• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2021

liuzhou

On 12/15/2021 at 10:42 AM, Katie Meadow said:

Rösti.

That is how my last latke is made after an hour of plate after plate taken by family passing sneaky through the kitchen. They never make it to a table. Never a tray kept warm in the oven. Gone immediately and that is fine. So good fresh from the cast iron. Like bacon. I turn my back for a second and it is gone from the p-towel resting plate. 

One biggie latke makes them nervous and hard to steal, 😜...so we get some

Looks so good! 

Same with mini meatballs I often make for holidays. Porcinni/za'taar I made last week. A good rest in the fridge to meld, I said frig-it and put the blend into two mini loaf pans. I've not made meatloaf in years but it was a treat. easier and topped it with sumac and a big squirt of sriracha. Toasted garbanzo, cilantro stem zesty humus. Burnt the crap out of the naan even though I stood with my hand on the oven door. A wall oven at eye level but even after a timer for 3 minutes I still often burn breads. Brain fog. 

HUMUS:MEATLOAF.png

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Annie_H said:

That is how my last latke is made after an hour of plate after plate taken by family passing sneaky through the kitchen. They never make it to a table. Never a tray kept warm in the oven. Gone immediately and that is fine. So good fresh from the cast iron. Like bacon. I turn my back for a second and it is gone from the p-towel resting plate. 

One biggie latke makes them nervous and hard to steal, 😜...so we get some

Looks so good! 

Same with mini meatballs I often make for holidays. Porcinni/za'taar I made last week. A good rest in the fridge to meld, I said frig-it and put the blend into two mini loaf pans. I've not made meatloaf in years but it was a treat. easier and topped it with sumac and a big squirt of sriracha. Toasted garbanzo, cilantro stem zesty humus. Burnt the crap out of the naan even though I stood with my hand on the oven door. A wall oven at eye level but even after a timer for 3 minutes I still often burn breads. Brain fog. 

HUMUS:MEATLOAF.png

I don't think I ever said anything about rosti.

On 12/15/2021 at 7:42 AM, Katie Meadow said:

We are going to roast a whole chicken today and I have a bag of arugula, which also makes a nice bed. But now I think I will try this twist and sauté it in the roasting pan. Thank YOU!

@weinooet al, I don't think I will ever roast a chicken again without quick-frying arugula or watercress in drippings. Really good.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Duvel said:

Nice job 👍

It looks like you sauced them - if so, which sauce did you choose ?

Thank you!

A basic pan sauce made from the drippings from roasting the tenderloin, with some mirin added (because that was the only cooking wine I had on hand). 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Ann_T said:
Last night's dinner.
1579303947_BagelsandSmokedSalmonDecember16th2021.thumb.jpg.50b1eee734d37542b5896b6836f9bdf1.jpg
Platter for Two.
1817952803_BagelsandSmokedSalmonDecember16th20211.thumb.jpg.2009a0d579008cd874e13312e68738d5.jpg
Homemade bagels, smoked salmon and cream cheese.

That is our traditional Christmas breakfast. Along with monkey bread and fruit salad for the one who doesns't like salmon or cream cheese! Pretty sure there was a mix up at the hospital with that one...

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

5 hours ago, weinoo said:

Don't show the bagel stores here all your cream cheese! And is that a caper or two?

Supermarkets here are running cream cheese sales...huge displays.  Have them send an Uber down.

• Like 2

I was gonna call this the "don't ask" meal, but then I realized  I had recreated a specialty of my youth.

IMG_5817.thumb.jpeg.3e00814af03c016c1d6248503c499d5f.jpeg\

For some strange reason (boredom, maybe?) I had purchased a turkey tenderloin, possibly the most boring piece of protein on the planet. Oh sure, I know people who will sous vide the breast for sandwiches, but that wasn't my intent. Nor was slicing it thinly, and using it like faux veal cutlets, schnitzel, or something along those lines.

Instead, I dry-brined it for a few hours, and roasted it in a fairly slow oven, to an internal temp of 150℉, on a Thermoworks probe. Which, as can be seen, at least kept it moist.  I'd baked a potato and mushed it up with butter and topped with sour cream (okay, full fat yogurt).  And I made peas and carrots, with onions.

Then thinking about it all, we're eating a fancified version of a Swanson frozen turkey TV dinner. Which actually made it all ok - though it was missing the molten lava apple/cranberry thing that (as well as the "gravy.")

swanson.jpeg.c8757ef907817a255b8c2b8ab6b07ba0.jpeg

And I doubt the Swanson of my youth was accompanied by a nice, dry Chenin Blanc, but this one was!

Edited by weinoo (log)
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 8

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

43 minutes ago, KennethT said:

And yes, that's an infrared heat lamp to keep the pizza hot while we're eating.  It works quite well.

I was wondering if you were also using the induction burner.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

16 minutes ago, weinoo said:

I was wondering if you were also using the induction burner.

No, the induction burner is used as a stand to get the pizza a bit closer to the heat lamp.  When the pizza is on the countertop, it doesn't stay quite hot enough.  The way it is, there's no difference between the first and last slices.  I use the heat lamp becuase I don't have an oven large enough to accommodate a whole pizza.  In the old apartment, I'd just throw the box in a warm oven to keep it hot between slices, but not having a full sized oven in the new apartment forces one to get creative.  But I thought it was ridiculous when renovating the place to purchase and take the space of a full sized oven just to be a dedicated pizza warmer...

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

1-2mm thick.  Really?    Under 1/8" thick?    I can see 3-4mm but 1-2mm seems unmanageably thin.

Yes, really.  Super thin at the point of the triangle.  Perfect pizza for folding.  The dough is also a bit chewy rather than crisp, as a good NY pizza is supposed to be.  But I love their crust/sauce/cheese ratio.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1