• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2021

liuzhou

9 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

@liamsaunt – Your fish and chips are gorgeous!  Would you please share your recipe for the batter for your fish? 

1 cup flour

1 cup cornstarch

1.5 tsp. salt

1 tsp. baking powder

12 ounces beer

Let rest in fridge for 20 minutes before using it.

Last night, chicken parmesean.  My nephew is heading back to campus on Monday after doing last semester remote, so this week I am making all of his favorite dishes.

1362198075_chickenparmesean.thumb.jpg.e9f01060e5b88ffdbfdc3298cd6a1aee.jpg

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 3

Cumin seasoned strips of beef tenderloin, stir-fried with bell peppers and onion chunks.

665246776_CuminBeefVeg2996.jpg.10eab0b70c5931b1639fd949f50d7dc8.jpg

Lightened-up sesame chicken. The strips were just marinated with sesame oil then dusted with cornstarch and pan-fried. My old recipe had chicken strips mixed with flour, cornstarch, egg, then coated with bread crumbs before deep frying. They were SO much better! Used the same simple sauce I used in the restaurant: water, vinegar, 5-spice powder, sesame oil , and red pepper flakes.
                                                                                    110701856_SesameChicken3009.jpg.c22c37cf109dc842d040858afc8d7b93.jpg

Hubby's birthday was on the 11th. He asked for lamb chops

1359411137_LambChopsbday2999.jpg.a5c823a172485e5e07a09ec1832d5b65.jpg

Rosemary and whole grain Dijon mustard marinated pork sirloin chops - roasted in the oven. Steamed cauliflower and broccoli broiled with cheese and panko crumbs

1681970585_RosemaryPorkChops3019.jpg.71df768d137a0c35f2d58fa24325a85d.jpg           

• Like 16
  • Delicious 1

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

1 hour ago, Objective Foodie said:

The recipe for the buns is a hybrid of brioche and Japanese milk bread which we adapted from Joshua Weissman.

Yes, I do like that recipe as well - super-soft, yet sturdy bun and very consistent results ...

• Like 1

I really have been cooking lately....but nothing has been worthy of a photograph. Pasta in a meat sauce one night this week, ham and potatoes another, last night was stew beef just floured, browned and simmered in Guinness until tender, then served over mashed potatoes with green peas on the side.

Been prepping for dinners for the weekend when Child B and crew come down for belated Christmas. Tomorrow night is snacky stuff, meatballs, a smoked turkey breast (brining now, will smoke tomorrow around noon), cheeses, pickles, olives, fruit bowl, etc.  Saturday night is carne adovado, using the Serious Eats recipe, likely with rice and beans and guacamole. Sunday is ... something. Maybe roast beef; I have a nice rump roast in the freezer. 

Got to think about breakfasts, too. Breakfast casserole one day; waffles one day; will probably get by with muffins and a quiche. Lunch is fend for yourself; I will make ham salad, and probably tuna salad, and there'll be turkey in the fridge. Going to bake a loaf of KA harvest wheat bread and a loaf of GF sandwich bread tomorrow.

Mostly, I'm just looking forward to seeing the kids.

• Like 12

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

46 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

Liuzhou Fried Rice (using stuff up prior to the house move next week).

So, given that I have only had one cup of coffee so far, I have to say that the thing that struck me most about your meal was the spoon. It makes much more sense as an eating implement for fried rice than chopsticks. Still I found it jarring which probably says much more about me than it does about Chinese eating habits. 

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

2 minutes ago, Anna N said:

I have to say that the thing that struck me most about your meal was the spoon. It makes much more sense as an eating implement for fried rice than chopsticks. Still I found it jarring which probably says much more about me than it does about Chinese eating habits. 

This was the first thing I covered in the China Food Myths topic'.

https://forums.egullet.org/topic/161694-china-food-myths/?tab=comments#comment-2272416

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

8 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

This was the first thing I covered in the China Food Myths topic'.

https://forums.egullet.org/topic/161694-china-food-myths/?tab=comments#comment-2272416

Since I normally hang on your every word I repeat my excuse of caffeine deprivation. Seriously, I’m not sure how I missed this or whether it went in one ear (eye?) and out the other!

• Haha 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Okra in peanut and toasted chilies sauce, with toasted coriander seeds, green chili, onion, garlic, tomato, a few more spices.

Pan fried tempeh in creamy sunflower seed sauce with toasted fennel and cumin seeds, black pepper, chili and a few more spices.

Lightly spiced rice.

Sambal Tomat Kecap - fresh tomato, onion, chili, soy sauce, lime, some sugar.

PXL_20201218_133451599.thumb.jpg.f4a0b037601d713dc1ebfd10b13475d5.jpg

• Like 9
  • Delicious 1

~ Shai N.

1 hour ago, heidih said:

Nice. I can't tell is the coconut in c-milk marinade or shreds on surface or?

it is C as in Coconut milk- FULL FAT and is in the marinade. the chicken gets removed and grilled and the leftover marinade is boiled and reduced stovetop and served with the dish

• Like 1

On ‎1‎/‎6‎/‎2021 at 10:51 AM, David Ross said:

This morning I woke up to another cold, dark, wet day and thought, "what would be a good recipe to make this week?"  Then I remembered my duck confit.  I can find frozen duck hindquarters at one of the local supermarkets, but the Asian market sells them fresh and for a fraction of the price of supermarket duck.  Served with a preserved lemon and orange salad.  I make my own preserved lemons so I'll search for and post that recipe. 

Crispy Duck Confit Skin.JPG

For the Duck Confit-

4 duck hindquarters

1/4 cup. Kosher salt

1 tbsp. juniper berries, crushed

3 sprigs fresh rosemary

3 sprigs fresh thyme

6 garlic cloves, crushed

2 bay leaves

1 tsp. black pepper

For the Preserved Lemon, Mandarin and Red Onion Salad-

2 tsp. thinly sliced preserved lemon peel

1 tbsp. orange juice

1 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil

1 orange, peeled and cut in segments substitute canned mandarin orange segments

1/2 cup thinly sliced red onion

2 cups mixed baby salad greens

black pepper to taste

Step One, Salting and Curing the Duck-

Place the duck hindquarters in a glass casserole dish. Sprinkle the duck on both sides with the Kosher salt. Place the rosemary, thyme, garlic cloves and bay leaves under and on top of the duck. Sprinkle the juniper berries on top of the duck.

Cover the dish and place it in the fridge. Let the duck sit in the cure in the fridge for 2-3 days before cooking.

Step Two, Slow-Cooking the Duck Confit-

Heat the oven to 200. Remove the duck from the fridge and brush off the spices and extra salt. Heat the dutch oven over medium heat on the stovetop and melt the fat. Place the duck in the fat in the dutch oven. The fat should completely cover the duck. Cover the pot and place the duck in the oven and let it cook low and slow for 4 hours.

Remove the duck from the oven. Let it cool, then place the duck and fat in the dutch oven, covered, in the fridge for to cure for 3 weeks before serving. This step is important for the duck to reach maximum flavor.

Heating the Duck Confit and Making the Salad-

Heat the oven to broil. Bring the dutch oven out of the fridge. Place it over medium heat on the stovetop to melt the fat. When the fat is melted, gently remove the duck and place it on the cookie rack over a baking sheet. Broil the duck in the oven until the skin is golden and crisp, 5-6 minutes.

In a bowl add the preserved lemon, orange juice, and olive oil and whisk to combine. Add the orange segments, sliced red onions, and mixed baby greens and toss with the dressing. Season with black pepper.

Place one of the crispy duck confit on a serving plate. Serve some of the salad next to the duck. Serve with a crusty French baguette.

I love making my own confit.   I found one way, I put chopsticks on the bottom of the dish, but the legs on it, then cover it with fat.  After it is done, there is usually a little of aspic like jell from the leg that is absolutely the best tasting thing in the world.  

• Like 2

Ronnie's birthday was yesterday so this whole week he's been picking the meals that he wants.  Last night was steaks on the grill and baked potatoes with broccoli cheese sauce.

thumbnail_IMG_0395.jpg.1c06edd968c51a01de05eb2ea6336b03.jpg

He asked for a chocolate sheet cake with some of the pecans that were gifted to us for his birthday cake.

thumbnail_IMG_0394.jpg.428c7bd20073f51b3a80aaaa5390ac60.jpg

• Like 16
  • Delicious 4

53 minutes ago, Owtahear said:

I love making my own confit.   I found one way, I put chopsticks on the bottom of the dish, but the legs on it, then cover it with fat.  After it is done, there is usually a little of aspic like jell from the leg that is absolutely the best tasting thing in the world.  

Wow thanks that's a great tip.

@Shelby – lasagna!!!  I have seriously been craving it for over a year.  Am I lazy, or what? 

@liamsaunt – thank you for the batter recipe.  I’ll be making that soon.  Your chicken parm looks fantastic.  Between your pasta and @Shelby’s I’m really in the mood for Italian. 

Last night we picked up dinner at Mezeh, a Mid-Atlantic (mostly VA and MD) chain of Mediterranean restaurants.  Mr. Kim had a free bowl from Yelp:

IMG_4761.jpg.67de080bc90987a6f09dffa9b4308579.jpg

Arugula, brown basmati rice, chicken shawarma, cilantro hummus, Lebanese tabbouli, crumbled feta and tzatziki.  The flavor of this was very good.  I didn’t care for how tiny the chicken was chopped – I missed the feel of having an actual piece of chicken.  Mr. Kim liked it a lot.  It came with some fairly ordinary pita.

I got a falafel wrap:

IMG_4762.jpg.9d12ae1a0557927ac664d2edf66125be.jpg

Mixed greens, falafel, crumbled feta, and tzatziki.  This was excellent.  We will definitely go back sometime.  What we had was very, very good.  They have an odd practice that may send us to another favorite Mediterranean grill more often than this place.  They have this long list of delicious sounding toppings and sauces: Turkish salad, different kinds of hummus and salads, yogurt sauces, tahini, etc.  But they don’t sell any of these ala carte – as dips or side dishes.  Mr. Kim asked and she said no.  That’s really too bad – the other place sells everything both ala carte and as combinations. 

• Like 14
  • Delicious 2

679062136_Caviarcrepeschoipschivescreme.thumb.jpeg.f76546dafc4d2d65999cc6044ca18d94.jpeg

Caviar, crêpes, chips, chives, crème fraîche. Never too early to celebrate.

1510288603_HerveVillemadeBulleBlanche01-15.thumb.jpeg.09d97443d7a4907c1e3873a7f9c42d1b.jpeg

With a little pét nat from the Loire.

Lazy last night...

1039030208_Chickenlazymandinner01-16.thumb.jpeg.83178252b73bc1338465a365fed7104d.jpeg

Wings on a pan, with assorted potatoes. Duck fat roasted. Butter braised cucumbers and celery alongside. Portuguese red to drink.

• Like 14
  • Delicious 4

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?