mr. Kim’s mother’s 80th birthday with dinner out on Tuesday at a sushi/steak place with Mr. Kim’s siblings and SOs and assorted nieces.  It is a favorite of Mr. Kim’s sister and her husband’s.  It was an extremely, and unnecessarily, expensive evening.  Jessica has been out of work for the last month and her car broke down this week and Mr. Kim is supporting two households.  He let his sister know that we were trying to economize, but it seemed to make no difference at all.  Tons of sushi ordered “for the table” and not everyone even ate it, though it was reportedly fantastic.  Neither the restaurant nor the sushi was my MIL’s choice and she and her best friend were obviously uncomfortable with the menu choices and food.  The bill was equally divided by person and even though the three of us had been careful in our ordering and didn’t have alcohol, our portion was $400😳.  That is basically our grocery budget for a month.  Here’s the food and I truly hope that I haven’t let the negative family experience color my views of the restaurant.  Some of the dishes – crab stuffed shrimp with lemon risotto and a lemon cream sauce:

IMG_6722.thumb.jpg.f4a778f53cf4d0ed7ec9351bff5607f3.jpg

This was good, but no flavor of lemon came through.

 

Brussels sprouts w/ sticky Asian sauce and spicy ranch:

IMG_6723.jpg.526187ef27cf618d46cac4e776f08e04.jpg

The flavor of this was excellent.  It was too spicy for me, though.  And the sprouts were overcooked.

 

Mushrooms:

IMG_6724.jpg.37ce70d386d7835a338e2e17ff0b9a4b.jpg

Some of which were extremely woody and tough.  They were apparently tasty. 

 

The poinsettia:

IMG_6725.jpg.a064005c0cd8c4bc77cc6c708dc26a7f.jpg

Spicy tuna, red caviar, eel sauce, sriracha, and spicy mayo. 

 

OG Cali roll:

IMG_6726.thumb.jpg.9e3f5608a5b4c43d5d70e7f0a3331298.jpg

Lump crab, avocado, cucumber, and tobiko.

 

As I said, everyone, including Mr. Kim, loved the sushi/sashimi/rolls.

 

The BD cake:

IMG_6727.jpg.5c12cc77713ff29876d25938926bf6ac.jpg

Chocolate cake and 7-minute frosting.  Thank you for your indulgence!

 

Last night was at home – more lovely tomatoes:

IMG_6737.jpg.df42396b3a78494267d847678fe27144.jpg

 

It was all even MORE catch as catch can than the other night.  I literally just tossed stuff out on every flat surface in the kitchen and said, “it’s ready!”.  Cheeses:

IMG_6738.jpg.e2610c751675195c2ad6791eb6b1380a.jpg

 

Crackers and chip/dip:

IMG_6739.jpg.5657f27b00a43970ddc0e967e7fa13b7.jpg

 

IMG_6740.jpg.609c167f11e41039f30132cfb1226874.jpg

(see how utterly trashy I was?)

 

Marinated cucumbers and the rest of the kinda-sorta @Shelby’s cukes:

IMG_6741.jpg.46b4d7ae303d2989b8fea8cdd84aec71.jpg

I am embarrassed.  🙄

Do NOT be embarrassed.  Everything you put out looks delicious --I'd like nothing more than garden tomatoes and cheese tonight---and it fed you guys perfectly well!  I'm glad the tzatziki could be doctored up--that was a smart idea!

 

I don't have many nice words to say about your in-laws....talk about being tone deaf!  Next time I think it's perfectly fine to bow out and do something just on your own to celebrate with the birthday person.  I about fell over--- FOUR HUNDRED DOLLARS --and that's just YOUR part.  Holy shit.  I don't know how you guys kept it together and paid that much.  BIG hugs from me.  

  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

@Ann_T – my blueberries were frozen (the fresh ones were all enormous and tasteless).  Everything I read said not to mix the frozen ones into the batter before cooking.  Do you think I should have – even with frozen ones?  Thank you!

 

@Norm Matthews – pork in any form is my favorite meat, but I especially love a good fried chop!

 

@Margaret Pilgrim – I had to Google “galantine”.  Looks and sounds lovely.

 

My recent dinners have been shameful – at least the ones that I “prepared” have.  The other one was a meal out that is a story in itself, if you care to partake of the “tea”. 

 

Monday’s dinner included tomatoes from our friends’ garden (nothing shameful here!  Just wait.):

IMG_6691.jpg.2764d4f7fe28984c6f9eb19ee3b5175b.jpg

We will be sorry when these are gone.  I used them to their best advantage:

IMG_6692.thumb.jpg.d0ea9d41a2af04166790486191613554.jpg

😁

It was really a catch as catch can meal.  I set out a bunch of leftovers, prepared a couple of things and told them to have at it.  My plate:

IMG_6693.thumb.jpg.76b37606c43cad65cdc52ba2d7d5f35f.jpg

Corn, tomato sandwich, leftover mac n cheese and pork chop from Sunday lunch and sorta-kinda @Shelby’s cucumbers:

IMG_6694.jpg.bfb6ea437bcda1233c07eb089290dee4.jpg

@Shelby's dressed cukes always look so good.  When I asked her what was in them she said, mayo, sour cream, fresh dill, cider vinegar, sugar, and S&P.  We had a huge cuke from our friends and I was planning on doing @Shelby’s when I remembered I had a big tub of so-called tzatziki from Costco in the fridge.  When we first tasted the tzatziki, I remarked that with the addition of some dill and cucumbers, it would make decent tzatziki🙄.  So, I fixed the stuff in the tub up with @Shelby’s ingredients and added the cuke.  Really good.  And it lasted a couple of days.

 

Here’s the dinner out and the story.  It’s mostly me whining and venting, so skip it if you like.  We celebrated Mr. Kim’s mother’s 80th birthday with dinner out on Tuesday at a sushi/steak place with Mr. Kim’s siblings and SOs and assorted nieces.  It is a favorite of Mr. Kim’s sister and her husband’s.  It was an extremely, and unnecessarily, expensive evening.  Jessica has been out of work for the last month and her car broke down this week and Mr. Kim is supporting two households.  He let his sister know that we were trying to economize, but it seemed to make no difference at all.  Tons of sushi ordered “for the table” and not everyone even ate it, though it was reportedly fantastic.  Neither the restaurant nor the sushi was my MIL’s choice and she and her best friend were obviously uncomfortable with the menu choices and food.  The bill was equally divided by person and even though the three of us had been careful in our ordering and didn’t have alcohol, our portion was $400😳.  That is basically our grocery budget for a month.  Here’s the food and I truly hope that I haven’t let the negative family experience color my views of the restaurant.  Some of the dishes – crab stuffed shrimp with lemon risotto and a lemon cream sauce:

IMG_6722.thumb.jpg.f4a778f53cf4d0ed7ec9351bff5607f3.jpg

This was good, but no flavor of lemon came through.

 

Brussels sprouts w/ sticky Asian sauce and spicy ranch:

IMG_6723.jpg.526187ef27cf618d46cac4e776f08e04.jpg

The flavor of this was excellent.  It was too spicy for me, though.  And the sprouts were overcooked.

 

Mushrooms:

IMG_6724.jpg.37ce70d386d7835a338e2e17ff0b9a4b.jpg

Some of which were extremely woody and tough.  They were apparently tasty. 

 

The poinsettia:

IMG_6725.jpg.a064005c0cd8c4bc77cc6c708dc26a7f.jpg

Spicy tuna, red caviar, eel sauce, sriracha, and spicy mayo. 

 

OG Cali roll:

IMG_6726.thumb.jpg.9e3f5608a5b4c43d5d70e7f0a3331298.jpg

Lump crab, avocado, cucumber, and tobiko.

 

As I said, everyone, including Mr. Kim, loved the sushi/sashimi/rolls.

 

The BD cake:

IMG_6727.jpg.5c12cc77713ff29876d25938926bf6ac.jpg

Chocolate cake and 7-minute frosting.  Thank you for your indulgence!

 

Last night was at home – more lovely tomatoes:

IMG_6737.jpg.df42396b3a78494267d847678fe27144.jpg

 

It was all even MORE catch as catch can than the other night.  I literally just tossed stuff out on every flat surface in the kitchen and said, “it’s ready!”.  Cheeses:

IMG_6738.jpg.e2610c751675195c2ad6791eb6b1380a.jpg

 

Crackers and chip/dip:

IMG_6739.jpg.5657f27b00a43970ddc0e967e7fa13b7.jpg

 

IMG_6740.jpg.609c167f11e41039f30132cfb1226874.jpg

(see how utterly trashy I was?)

 

Marinated cucumbers and the rest of the kinda-sorta @Shelby’s cukes:

IMG_6741.jpg.46b4d7ae303d2989b8fea8cdd84aec71.jpg

I am embarrassed.  🙄

Wooooowwww...the kind of family outing that ends up as a post on the AITA? subreddit. Or would, given a slightly lower level of obliviousness from the in-laws.

  • Like 4

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

 

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Tonight bacon, onion, and beans! From Jack Bishop.  Had a nice glass of 2017 hdv le debut chardonnay that worked well.

 20210812_182809.thumb.jpg.3a507a59e15e24327adacaf9e297ba93.jpg

Edited by Raamo
Formatting (log)
  • Like 9
Link to comment
Share on other sites

52 minutes ago, Raamo said:

Tonight bacon, onion, and beans! From Jack Bishop. 

That looks and sounds so easy and so good. I am sure there is a recipe for it in the Jack Bishop book but it is one of those things that hardly needs a recipe. What is not to like? Thanks. 

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

@Ann_T – my blueberries were frozen (the fresh ones were all enormous and tasteless).  Everything I read said not to mix the frozen ones into the batter before cooking.  Do you think I should have – even with frozen ones?  Thank you!

 

@Norm Matthews – pork in any form is my favorite meat, but I especially love a good fried chop!

 

@Margaret Pilgrim – I had to Google “galantine”.  Looks and sounds lovely.

 

My recent dinners have been shameful – at least the ones that I “prepared” have.  The other one was a meal out that is a story in itself, if you care to partake of the “tea”. 

 

Monday’s dinner included tomatoes from our friends’ garden (nothing shameful here!  Just wait.):

IMG_6691.jpg.2764d4f7fe28984c6f9eb19ee3b5175b.jpg

We will be sorry when these are gone.  I used them to their best advantage:

IMG_6692.thumb.jpg.d0ea9d41a2af04166790486191613554.jpg

😁

It was really a catch as catch can meal.  I set out a bunch of leftovers, prepared a couple of things and told them to have at it.  My plate:

IMG_6693.thumb.jpg.76b37606c43cad65cdc52ba2d7d5f35f.jpg

Corn, tomato sandwich, leftover mac n cheese and pork chop from Sunday lunch and sorta-kinda @Shelby’s cucumbers:

IMG_6694.jpg.bfb6ea437bcda1233c07eb089290dee4.jpg

@Shelby's dressed cukes always look so good.  When I asked her what was in them she said, mayo, sour cream, fresh dill, cider vinegar, sugar, and S&P.  We had a huge cuke from our friends and I was planning on doing @Shelby’s when I remembered I had a big tub of so-called tzatziki from Costco in the fridge.  When we first tasted the tzatziki, I remarked that with the addition of some dill and cucumbers, it would make decent tzatziki🙄.  So, I fixed the stuff in the tub up with @Shelby’s ingredients and added the cuke.  Really good.  And it lasted a couple of days.

 

Here’s the dinner out and the story.  It’s mostly me whining and venting, so skip it if you like.  We celebrated Mr. Kim’s mother’s 80th birthday with dinner out on Tuesday at a sushi/steak place with Mr. Kim’s siblings and SOs and assorted nieces.  It is a favorite of Mr. Kim’s sister and her husband’s.  It was an extremely, and unnecessarily, expensive evening.  Jessica has been out of work for the last month and her car broke down this week and Mr. Kim is supporting two households.  He let his sister know that we were trying to economize, but it seemed to make no difference at all.  Tons of sushi ordered “for the table” and not everyone even ate it, though it was reportedly fantastic.  Neither the restaurant nor the sushi was my MIL’s choice and she and her best friend were obviously uncomfortable with the menu choices and food.  The bill was equally divided by person and even though the three of us had been careful in our ordering and didn’t have alcohol, our portion was $400😳.  That is basically our grocery budget for a month.  Here’s the food and I truly hope that I haven’t let the negative family experience color my views of the restaurant.  Some of the dishes – crab stuffed shrimp with lemon risotto and a lemon cream sauce:

IMG_6722.thumb.jpg.f4a778f53cf4d0ed7ec9351bff5607f3.jpg

This was good, but no flavor of lemon came through.

 

Brussels sprouts w/ sticky Asian sauce and spicy ranch:

IMG_6723.jpg.526187ef27cf618d46cac4e776f08e04.jpg

The flavor of this was excellent.  It was too spicy for me, though.  And the sprouts were overcooked.

 

Mushrooms:

IMG_6724.jpg.37ce70d386d7835a338e2e17ff0b9a4b.jpg

Some of which were extremely woody and tough.  They were apparently tasty. 

 

The poinsettia:

IMG_6725.jpg.a064005c0cd8c4bc77cc6c708dc26a7f.jpg

Spicy tuna, red caviar, eel sauce, sriracha, and spicy mayo. 

 

OG Cali roll:

IMG_6726.thumb.jpg.9e3f5608a5b4c43d5d70e7f0a3331298.jpg

Lump crab, avocado, cucumber, and tobiko.

 

As I said, everyone, including Mr. Kim, loved the sushi/sashimi/rolls.

 

The BD cake:

IMG_6727.jpg.5c12cc77713ff29876d25938926bf6ac.jpg

Chocolate cake and 7-minute frosting.  Thank you for your indulgence!

 

Last night was at home – more lovely tomatoes:

IMG_6737.jpg.df42396b3a78494267d847678fe27144.jpg

 

It was all even MORE catch as catch can than the other night.  I literally just tossed stuff out on every flat surface in the kitchen and said, “it’s ready!”.  Cheeses:

IMG_6738.jpg.e2610c751675195c2ad6791eb6b1380a.jpg

 

Crackers and chip/dip:

IMG_6739.jpg.5657f27b00a43970ddc0e967e7fa13b7.jpg

 

IMG_6740.jpg.609c167f11e41039f30132cfb1226874.jpg

(see how utterly trashy I was?)

 

Marinated cucumbers and the rest of the kinda-sorta @Shelby’s cukes:

IMG_6741.jpg.46b4d7ae303d2989b8fea8cdd84aec71.jpg

I am embarrassed.  🙄

Thats so annoying. I'm sorry

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, liuzhou said:

 

I don't think the morels here are any different.

 

morels.thumb.jpg.3f03a5872d5c12817d8631dc44be6c1e.jpg

 

Those in my dish were dried morels which I rehydrated then sliced in half. This year's fresh supply is expected in the next week or so.

 

Are those farm grown morels?

 

dcarch

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I went on a “date” tonight without someone I had met before. 
  We had the “burger bites” which were mini burgers with arugula, goat cheese and spicy Mayo with waffle fries as a bun. Delicious! 
 

A5CCEB2E-DF08-4518-ABC7-E3B576167EA1.jpeg

  • Like 15
  • Delicious 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Tea braised tofu and eggs (braising liquid includes tea, soy sauce, brown sugar, anise, fennel seeds, coriander seeds, Sichuan peppercorns, bay, cassia cinnamon).

Mushroom stew with rice, inspired by Taiwanese braised pork rice. Includes ginger, shallots, oyster sauce, anise, rice wine, pepper.

 

 

PXL_20210612_115639827.jpg

  • Like 11

~ Shai N.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Anna N said:

That looks and sounds so easy and so good. I am sure there is a recipe for it in the Jack Bishop book but it is one of those things that hardly needs a recipe. What is not to like? Thanks. 

 

Agreed - the fact it's written down is more of as an idea generator.  I've never though of combining the 3.  He also called for parsley but I left that out.  This is what we really like about his book - lots of options for a bunch of different vegetables.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, TicTac said:

Morels are somewhat boring to begin with (my opinion - clearly), drying certainly does not help the poor shroom.  Reconstituting in hot water, saving said liquid for a risotto, broth, sauce, etc is critical (most of the flavour ends up in there) - the resulting mushroom is somewhat worse for ware.  Fresh morels are far superior.  Does not do as well as say a porcini, when dried.

 

 

I enjoy using both fresh and dried morels.  A local 3* chef has come down on the side of dried morels as generally being more flavorful.   Perhaps it depends on the quality of either that you can source.    Classically combined with vin jaune, they flatter poultry and fish as well as vegetables, especially asparagus.   

eGullet member #80.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

dinner last night at a friend's beach house.

pan seared swordfish bellies with a compound butter topping over a patty pan squash and fresh local corn sauté

with a very good meursault

IMG_5404.jpg

IMG_5402.jpg

  • Like 10
  • Delicious 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

I enjoy using both fresh and dried morels.  A local 3* chef has come down on the side of dried morels as generally being more flavorful.

 

Indeed. Good dried morels are nothing to sneeze at (and with vin jaune, just great).

 

Similar to porcini, the dried porcini from Italy are magnitudes better than those from, ummmm, not Italy.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

Here’s the dinner out and the story.  ....  Neither the restaurant nor the sushi was my MIL’s choice and she and her best friend were obviously uncomfortable with the menu choices and food.  The bill was equally divided by person and even though the three of us had been careful in our ordering and didn’t have alcohol, our portion was $400😳.  

 

 

I am sorry.    This is so wrong.    Glad it was delicious for some.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

eGullet member #80.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   1 member

×
×
  • Create New...