• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2021

liuzhou

On 12/8/2021 at 5:07 PM, Tropicalsenior said:

Not very fancy but I just had a craving for tuna casserole.

20211208_183838.thumb.jpg.2c90610bc26708361e72f490e732a7a8.jpg

For those of you who have been following this topic no, I did not use this recipe. It might have given me the idea, though.

I am the only person in the world who has never had enough of this dish, which a relative renamed "deep dish tuna noodleburger" for an important dinner party.   i'm not sure her husband's boss and wife were amused.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

eGullet member #80.

5 minutes ago, Honkman said:

The century old authentic recipe of corn tacos filled with turkey-feta meatballs with avocado-tomato salsa and finished with some more feta.

FE4C9234-71B0-45DC-9B95-F0ED17C7AABB.thumb.jpeg.fd48d89d20ca13bdf5d3ae8e9530b0d1.jpeg

Interesting, the meatballs look nice and moist for being turkey. What is the history of the recipe? Is it from your family?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Tropicalsenior said:

What is the history of the recipe

That was just a tongue-in-cheek comment about a completely inauthentic recipe.

For turkey meatballs to be not overly dry it is important not to use 99% ground turkey but 93% and also to use some “moist” fillers - in this case an egg and crumbled feta cheese

1 hour ago, Honkman said:

That was just a tongue-in-cheek comment about a completely inauthentic recipe.

I am so glad to hear that.

2 hours ago, Tropicalsenior said:

What is the history of the recipe? Is it from your family?

Because that was just a polite way of saying, "I've got to hear more. If this guy thinks I'm going to believe somebody stuck feta in their tacos a hundred years ago, he's nuts".

That said, they look delicious.

• Haha 1

Last night I made a recipe that came with my CSA newsletter for a sweet potato dolma with spinach and mushrooms.  I was a bit skeptical because the recipe read kind of weird.  When I finally thought to look and see if I could find it somewhere online (after I made and ate dinner!  I should have looked earlier), I found the version written by the chef who is married to the farmer who runs our CSA and realized that they had altered the recipe to try and include as many items that came in last week's box as possible.  I am glad I followed my instinct and left out, for example, the cabbage and kale (among other things) that the CSA version of the recipe called for.  

We liked it, and it did use up a lot of things from the CSA box (we are somewhat overrun with sweet potatoes from them right now).  

dolma.thumb.jpg.3053e3a24e37603a3cc56461c85c5e0d.jpg

• Like 14
  • Delicious 2

6 minutes ago, liamsaunt said:

(we are somewhat overrun with sweet potatoes from them right now)

It looks delicious. Fortunately sweet potatoes will keep for quite a while. This is one of my favorite ways to prepare sweet potatoes. It is relatively quick and a nice Asian flavored side dish.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Dante – my mother used to make a similar chicken dish, but I never heard it called Chicken Jerusalem.  Thank you!

@Annie_H – would you share your cod cake recipe, please?  I think I need these in my repertoire. 

And the gold medal for the blandest dish of the thread goes to...ME!

IMG_7606.jpg.361fd5b0514778465cb98ef304eac872.jpg

What can I say?  It's exactly what I needed last night.😊

• Like 9
  • Delicious 1

17 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

53 minutes ago, Ann_T said:

This was suppose to be last night's dinner.  

Made this morning for breakfast instead.

This is my idea of thinking outside the box. Two beautiful meals that just make sense.

Edited by Tropicalsenior (log)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, liamsaunt said:

We liked it, and it did use up a lot of things from the CSA box

We have had better meals in the past couple years with our delivery veg boxes. I have so many choices now and not many re-peats or boring standards. Sure a rotation for ease and comfort weekdays, but the variety is excellent if I want to try something new.

I just make sure I use the most tender veg first, then check the winter squashes and potatoes often enough for deterioration. No waste when the new box arrives, I make a pup rice/grain/veg pot of food. 

Bollywood Bugers last night

IMG_1839.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Delicious 3

1 hour ago, Kim Shook said:

@Annie_H – would you share your cod cake recipe, please?  I think I need these in my repertoire. 

If you like crab cakes, this is on that similar train of flavors. One part potato, two parts cod or firm white fish. This was probably 14 ounces cod. A medium potato, cubed and simmered until very tender. Remove with slotted spoon and set aside in the eventual mixing bowl. Use the same pot water for the cod to simmer/poach low med heat. Covered. Prep moriopoix, celery and its leaves, shallot or onion, mash semi-cooled potato and add veg and your usual crab cake adds.-- A bit of mayo, dry mustard, Worcestershire, pinch OldBay, heat(hot sauce) if you like. An egg. Equivalent of 3 or four saltines. I use panko or matzo or a slice of dry toast chopped. Just like a crab cake but no, I do not put potato in my crab cakes. Fold in the cod gently. Rest and cool and fridge overnight, covered, or at least 4-6 hours. I form into cakes using my medium cookie scoop. Tap into panko or a mix of panko/rice flour/bit of cornstarch. Season if I feel like it. 

This made 12, so I froze 6 and had six for the meal that night. We are doing 7 days of fishes from x-mas day to NewYears this year. Crab is 30% up in price this year. Even the bland pasteurized from foreign farmed waters. Lobster, oysters and clams are on the menu fresh/local. 

COD CAKES-12-21.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

Tuesday afternoon a delivery of RappaScrapple arrived. Dinner plans pushed aside. Hometown childhood egg scramble/crispy scrapple. 

Not something I would usually post but my Brother in Idaho is jealous. (might send him a few pounds for the holidays!)

IMG_1827.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

6 hours ago, Honkman said:

Pad Thai with rice noodles, shrimps, green beans, tofu, mung bean sprouts, eggs, peanuts, fish sauce, brown sugar, (and a little bit too much) tamarind

1902680E-88FE-478C-B9FF-32E365C4118E.thumb.jpeg.6f35e150859d8f9515e2ee49edd539cf.jpeg

I find that fish sauce and tamarind go from not quite enough to way too much way too easily.