• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2021

liuzhou

On 12/17/2021 at 9:30 AM, Annie_H said:

I quoted from your qouting of Weinoo's rösti. 

Wild Mushroom and Leek Risotto based on a Marcella recipe

IMG_2049.jpeg

Risotto looks great.  But raw green onions on top....not sure what the Italian version of this would be, but OY VEY!!! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TicTac said:

Risotto looks great.  But raw green onions on top....not sure what the Italian version of this would be, but OY VEY!!! 

This speaks volumes...from a response to Alex French Guy after making a passionate Cacio e Pepe..

Eckbert

2 years ago

I love traditional italian recipes and like to cook them. But my uncle once said to me:"Devi cuccinare così come ti piace, altrimenti non hai capito il senso del mangiare." Meaning:”You have to cook the way you like it. Otherwise you haven't understood the meaning of eating."

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Annie_H said:

This speaks volumes...from a response to Alex French Guy after making a passionate Cacio e Pepe..

Eckbert

2 years ago

I love traditional italian recipes and like to cook them. But my uncle once said to me:"Devi cuccinare così come ti piace, altrimenti non hai capito il senso del mangiare." Meaning:”You have to cook the way you like it. Otherwise you haven't understood the meaning of eating."

As long as you like it - I agree that is all that matters.  My comment came as I tasted the mushroom/leek mushroom risotto itself in my minds....mouth; and the delicate flavours, to meat least, would be overshadowed by the raw green onion.  I have noted that you do seem to enjoy it topping your dishes, so as long as it tasted good to you! :)

Buon appetito!

Last week the supermarket apparently thawed some pre-cooked Western Australian lobster too soon. Between that and the Chinese import restrictions, I picked this one up for $24. I found it good but very rich so ate all but the tail with a little blood orange balsamic, then had the tail in a salad the next day.

Apologies for starting the dismemberment before I snapped a photo.

image.thumb.png.96ae634cea37da96f9ccc488ad08d70e.png

• Like 10
  • Delicious 1

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

Riff on beef Bourguignon with short ribs - no bacon (sorry Julia) subbed a reduced smoked turkey stock instead.

before

1AAD9314-A6D3-461B-B4FA-86F11A3D5609.thumb.jpeg.8934e70f84bea01aef5b3591b4da030a.jpeg

after99927003-689B-49D3-8525-447E9E996B0E.thumb.jpeg.3d162715e5cbf6ecb419d94750bdac51.jpeg

topped with fried wild mushrooms and served with Robuchon mashed taters and baguette crisps.

982CE2A3-D535-4185-8653-5BBF2A33B8B8.thumb.jpeg.137ccb6c297621874832f4ad92093ff2.jpeg

Only fail was that I did not skim enough fat off.

regional wine to accompany - Hulk didn’t get any

8F7B2B10-3956-42C4-939D-F4B9C4B17224.thumb.jpeg.d3076bfab0c64fdda786de29fdbb60c2.jpeg

• Like 14
  • Delicious 2

4 hours ago, Robenco15 said:

Duck dinner with friends last night. Sweet potato puree, garlic green beans, ganache sauce made with 70% dark chocolate

AEBE4BF7-300B-4DD3-97D5-927FA27DD3B8.jpeg

F9837FDC-BFE1-4206-92D8-1D69A990C2CF.jpeg

Looks good!  Not sure if you did it intentionally, but the photographic arrangement almost makes it looks like the sauce from the top plate is dripping onto the bottom one!  I like.

• Like 1

On 12/12/2021 at 8:36 PM, KennethT said:

That looks fantastic!

Thanks Kenneth. One of those early-in-the-pandemic pastes I made a ton of and now I have stuff in the freezer that needs to be used. Lost very little of its fragrance and depth. 

Recipe from eatingthaifood dot com.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, TicTac said:

Looks good!  Not sure if you did it intentionally, but the photographic arrangement almost makes it looks like the sauce from the top plate is dripping onto the bottom one!  I like.

I happen to have all these ingredients on my list of freezer items to use, I will be making this soon.  Thanks for the idea although I might add some slivered almonds to the green beans.

Pizza tonight.  Sadly my pie stuck to the peel.  With all that that entails.  However the bits I salvaged from the oven were quite tasty.

Dessert is Modernist gelato, which makes up for a multitude of sins.

• Like 7

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Pan fried spiced up* pork steak with morels and button mushrooms, coriander leaf/cilantro and green onion. Chips.

*Freshly ground cumin, coriander seed, fenugreek seed and Sichuan peppercorn.

pork1.thumb.jpg.f48b57d74d97363ecf9e622a17b086c2.jpg

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 12
  • Delicious 2

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Not much cooking going on for me.  I've been pretty sick --not Covid.  On the mend now, so I scraped myself together and made some Caesar salad dressing and heated up some sauce.  The pasta was good, but it was so wide that it was hard to eat......

thumbnail_IMG_1648.jpg.26e31ffaea0d3991709cbf77ae0ad856.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_1649.jpg.34375cd8308c19fb83815a1cda6173f6.jpg

• Like 14
  • Delicious 2

On 12/16/2021 at 12:34 PM, Kim Shook said:

@liamsaunt – your stuffed chicken looks delicious!  When you say herbed cheese, is it a soft one like Boursin? 

Sorry, I forgot to answer this,  Yes, it actually was Boursin cheese!  🙂

Dinner last night was supposed to be squash risotto, but my niece got her covid booster Saturday.  She was feeling really lousy yesterday and wanted to skip dinner.  She really likes squash risotto so I punted that meal to later this week, dug around in the freezer and found some sauce and meatballs for us to have instead.  Cheesy garlic bread also from the freezer.

smeatballs.jpg

Edited by liamsaunt (log)
  • Like 15
  • Delicious 4