• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2021

liuzhou

I've been doing a lot of kabobs lately, inspired mostly by this thread! These are lamb, served with tzatziki and a big salad with lettuce, tomato, kirby cucumbers, carrots, celery, olives, mushroom, onion, red pepper, assorted seeds and sprouts (I have a weird obsession with sprouts lately!)

IMG_3223.jpg.f4ae26e39b2a825b0aa304a55dbf2259.jpg

IMG_3220.jpg.c34f690e58227e4b489d660626e3fe30.jpg

This is a sort of salmon Nicoise, again with the sprouts. 

IMG_3131.jpg.f9b17bc0045e1281525a460e3a38397f.jpg

And this last is "Melanzane Mimosa". Basically grilled eggplant with eggs and a vinaigrette made with some anchovy. 

IMG_3247.jpg.98bc7c599a7a01d9c83f0c4dee38201c.jpg

• Like 13
  • Delicious 2

It's been 38℃ / 100℉ for most of the day. Now it's 9 pm and 35℃ / 95℉. So, this made for a quick, simple but satisfying and tasty dish. Followed by a bowl of cherries and some Marvin Gaye.

Orzo with squid, shrimp. snow pea slivers, garlic, ginger, chilli and white wine.

1.thumb.jpg.63d0cb58a01a7b33381b8a90ade4008c.jpg

2.thumb.jpg.d6e996864576123707049cf4fbed1973.jpg

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 8
  • Delicious 2

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Pork chops, plain this time with just salt and pepper after grilling.  Actually quite satisfying.  Served with grilled zucchini marinated in EVOO and black currant balsamic.  Both made on the PAG.

pork-chop-ag5.jpg.14d93672f2297abb44d6d4a5c8c8d842.jpg

• Like 10
  • Delicious 1

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

26 minutes ago, mgaretz said:

Pork chops, plain this time with just salt and pepper after grilling.  Actually quite satisfying.  Served with grilled zucchini marinated in EVOO and black currant balsamic.  Both made on the PAG.

Sometimes I like tasting meat plsin rather than the marinade etc. Hhmmm black currant balsamic?

11 minutes ago, Dante said:

Miso curry (with pork, carrots, onions,daikon,and burdock) over kamut

20210617_185932.jpg

How much and in what way is it miso curry. Were curry cubes involved or?

8 hours ago, Dante said:

Miso curry (with pork, carrots, onions,daikon,and burdock) over kamut

20210617_185932.jpg

Cultivated burdock, or is it as prevalent a weed in your area as it is in mine?

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

10 hours ago, alwaysdrawing said:

Bacon wrapped filet, roasted broccoli, and a baked potato with home grown chives, sour cream, butter and cheese. Served with Smith & Hook Cabernet 

Not bad for a random Thursday night dinner. 

18474115-74B0-4A7F-945A-DF7459434861.thumb.jpeg.4abfe9e3212fc4d2000ebbfbb70fa271.jpeg

After first roasting of broccoli I have no desire for any other form.

• Like 2

Number 5 new thing to eat in the south: Brunswick Stew. I only had a few bites, but it was good. Made by the barbecue place that we all liked. I never knew that the main ingredient that makes it different is BBQ sauce in the stock, or mixed in at some point. I am guessing that Community Q simply adds scraps of their ribs or brisket and their own KC style sauce. All recipes I've come across use canned tomato and frozen veggies: frozen corn, lima beans, etc. It seems to me you could make an awfully good stew in the summer with fresh veggies and leftover BBQ meat, if you are lucky enough to have any.q

There's also a breakfast place close by called Rising Son (yes, SON) and they make the largest biscuits I've ever seen. You couldn't call the Cathead, unless you meant a jaguar or cougar. Designed for sandwiches, I think, but very good warm from the venue and very good toasted for breakfast this morning. My Son in law made a Broadbent bacon-biscuit sandwich for his dinner. 

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, Katie Meadow said:

Number 5 new thing to eat in the south: Brunswick Stew. I only had a few bites, but it was good. Made by the barbecue place that we all liked. I never knew that the main ingredient that makes it different is BBQ sauce in the stock, or mixed in at some point. I am guessing that Community Q simply adds scraps of their ribs or brisket and their own KC style sauce. All recipes I've come across use canned tomato and frozen veggies: frozen corn, lima beans, etc. It seems to me you could make an awfully good stew in the summer with fresh veggies and leftover BBQ meat, if you are lucky enough to have any.q

There's also a breakfast place close by called Rising Son (yes, SON) and they make the largest biscuits I've ever seen. You couldn't call the Cathead, unless you meant a jaguar or cougar. Designed for sandwiches, I think, but very good warm from the venue and very good toasted for breakfast this morning. My Son in law made a Broadbent bacon-biscuit sandwich for his dinner. 

@kaybmakes a mean Brunswick stew.   

11 hours ago, chromedome said:

Cultivated burdock, or is it as prevalent a weed in your area as it is in mine?

cultivated, obtained from a local food co-op

Halibut for the hell of it with roasted okra. And I took a picture of our wine before we drank to much.

Halibut roasted in a hot oven 400 convection with a little wine topped with shallot, parsley and mint with some panko and olive oil

IMG_4754.jpg

IMG_4758.jpg

IMG_4755 2.jpg

• Like 13
  • Delicious 3

23 hours ago, heidih said:

How much and in what way is it miso curry. Were curry cubes involved or?

Straight curry powder, no cubes for this (I do prefer to make my own curry roux anyway). The base is stock and miso- 6 cups stock to 1/4 cup red miso. 

• Like 2

Not homemade, but dinner out at our local Basque-ish resto, Ernesto's.

FA96D430-FFCA-4376-A730-7C7BB710A7EE.thumb.JPG.770e114da3ad024f151da6e2be691cac.JPG

Significant Eater started with a delicious cocktail...HELL IN A HAND BASQUE-ETTE La Quintinye Dry, Vermouth Routin, Ginger, Lime, Pineapple, Pimenton, while I opted to go straight for the wine bottle. A Catalan blanca called Massis de Bonastre, a blend of Macabeo, Xarel-lo and Garncha blana. Both the head bartender and the somm are quite excellent at their jobs; a cocktail like this isn't always easy to get nicely balanced; this one was perfect. 

Accompanied by croquetas, which were followed by two entradas:

FRITOS DE CALAMARES Y SEPIA - local squid and sepia from Spain, perfectly fried and served with a classic alioli. And

IMG_4350.thumb.jpeg.8db4110ca3d2250f2b2a8e2e54cbcf8f.jpeg

TRUCHA CURADA CON ENSALADILLA. Cured arctic char, over ensaladilla Rusa, topped with paddlefish roe and a drizzle of something too sweet for me. A dish I wouldn't order again, unless it was just the char and Rusa. Our platos principales followed thusly:

IMG_4354.thumb.jpeg.ef16b45278061bc79590978d2018ca6c.jpeg

Significant Eater's MACARRONES CON HONGOS, house made shells with porcini and a sauce made from Idiazabal cheese. Mmmmm. And though I really thought about a mixed grill with spareribs, butifarra and fresh chorizo served with fried potatoes, I decided to go a little healthier with...

IMG_4352.thumb.jpeg.dddd7505ff250f28cca8f0ef0fdc4394.jpeg

RAPE CON GAMBAS DE PALAMOS: monkfish, Mediterranean red shrimp and petit pois. It didn't disappoint. Dessert was a classic Basque cheesecake, which was, and is, a favorite and great. Accompanied by 2 glasses of Domaine de Souch's  JURANCON, “CUVEE JOE DRESSNER” 2010, (Petit Manseng & Gros Manseng). 

We had not been to Ernesto's since pre-pandemic. They'd opened two months prior to shutdown. What a welcome return.

Edited by weinoo (log)
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 3

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

2 hours ago, weinoo said:

MACARRONES CON HONGOS, house made shells

Wow!   Never heard or even imagined such a thing.   Do you think they were hand or machine made?   Am having trouble mentally shaping them.  Thanks for these.

eGullet member #80.

2 hours ago, weinoo said:

FA96D430-FFCA-4376-A730-7C7BB710A7EE.thumb.JPG.770e114da3ad024f151da6e2be691cac.JPG

Significant Eater started with a delicious cocktail...HELL IN A HAND BASQUE-ETTE La Quintinye Dry, Vermouth Routin, Ginger, Lime, Pineapple, Pimenton, while I opted to go straight for the wine bottle. A Catalan blanca called Massis de Bonastre, a blend of Macabeo, Xarel-lo and Garncha blana. Both the head bartender and the somm are quite excellent at their jobs; a cocktail like this isn't always easy to get nicely balanced; this one was perfect. 

Accompanied by croquetas, which were followed by two entradas:

FRITOS DE CALAMARES Y SEPIA - local squid and sepia from Spain, perfectly fried and served with a classic alioli. And

IMG_4350.thumb.jpeg.8db4110ca3d2250f2b2a8e2e54cbcf8f.jpeg

TRUCHA CURADA CON ENSALADILLA. Cured arctic char, over ensaladilla Rusa, topped with paddlefish roe and a drizzle of something too sweet for me. A dish I wouldn't order again, unless it was just the char and Rusa. Our platos principales followed thusly:

Significant Eater's MACARRONES CON HONGOS, house made shells with porcini and a sauce made from Idiazabal cheese. Mmmmm. And though I really thought about a mixed grill with spareribs, butifarra and fresh chorizo served with fried potatoes, I decided to go a little healthier with...

IMG_4352.thumb.jpeg.dddd7505ff250f28cca8f0ef0fdc4394.jpeg

RAPE CON GAMBAS DE PALAMOS: monkfish, Mediterranean red shrimp and petit pois. It didn't disappoint. Dessert was a classic Basque cheesecake, which was, and is, a favorite and great. Accompanied by 2 glasses of Domaine de Souch's  JURANCON, “CUVEE JOE DRESSNER” 2010, (Petit Manseng & Gros Manseng). 

We had not been to Ernesto's since pre-pandemic. They'd opened two months prior to shutdown. What a welcome return.

Well, that's an amazing dinner, amazing, but I would say the trout may be steel-head? [also known as ocean trout, fjord trout etc....]. From the picture I doubt it would be an arctic char, and I have fish some chars while in Norway.

Never seen chars in Spanish restaurants, even if they were introduced in some lakes around Spain decades  ago, thankfully it didn't work well :)