Jump to content
  • Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2021


liuzhou
 Share

Recommended Posts

21 hours ago, gfweb said:

@rotuts M of E is pretty popular down here. WaWa,  Rolling Rock (which nobody not in Jr High drinks) and Yeungling (which we all drink) mentions go a long way.

THANK YOU. I recently met someone who, as a middle aged adult claims Rolling Rock to be their favorite beer. I’d rather drink bud lite. RR was the first beer I ever tried so it’s shocking I actually enjoy beer. 
  I probably wouldn’t even use RR to cook with. I do love Yeungling though. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, MetsFan5 said:

THANK YOU. I recently met someone who, as a middle aged adult claims Rolling Rock to be their favorite beer. I’d rather drink bud lite. RR was the first beer I ever tried so it’s shocking I actually enjoy beer. 
  I probably wouldn’t even use RR to cook with. I do love Yeungling though. 

A major (the major?) strength of RR is that it comes in half-sized "pony cans" which stay cold just long enough for a half inning in the outfield.

Never leave the bench without one.

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

@MetsFan5 

 

"" a middle aged adult claims Rolling Rock to be their favorite beer. ""

 

as eG is what eG is

 

hope not to change :

 

for me , just me ,   "" their favorite ""

 

cheers
 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

@gfweb 

 

why even go to any inning ?

 

OK   

 

its the smell of the pop-corn

 

the announcer , so Hyped !

 

etc 

 

but ideas are churning.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, rotuts said:

@gfweb 

 

why even go to any inning ?

 

OK   

 

its the smell of the pop-corn

 

the announcer , so Hyped !

 

etc 

 

but ideas are churning.

 

LOL

 

I was talking about me in the OF (or  2nd base) in a softball league.

 

Not any time recently (unfortunately)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

A last minute celebration was called for, so dug out my old Emergency (same day) pizza recipe (from pre-baker's percent). My current dough uses 572 grams flour (mix of semolina and bread flour) for TWO dough balls. The old recipe on which it was based used 421 grams flour for ONE dough ball.

 

The dough was soft and pillowy. Brushed with olive oil, granulated garlic, shredded Fontina, sliced/shaved garlic scapes, pineapple (slightly dehydrated in APO), red bell pepper, chopped basil, Mozzarella, Parmesan. Chopped jalapeno on the side.

 

I cooked it longer because the dough wasn't darkening, which made the crusts quite dry. As you see from crumb, the centre didn't get sufficiently cooked.

 

Thought it was going to be great. It wasn't. My friends, however, have called for one of my regular pizzas very soon, so they can compare. 🤣 🤣

 

IMG_3226cropped.thumb.jpg.5c0deb3cab53f52cb71efb37dafc6055.jpgIMG_3225cropped.thumb.jpg.2e30b6e0fe0b01dd22810ae4f188a080.jpg

Edited by TdeV
Missing ingredients (log)
  • Like 15
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Moe loves scallops. I've never been a fan.
Walcan Seafood, the company that I have been buying all the fish and prawns from  that I have
been cooking recently, had Hokkaido Scallops available. I ordered just one box along with some LingCod and Black Cod (Sable fish) and it was delivered first thing this morning. These scallops are sashimi grade.
I took 8 out of the box to defrost for dinner. Found a recipe for Lemon Butter Capellini with Scallops on line that sounded good so that is what I made. I used spaghettini rather than capellini.
1193715973_HokkaaidoScallopswithSpaghettiniJune1st2021.thumb.jpg.e82670feb39c3991b5971f2fdde8fb8f.jpg
Moe loved dinner. Said they were the best scallops he has eaten. So, I ordered four more boxes.
Will be nice to have them in the freezer for a quick dinner. I've promised to make him Coquilles St. Jacques one of these days.
  • Like 17
  • Delicious 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, chefmd said:

Polenta, chanterelles, U8 scallop.  

4181CDD9-27B1-403F-899A-1BFC8EFFBD64.thumb.jpeg.07c390ee3144b73c09bec37cbcf03fe6.jpeg

Beautiful scallop. Not a polenta person but it sounds like a good taste combo. Your dark chanterelles intrigue me. How prepped? 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

I've been jonesing for ravioli (for some reason), and since I don't really make fresh pasta (for some reason), my trip to Formaggio Essex yesterday was quite successful, as they started carrying a very good product...

 

IMG_4255.thumb.jpeg.9d412a87ff88938bbd0e058cf758f428.jpeg

 

Wild mushroom and ricotta ravioli, with a butter/olive oil/parmesan cream sauce.  A side of sautéed corn off the cob, which was quite sweet.

 

The ravioli is made by an NYC institution; for well over 100 years, Raffetto's has been selling pasta, in all it's iterations, on W. Houston St. in Greenwich Village. And it's good. And at well under $10 for 48 pieces, the price can't be beat. Next up - classic meat or cheese in red sauce.

 

 

Edited by weinoo (log)
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Inspired by a suggestion from @liuzhou - I expanded slightly on it....

 

851381D2-7E4B-4321-965D-D2A9D307BA34.thumb.jpeg.33780414ce770211be4d615549e9ba51.jpeg

 

Not much to look at (besides a bit of yolk porn) but....certainly tasty!  Hash browns, with Lions mane mushroom steaks and a fried egg.  Little chicken jus and fresh picked spinach. 

  • Like 6
  • Delicious 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's been a very rainy and chilly few days.  I don't mind a bit!  Glad I wasn't at a lake, though.  The garden is extremely muddy so I can't get in there and weed...hopefully they don't overtake.  Still getting gorgeous radishes and asparagus.

 

thumbnail_IMG_0897.jpg.a711d5143836d0ff4bfbe5c5b3348e62.jpg

 

Lots of comfort type food going on.

 

Venison stroganoff and beans I put up last summer

 

thumbnail_IMG_0867.jpg.3711a862afc84368d33c7fd431f8abc3.jpg

 

Dill and lemon roasted chicken with potatoes and parsnips

 

thumbnail_IMG_0870.jpg.3024368f1534d7152679ab4f8734d32b.jpg

 

A little break in the rain let Ronnie grill us some gorgeous beef steaks --a splurge for the weekend and to celebrate my dental woes being hopefully over!

 

thumbnail_IMG_0890.jpg.d274d27bca85bc1f316277a0e3db338a.jpg

 

Venison spaghetti red with a bunch of toppings

 

Shishito and avocado

 

thumbnail_IMG_0891.jpg.e26a788c9689c374d288076371d88149.jpg

 

thumbnail_IMG_0892.jpg.75587ced2bdaa60cb927709be282463e.jpg

 

thumbnail_IMG_0893.jpg.ee639207f591144c4c038f113493ec32.jpg

 

thumbnail_IMG_0894.jpg.4df12f3646ff0589842a6b560ed54858.jpg

 

The most wonderful strawberry crisp I've ever had made with the berries from my friend.

 

thumbnail_IMG_0895.jpg.895878fe187073776261d56ebbe3a2b6.jpg

 

Sous vide then fried chicken.  Missed the picture of the usual mashed potatoes and gravy to go with.

 

thumbnail_IMG_0898.jpg.cc35e62855508da1414f0440261ede5c.jpg

 

thumbnail_IMG_0899.jpg.4b591308adfac8443988d4cad1c29714.jpg

 

Last night asparagus pasta salad and turkey sandwiches

 

thumbnail_IMG_0900.jpg.5340460f5ba23c75f3d9609c32301759.jpg

 

thumbnail_IMG_0902.jpg.82260193eae428991ababfc8127a2ddb.jpg

 

  • Like 18
  • Delicious 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Boring

Another Pizza run--This is La Pinsa Flour ( wheat germ )/  cant remember the whole set up %  72 H2O

  i think - 3 day fridge ferment/ 1hr out and on the pan--cooked on weber @600F--Par baked first too

 

51212582932_97033acd61_z.jpg

 

Morel Pie-Saute'd morels in a red wine/ asparagus/rigotta/topped with Asiago...i wanted to add confit garlic but forgot

 

51213551658_5f714f02d6_z.jpg

 

51214415350_f8d84c36c4_z.jpg

 

51213375571_20d1311e5a_z.jpg

 

 

 

 

 

Edited by Paul Bacino (log)
  • Like 13
  • Delicious 3

Its good to have Morels

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Shelby said:

It's been a very rainy and chilly few days.  I don't mind a bit!  Glad I wasn't at a lake, though.  The garden is extremely muddy so I can't get in there and weed...hopefully they don't overtake.  Still getting gorgeous radishes and asparagus.

 

thumbnail_IMG_0897.jpg.a711d5143836d0ff4bfbe5c5b3348e62.jpg

 

Lots of comfort type food going on.

 

Venison stroganoff and beans I put up last summer

 

thumbnail_IMG_0867.jpg.3711a862afc84368d33c7fd431f8abc3.jpg

 

Dill and lemon roasted chicken with potatoes and parsnips

 

thumbnail_IMG_0870.jpg.3024368f1534d7152679ab4f8734d32b.jpg

 

A little break in the rain let Ronnie grill us some gorgeous beef steaks --a splurge for the weekend and to celebrate my dental woes being hopefully over!

 

thumbnail_IMG_0890.jpg.d274d27bca85bc1f316277a0e3db338a.jpg

 

Venison spaghetti red with a bunch of toppings

 

Shishito and avocado

 

thumbnail_IMG_0891.jpg.e26a788c9689c374d288076371d88149.jpg

 

thumbnail_IMG_0892.jpg.75587ced2bdaa60cb927709be282463e.jpg

 

thumbnail_IMG_0893.jpg.ee639207f591144c4c038f113493ec32.jpg

 

thumbnail_IMG_0894.jpg.4df12f3646ff0589842a6b560ed54858.jpg

 

The most wonderful strawberry crisp I've ever had made with the berries from my friend.

 

thumbnail_IMG_0895.jpg.895878fe187073776261d56ebbe3a2b6.jpg

 

Sous vide then fried chicken.  Missed the picture of the usual mashed potatoes and gravy to go with.

 

thumbnail_IMG_0898.jpg.cc35e62855508da1414f0440261ede5c.jpg

 

thumbnail_IMG_0899.jpg.4b591308adfac8443988d4cad1c29714.jpg

 

Last night asparagus pasta salad and turkey sandwiches

 

thumbnail_IMG_0900.jpg.5340460f5ba23c75f3d9609c32301759.jpg

 

thumbnail_IMG_0902.jpg.82260193eae428991ababfc8127a2ddb.jpg

 

 

Beautiful pictures of beautiful food.

 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Pork chop, BBQ-style with grilled squash and carrots, all done on the PAG.  Corn, microwaved in the husk.  I expected to be disappointed by the corn since "early season" corn is usually never any good, but it was actually quite good and sweet.

 

pork-chop-ag3.jpg.6bbad12951303c64e7ae7e6663002f70.jpg

 

  • Like 14
  • Delicious 1

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My T shirt site: Guy Bling

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Paul Bacino said:

Boring

Another Pizza run--This is La Pinsa Flour ( wheat germ )/  cant remember the whole set up %  72 H2O

  i think - 3 day fridge ferment/ 1hr out and on the pan--cooked on weber @600F--Par baked first too

 

51212582932_97033acd61_z.jpg

 

Morel Pie-Saute'd morels in a red wine/ asparagus/rigotta/topped with Asiago...i wanted to add confit garlic but forgot

 

51213551658_5f714f02d6_z.jpg

 

51214415350_f8d84c36c4_z.jpg

 

51213375571_20d1311e5a_z.jpg

 

 

 

 

 

Boring!  No way!  Anything with morels is never boring :)

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, Dante said:

Solyanka

Okay oh, I had to ask Mister Google but they said that this is an 'everything but the kitchen sink' type Russian soup. Yours looks delicious. Would you mind telling me what is in it?

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've been dying to make this dish at home but couldn't because of a lack of a primary ingredient - the grachai (aka krachai, finger root or sometimes labeled 'rhizome'). Over the long weekend we made it down to Chinatown and my favorite store, Asia Market which specializes in all things SE Asian (Sorry Bangkok Center Grocery who was out of stock). They had both the jarred version 'in brine' and also frozen which I had gotten previously. I had heard from online sources that the brined was just as good as fresh (which I've never seen) - but tonight I will say that while it's ok, I think the frozen one is a lot more pungent. I didn't get it this time because I didn't bring any ice paks with me...

 

20210602_194440_HDR.thumb.jpg.85b9ac24caec52ae022335adf1c326b8.jpg

Pad cha goong featuring kaffir lime leaves and Thai basil from my garden

  • Like 12
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/31/2021 at 6:54 AM, BonVivant said:

2 small cuttlefish and pasta with their ink. Lots of it.

n3mSthd.jpg

 

Sicilian

 

 

I have been banned from ever cooking with squid ink again after pretty much the whole kitchen ended up stained black after I used too much when I tried. Looks good though.

  • Haha 7

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, KennethT said:

They had both the jarred version 'in brine' and also frozen which I had gotten previously.

 

Interesting. I most commonly see it dried here. It isn't great. I did bring back a bunch of fresh, young krachai from Cambodia a few years back. That was wonderful

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

 

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...