• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2021

liuzhou

6 hours ago, liamsaunt said:

Niece picked dinner again last night.  Coconut vegetable curry with rice and naan.  

1540638072_coconutvegetablecurry.thumb.jpg.c6c56b8e204a73d4a1146d2023348dc9.jpg

I think your neice and I would get along famously! Sadly, one of the very few things my husband won't eat is any kind of curry. That and cilantro and peanut sauce (apparently tastes like someone spilled soy sauce in a jar of peanut butter) are about it as far as it goes for blacklisted food for him. Yes, I have explained to him that there are many flavours of curry but he has a mental block about it.  Curry is always my "home alone" dinner and yours looks fabulous.

Edited by MaryIsobel (log)
  • Like 2

I brought back some wild rice the last time I was in Minnesota.  I cooked it for an hour in the IP and then added some Uncle Ben's.  Served with chicken picatta and steamed broccoli. 20211223_181030.thumb.jpg.3ba7acc507c4e255b538b563827f71f9.jpg

• Like 9
  • Delicious 2

That's the thing about opposum inerds, they's just as tasty the next day.

8 minutes ago, chileheadmike said:

I brought back some wild rice the last time I was in Minnesota.  I cooked it for an hour in the IP and then added some Uncle Ben's.  Served with chicken picatta and steamed broccoli. 20211223_181030.thumb.jpg.3ba7acc507c4e255b538b563827f71f9.jpg

That is really interesting on the rice. Uncle Ben's (the converted rice) popped into my head the other day as a maligned but old timey ingredient for a pilaf - how I grew up with it. Almost more like orzo - and it mimics the wild rice. So lucky you are to have some of the wild grass stuff from Minnesota.

• Like 4

It's rare that I get to watch a cooking show lately, but I came across Sarah Moulton just a few days ago. She had a chef from New Orleans on, I can't remember her name, and they were making jambalaya using Uncle Ben's. I got the idea from there. I haven't used it in years. I can't complain about the result.  Of course now, it's Ben's Original and no old black guy on the box. 

My daughter lives in Minneapolis. I brought back six pounds of wild rice the last time I was there. 

• Like 3

That's the thing about opposum inerds, they's just as tasty the next day.

17 hours ago, MaryIsobel said:

I think your neice and I would get along famously! Sadly, one of the very few things my husband won't eat is any kind of curry. That and cilantro and peanut sauce (apparently tastes like someone spilled soy sauce in a jar of peanut butter) are about it as far as it goes for blacklisted food for him. Yes, I have explained to him that there are many flavours of curry but he has a mental block about it.  Curry is always my "home alone" dinner and yours looks fabulous.

Thank you!  It was very tasty.  I can count the things my husband does not like to eat on one hand, and one of them is peanut sauce.  So our husbands have that in common!

Last night, another niece requested meal: the roasted sweet potato risotto with crispy kale and bacon that I had to put off earlier in the week because she was feeling ill from her Covid booster.  It was worth waiting to make it later because she really enjoyed it.

sprosotto.thumb.jpg.d40fc8441cf5bad66945aa3a9f5094ae.jpg

• Like 6
  • Delicious 2

There are going to be seven fish in various guises tonight - at a friend's apartment.

That's why, last night for dinner...

IMG_5839.thumb.jpeg.fc3a483d8268f93fc96eae6f45760ca2.jpeg

Sausage from Ends Meat sounded like a good idea. So - caserecci with hot and sweet Italian sausage, broccoli raab, and Parmigiano-Reggiano.

To start, just some crudité and olives.

• Like 14
  • Delicious 2

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

1 hour ago, weinoo said:

Sausage from Ends Meat sounded like a good idea. So - caserecci with hot and sweet Italian sausage, broccoli raab, and Parmigiano-Reggiano.

Learn something new every day. Never heard of EndsMeat. So Jealous of the 7Fishes. Especially the part about 'friends hosting'. I'm usually the one hosting. We are in limbo about visits/visiting. 7 days, many fishes. Starting tonight. Oysters and lobster coming next Tuesday, so any given day if we have a few friends over, I can pull together a good casual 'fishes' meal. All vaxed and boostered and we all have rapid tests if needed. I have mini cod cake apps in the freezer, (made last week), and a pound of Luke's lobster meat in the freezer. Salmon smokes beauty from frozen with merguez lamb sausage....smoked oyster app. I ordered another 2 pounds of the beautiful wild gulf shrimp in the shell. 

We have all been off work the past week and agreed to order delivery and keep away from crowded groceries so I see no problem. 

We could use a few hugs. 

Mother is in the hospital and pop is miserable. 92 and 93. She collapsed yesterday. Hopefully just dehydrated. Phone fingers are numb from family sibling phone calls. Idaho, OrlandoFLA, Alaska, Portland, Delaware...

Similar last night...meat needs.

ButcherBox beef shanks. After post-Thanksgiving miso brothy seafood soups for days. Very light raw veg salads and noodle bowls...

Hello beef. 

Braised Beef Shanks

Marrow bones after 2.5 hours eaten over the sink with tiny spoons. 

Last half hour veg added to the pot. 

I bitched like a toddler during lock-down getting beef cuts un-familar from a local farm share---bavette, Denver, shaved, oy. Welcome it now with a bit of research. 

BRAISED BEEF SHANK 12-21.png

• Like 11
  • Delicious 2

2 hours ago, Annie_H said:

Learn something new every day. Never heard of EndsMeat. So Jealous of the 7Fishes. Especially the part about 'friends hosting'. I'm usually the one hosting. We are in limbo about visits/visiting. 7 days, many fishes. Starting tonight. Oysters and lobster coming next Tuesday, so any given day if we have a few friends over, I can pull together a good casual 'fishes' meal. All vaxed and boostered and we all have rapid tests if needed. I have mini cod cake apps in the freezer, (made last week), and a pound of Luke's lobster meat in the freezer. Salmon smokes beauty from frozen with merguez lamb sausage....smoked oyster app. I ordered another 2 pounds of the beautiful wild gulf shrimp in the shell. 

We have all been off work the past week and agreed to order delivery and keep away from crowded groceries so I see no problem. 

We could use a few hugs. 

Mother is in the hospital and pop is miserable. 92 and 93. She collapsed yesterday. Hopefully just dehydrated. Phone fingers are numb from family sibling phone calls. Idaho, OrlandoFLA, Alaska, Portland, Delaware...

Similar last night...meat needs.

ButcherBox beef shanks. After post-Thanksgiving miso brothy seafood soups for days. Very light raw veg salads and noodle bowls...

Hello beef. 

Braised Beef Shanks

Marrow bones after 2.5 hours eaten over the sink with tiny spoons. 

Last half hour veg added to the pot. 

I bitched like a toddler during lock-down getting beef cuts un-familar from a local farm share---bavette, Denver, shaved, oy. Welcome it now with a bit of research. 

Love bone marrow and bavette is a great cut!  Destroys flank.

Enjoy your family time.  Caution is critical, but so are hugs.

• Like 1

Last night's rice and stir fried cabbage...

Dinner12242021.jpg

I apologize I didn't spend more effort on the composition.  I'd suffered a migraine at work and mainly just wanted to eat something.

• Like 12
  • Sad 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

1 hour ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Last night's rice and stir fried cabbage...

Dinner12242021.jpg

I apologize I didn't spend more effort on the composition.  I'd suffered a migraine at work and mainly just wanted to eat something.

Thanks, I credit Zojiroshi for the rice.

• Like 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Remember the old song, "When they've all gone home..."?     It actually was a lovely afternoon and evening.    Son and three kids made the croquembouche.  Other years' may have been more perfect but this one was somehow less stressful.   Practice, or kids growing up.

1809805391_ScreenShot2021-12-24at7_44_31PM.png.21edff7be31ac00e024ce5ebdf5cd8e7.png

Oohs and aahs and pleases and thank yous and excuse mes.    Never thought we'd get here en masse.

Standing roast, Yorkshire, roast carrots, plain baked yams, rolls.   Lots of butter met its god.   

Tomorrow they return after lunch to make a Baked Alaska.     I'm not cooking another dinner.    Maybe spaghettii.

Merry Christmas everyone.  

Edited by Margaret Pilgrim (log)
  • Like 16
  • Delicious 1

eGullet member #80.

Fisherman's chowder/stew. LongIsland stripped bass I call SeaBass. Gulf shrimp, Alaskan salmon. 

*for the food critics, the garnish is a dried red pepper slivered thin DH purchased from HMart. Happy to get rid of it in the pantry. Not much flavor but meh, cute. 🙄

Prosciutto bacon for a salty kick

FISHERMAN'S STEW 12-21.png

Edited by Annie_H (log)
  • Like 14
  • Delicious 3

Christmas lunch. 

20211225_132426.thumb.jpg.a053b6d43d5d7ac30ceddc06b9e9f3ac.jpg

Clockwise from top left: Quick fried prawns. Not traditional big tiger prawns but not as messy. Cocktail sauce. Leftover puy lentil salad. Cheap sangria from Aldi (guilty pleasure). Steamed asparagus with blood orange balsamic. Brie, Havarti, smoked salmon. Quince paste, fig bisquits, ham. Fancy pants terrine from the expensive deli in town, garlic fennel salami, bresaola. Micro-greens, home-made red cabbage sauerkraut, stuffed little pepper things, artichoke hearts, Sicilian green olives, cherry tomatoes, kalamata, sun-dried tomato and feta.

The terrine was the stand-out.

It was enough for two. 

Happy holidays, may you eat yourselves into an altered state of consciousness.

• Like 12
  • Delicious 1

It's almost never bad to feed someone.