• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2021

liuzhou

I bought some beautiful radishes and carrots at the market yesterday.  The green portions looked so good that they became supper tonight.  Loubo radish salad with a garlicy vinaigrette and Spanish braised chickpeas with tuna and olives.  

1479855470_IMG_20211204_105003976_HDR(1).thumb.jpg.09955f8f83b23a243e1da3ace8c1e724.jpg

IMG_20211205_181836144.thumb.jpg.49a283f3bb732f7bf2a89c4f91a272cd.jpg

• Like 13
  • Delicious 2

1766149884_BraisedLambShanksinwinesauceDecember5th20211.thumb.jpg.a8b44baa6e636176e38cfded526db3cc.jpg
Braised Lamb Shanks in a red wine sauce served with Duchess Potatoes, rutabaga, zucchini and carrot.
Got the dish started before leaving for work.
Lamb was browned and in the sauce.
Moe just had to put the pan in the oven late this afternoon.
All I had to do after work was make the mashed potatoes for the Duchess and steam the vegetables.

Edited by Ann_T (log)
  • Like 13
  • Delicious 7

Maple glazed chicken cooked in a pan with sweet potatoes and some of the endless radishes that are filling up my crisper drawer.  I tossed some arugula in at the end.  The vegetables soaked up all the chicken fat and were the best part of the dish.

chicken2.thumb.jpg.9eda5ac11b67bd0d269f6cb00dd3886a.jpg

• Like 13
  • Delicious 5

Flannery Rib Cap!!  I halved  Do to time restraints..  I opened it up S and P only/  placed in a 225 degree oven.. till 105 F  then grilled

51726816940_4d2aaf848d_z.jpg

Did a smash tator with Mushroom jus

51726819115_16b1abe4f9_z.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 4

Its good to have Morels

1 hour ago, Paul Bacino said:

Flannery Rib Cap!!  I halved  Do to time restraints..  I opened it up S and P only/  placed in a 225 degree oven.. till 105 F  then grilled

51726816940_4d2aaf848d_z.jpg

Did a smash tator with Mushroom jus

51726819115_16b1abe4f9_z.jpg

Wow, looks fantastic.  I like your method for the steak.

Edited by Okanagancook (log)

On 12/5/2021 at 7:27 AM, liamsaunt said:

Creamy polenta topped with roasted mushrooms and garlicky kale, plus a poached egg and a green olive pesto.  Another dinner based on a Half Baked Harvest recipe, though I roasted my mushrooms for extra flavor.  

828719778_poelntaeggs.thumb.jpg.ad6248b6f8f9a9dd39be797d82632cf1.jpg

I just bought The Flavourbomb by Rob Blumer and you practised two of his recommendations for flavour enhancement.  Roasted your mushrooms enough to get a good caramelization on them and put an egg on top of your dish!  I was chuckling to myself.  Good job. 

Edited by Okanagancook (log)
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, heidih said:

I have a sweet potato looking for a date with the mushroom jus. Your method?

My Mushroom jus..  I had Cremini and chemiji ( sp ) shrooms/  fry hard in skillet 50/50  evoo and irish butter/ added fresh garden garlic saute/  deglace with wine/  I had white balsamic vinegar /  to this  i fold in vegetable beyond boullion ( that i liquided out / and some Chicken stock..I didn't salt shrooms.. because the other mentioned stocks have inherent salt.. reduce till thick..u can add thyme.. which i did at some point

Cheers  B

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Its good to have Morels

Last night a leek, garlic, fresh tomato gorgonzola vodka sauce. Merguez. Artichoke. Crisper drawer slaw...fennel, golden beet, watermelon radish, etc. Thanks to Misfits. 

Always ends up in a heap on our plates. Starts off civilized as a starter and a main....

IMG_1800.jpeg

IMG_1801.jpeg

• Like 13
  • Delicious 2
  • Confused 1

33 minutes ago, Annie_H said:

Last night a leek, garlic, fresh tomato gorgonzola vodka sauce. Merguez.

I am a bit confused - until the Merguez that’s one plate ? Or until the tomato gorgonzola vodka sauce and the Merguez is hidden under the pasta or served separately ? And the artichokes are also part of the pasta dish or part of the kitchen sink salad ?

I know it might not matter much if everything gets combined at the end, but curious minds want to know 🤗

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Tropicalsenior said:

Okay. Thought about it. Gotta ask! How in the world did you get it well done on warm?

Time.

I actually thought the Philips grill was broken because the elements were not painful to look at.  Often I have to wear dark glasses to cook on it.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

2 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Time.

I actually thought the Philips grill was broken because the elements were not painful to look at.  Often I have to wear dark glasses to cook on it.

Okay,,, I guess.

Edited by Tropicalsenior (log)

16 hours ago, Ann_T said:
1766149884_BraisedLambShanksinwinesauceDecember5th20211.thumb.jpg.a8b44baa6e636176e38cfded526db3cc.jpg
Braised Lamb Shanks in a red wine sauce served with Duchess Potatoes, rutabaga, zucchini and carrot.
Got the dish started before leaving for work.
Lamb was browned and in the sauce.
Moe just had to put the pan in the oven late this afternoon.
All I had to do after work was make the mashed potatoes for the Duchess and steam the vegetables.

I have a very short Christmas list this year....

Be Moe.

• Like 4
  • Haha 11

Brenda

I whistfully mentioned how I missed sushi. Truly horrified, she told me "you city folk eat the strangest things!", and offered me a freshly fried chitterling!

I made Food and Wine's Chicken in a Pot with Lemon Orzo last night. My daughter came and we made wreaths and garlands from clippings on our property so wanted something I could prep ahead and shove in the oven. It was really good, although not terribly photogenic made in my dingy old dutch oven. Some suggested in the comments to broil the chicken but it was so fall apart tender at the end I couldn't imagine doing that. The breast skin was fine as it is browned/crisped before braising. We don't ususally eat the skin anyway so I was happy with the dish the way it was. True comfort food.

https://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/chicken-in-a-pot-with-lemon-orzo

• Like 6
  • Delicious 1

635EC909-8C56-4CD7-8868-42AB7B5597B4.thumb.jpeg.22fc8a0850e5df6f98dd54c44ba1dccd.jpeg
I was the lucky recipient of some carrots, parsnips and small sweet potatoes from the farmers’ market in nearby Dunnville. I roasted them early today. Near dinner time I cooked a chicken leg in some Dashi seasoned with soy sauce. After the chicken leg was done I stripped its meat, returned it to the cooking liquid along with some of the vegetables and the outside leaves of a small radicchio. I have always felt those little globules of fat define a good chicken soup.  

• Like 10
  • Delicious 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

And yet another pork chop on the NFG with squash and leftover latkes also made at the same time.  The latkes were a tad overdone and the pork chop was extra-thick so it came out a little dry, but I ate it all!

nfg-pork-chop12.jpg.c0453bc8ccb311c2e659e8e37a857e8a.jpg

• Like 9
  • Delicious 2

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

I had the same idea as @Duvel yesterday, except ours was for dinner, and since I was low on wild boar meat, it didn't have wild boar meatballs in it either. It was, however, made with @rancho_gordo's beans.

IMG_5678.thumb.jpeg.e2d8bec8a21600d38e7bb5ee83591af3.jpeg

I was vacillating about whether or not to add tomatoes once the beans had softened sufficiently. Was it going to turn into pasta e fagioli or more of a minestrone type soup? In the end, I decided to go with the tomatoes. And a baguette I brought home from Balthazar was the side dish.

66052449690__0361A9F0-4629-4DAF-8786-9A4FEB7DEA8C.thumb.jpeg.f211248f3ce7bd8ed53f92bbf3685ea5.jpeg

• Like 12
  • Delicious 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?