• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2021

liuzhou

On 12/10/2021 at 11:00 AM, heidih said:

You may want to check out the freeze option  https://www.seriouseats.com/frozen-roasted-sweet-potato-5210149

I have seven bags of pureed sweet potatoes in my deep freezer from last late winter/early spring's CSA delivery.  I am trying not to add any more until we eat those.  Luckily my niece comes home for an extended holiday break starting next Thursday and sweet potatoes are one of her favorites so hopefully by the time she goes back to school I'll have things under control.  The radishes however...we got more delivered yesterday!

The bay scallops from Nantucket are in their brief season, so yesterday we splurged and got some to have on spaghetti with a lemon garlic butter sauce.  I doubt we will have them again--they (and lobsters!) are even more expensive than usual this year.  Luckily a little goes a long way.

1939930472_bayscallops.thumb.jpg.812f9601982663b01b47c42234472a9c.jpg

• Like 18
  • Delicious 4

On 12/9/2021 at 7:20 PM, Margaret Pilgrim said:

Continuing our way through the Thanksgiving ham, tonight was a husband's childhood memory, scalloped potatoes with ham (onions and cheese).

956295797_ScreenShot2021-12-09at5_00_27PM.png.445aa25f8c2d79d3fc0f53d21578070d.png

My husband and kids favourite memory of supper with Nana.
I made the combo but no onions in the scalloped taters. F-i-l was not a fan of onions, so we've always made it without onions.

507553968_HamScallopedtaters5970.jpg.bc79255a4bb84180a8d2892f6c170f5d.jpg

Put together Beef Fajita last night quickly as I over-slept on my afternoon nap! Had all the ingredients, so it was easily put together in 30 minutes

1389097850_DYIFajita5986.jpg.85fedb8f7938feb33c7e430470d25c42.jpg

549047352_Fajita5989.jpg.7e3c9afb69100e726b5261a7a8419a41.jpg

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

8 hours ago, MetsFan5 said:

That steak is gorgeous. 

I take no credit - but I do thank the cow and the farmer!

Usually I try to get to my local butchers (who sources within 150KM) as they age their beef for 8 weeks (if you ask) and it is divine (has a funky old cheese element to it)

This one was a USDA Prime NY Strip from Pusateri's - I prefer ribeye, but this was good - and the leftovers made for some great steak sandwiches! :)

• Like 3
  • Delicious 1

2 hours ago, liamsaunt said:

The bay scallops from Nantucket are in their brief season,

You had to mention this; maybe I can find some here in NYC, where they'll probably be even more expensive than up by you!

• Haha 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

I was boned by Baldor, a NYC restaurant supplier. My last delivery was July 1st via invoices. Mid Sept I had an open cart of maybe 7 items but decided to just order local WholeFoods. Fast forward Thanksgiving I decided I missed some Baldor favorites. My cart was emptied from Sept as usually happens. Instead they placed that order in 'invoices' even though I gave no 'pay now' or 'proceed to cart'. Or 'proceed to payment'. I received double on these items. Bulk quantities. Two 5 lb bags of wild rice. 8 pounds of merguez. 😂. 20 pounds of cheese instead of 10. And a full tray of gorgeous tomatoes at twice the price of Sept. 

I almost went Bourdain Kitchen Confidential on them. One chapter he called and lost it on them for a bum order and slammed the phone. An employee, over-hearing the rant, said it was not Baldor but another supplier. 

So, I had a brief kitchen meditation and realized worse thing could happen. Embrace it. Gorgeous tomatoes at caviar prices. Fortunately they are slowly ripening unlike avocados. (all at once)

Salmon BLT Avocado

A summer season favorite in December...no complaints. Butcher Box bacon

Screen Shot 2021-12-07 at 5.23.36 AM.png

• Like 9
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

After several months, I have started making sourdough bread again.  I started with commercial rapid rise yeast and fed it for a few days. Yeast is like hybrid plants whose seeds will not bloom as the hybrid but as it originally was.  Yeast will revert to its natural wild state in a few days.  It seems to be the one everyone really likes-except Charlie.  He seems to be getting tired of it.  We had steak with it.

20211211_175716.jpg

20211211_180012.jpg

20211211_180958.jpg

• Like 10
  • Delicious 2

Stewed veal tongue, with mushrooms and sausages in a Madeira sauce, served with red cabbage and potatoes. This is one of my father’s favorite foods and my mom cooks it very often when we come to visit. 

29C5DD35-026E-4BDD-BEAB-C3EA5EC143E3.thumb.jpeg.8c86b34c1ad952139eb659ca1dffc4d8.jpeg

• Like 11
  • Delicious 1

IMG_5718.thumb.jpeg.3b9bc11515897c8b83a896506343b343.jpeg

The above dinner means I could plate nicer and take better pictures. But the shrimp fried rice and sautéed spinach were fine.

Yesterday, I took out the Mouli to play...

9319A791-B593-4BE4-8DFD-CFBF3FC80311.thumb.jpeg.009f3fd84bfcfefbab06f2fa317b764e.jpeg

The céleri rémoulade and carrotes râpées were served alongside (but on a different plate) slices of a small pork roast and mashed potatoes, which fortunately I failed to take a picture of.

• Like 10
  • Delicious 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

8 minutes ago, weinoo said:

Yesterday, I took out the Mouli to play...

Kitchen toys are kitchen toys! 

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

10 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Norm, did you ask him?

No. I can tell that he does not eat it as often as before. He declined any at dinner.  He also seldom ever eats left overs or the same thing two days in a row.  I have probably spoiled him.

Edited by Norm Matthews (log)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Pork lenderloin steak with frsh shiitake, coriander leaf/cilantro garlic and rice wine. Carb free. But, I've not been in good shape and I haven't really eaten for days and this is me easing back into foodland.

din.thumb.jpg.62bb27b30ee5b5df563f3cf389fcc0a1.jpg

• Like 10
  • Delicious 1
  • Sad 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

1 hour ago, liuzhou said:

Pork lenderloin steak with frsh shiitake, coriander leaf/cilantro garlic and rice wine. Carb free. But, I've not been in good shape and I haven't really eaten for days and this is me easing back into foodland.

din.thumb.jpg.62bb27b30ee5b5df563f3cf389fcc0a1.jpg

I hope you are all right. Good food has good healing powers.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1