• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2021

liuzhou

Thai Curry Noodles with chicken thighs, tofu, bean sprouts, rice noodles - the recipe for this curry was interesting as it used red and yellow curry paste as well as curry powder in coconut-chicken broth and light brown sugar and fish sauce. Finished with peanuts, egg, cilantro and fried shallots

D7606428-CF7E-4029-88D4-C0333764E1F0.jpeg

• Like 11
  • Delicious 2

grilled spatchcocked chicken on the weber.

with roasted butternut squash and a salsa verde with parsley, cilantro, shallot and 1/4 of an avocado white vinegar and olive oil.

Foillard Morgon Cote Du Py in the glass

IMG_6341.jpeg

IMG_6347 2.jpeg

IMG_6348.jpeg

IMG_6349.jpeg

IMG_6352 2.jpeg

IMG_6351 2.jpeg

• Like 13
  • Delicious 3

Shrimp Cake!!

Left over snacks from Thanksgiving!!  shrimp/food processed little/ tri colored peppers/  carrot , cellery , onion, lemon grass, egg, panko...shrimp were season with a creole& slap ur momma seasoning

51716724549_c391bf6215_b.jpg

Edited by Paul Bacino (log)
  • Like 10
  • Delicious 1

Its good to have Morels

Miso salmon ramen with roasted broccolini and spiralized summer squash.  It was freezing yesterday so I dug out the stone bowls I bought a few years ago for bibimbap and heated them up and put the ramen in them.  It kept everything very hot but overcooked the noodles by the end of dinner.  

1373053001_misosalmon2.thumb.jpg.17abd02407bc8ad729a1d235b875b368.jpg

• Like 18
  • Delicious 3

6B799D97-3624-47D0-9D63-F94CF01D44FB.thumb.jpeg.5800744135738dc29ecf350e314d3c9d.jpeg

Rice bowl with chicken and assorted vegetables. 

Edited to add:

2DC36D06-005D-4D1A-BC33-0DD209C87F7A.thumb.jpeg.eca03928a3f9d3d7b59e3137d5235d64.jpeg

Yesterday, this duck breast was also planned for a rice bowl but I ran out of steam. Even unaccompanied it was delicious. 

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 16
  • Delicious 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

6B799D97-3624-47D0-9D63-F94CF01D44FB.thumb.jpeg.5800744135738dc29ecf350e314d3c9d.jpeg

Rice bowl with chicken and assorted vegetables. 

Edited to add:

2DC36D06-005D-4D1A-BC33-0DD209C87F7A.thumb.jpeg.eca03928a3f9d3d7b59e3137d5235d64.jpeg

Yesterday, this duck breast was also planned for a rice bowl but I ran out of steam. Even unaccompanied it was delicious. 

That skin is a thing of beauty!

How to get that "crackling"?

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

20 minutes ago, Dejah said:

That skin is a thing of beauty!

How to get that "crackling"?

Thank you. Although it looks crispy and it was quite delicious it  did not have that “crackle” that you get with pork skin. I have tried dozens and dozens and dozens of techniques. I can get pork skin crispy and I can get chicken skin crispy but be damned if I can actually get duck skin crispy. 

• Like 2

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Tuesday night was dinner out, as we wanted something fried for Hanukkah...

1715577397_IMG_56412.thumb.jpeg.db635e819ff4269c0c6f9f98b52a7dc0.jpeg

So Cervo's it was, and these croquetas (chorizo and tetilla) hit the spot. As did the fries. As did the fried shrimp.

Last night, back to the kitchen. Leftover salmon (not the band) meant salmon latkes...

IMG_5642.thumb.jpeg.d33592a40196ea4680fc36416ad85851.jpeg

Yukon Gold baked potatoes, green beans blanched then sautéed in beurre espelette, olive oil, red onion, garlic. Alongside (and used as a topping for the potato) was cucumber and red onions in sour cream.

• Like 10
  • Delicious 3

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

13 hours ago, Anna N said:

Thank you. Although it looks crispy and it was quite delicious it  did not have that “crackle” that you get with pork skin. I have tried dozens and dozens and dozens of techniques. I can get pork skin crispy and I can get chicken skin crispy but be damned if I can actually get duck skin crispy. 

Have you tried putting the duck skin side down in a cold pan and starting from that point to render - only keeping it on medium till the end, then high to crisp?

1 hour ago, TicTac said:

Have you tried putting the duck skin side down in a cold pan and starting from that point to render - only keeping it on medium till the end, then high to crisp?

Indeed I have. I have tried different pans. I have tried different heat levels. I have tried different times. I am of the opinion that duck skin simply does not lend it
 Cself to the kind of crispiness that can be attained with pork skin and/or chicken skin. I am not saying that it doesn’t get a little crunch to it but it is a different result than with other things that we manage to crisp.  

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

@Anna N 

Ive used this method several times in the past.

its Part II of Madaleine Kamman's duck in two courses :  breast first, then leg

you put the leg and its skin on a rack over about 1 " of water.

very important .  425 F or possibly 450 F.   the duck fat will drip

thus the water pan or it would burn .  you do get a little smoke

after 45 min  or so . lightly coat the skin w a marmalade , etc of your choice

then back in the over , watching carefully for marmalade burning

then done.   difficult to wait for cool down.  often burnt moth

the skin is like a softer textured cracking .  very crunchy , medium density 

where pork skin is full density.

Id do it more often , but there is some splatter !

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Last night was the seemingly eternal Thanksgiving sides and a recipe from @JAZ's new IP cookbook - Pork Tenderloin with Pepper Jelly Glaze (at 6 o'clock):

IMG_7535.jpg.9cd7fb1784d5bc8a9fd7a43a52e98062.jpg

We are actually still enjoying the leftovers and the pork was excellent.

I have a question.  I saw this yesterday at Lidl:

IMG_7526.thumb.jpg.91cdd0cea1c58dc28bc2a73bb99f629f.jpg

Is there any advantage to using canned cherry tomatoes rather than regular canned tomatoes?  Any particular recipes that they would be especially good for.  We love tomato based sauces, but NOT hot tomatoes (such as broiled or stewed tomatoes).  

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, Tropicalsenior said:

That would be one advantage of the canned cherry tomatoes.

The skins have been removed? The rage for the cherry tomatoes I see is the whole roasted ones with aromatics. 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, weinoo said:

I get some really sweet ones (cherry tomatoes) via Gustiamo; the problem to me is the skins.

I usually have one or more of these in my pantry. I find them quite a lot sweeter than most canned tomatoes. 

These.

When fresh cherry tomatoes are not at their best I find using them in a sauté improves the flavour. It’s a bit like roasting out of season strawberries to bring out some more of their flavour. 

Edited by Anna N
To fix typos and add additional information. (log)
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

My 2004 eG Blog

Culturally, I have no connection to Thanksgiving and thus I had never really turkey other than a very few times in small, preprocessed (think minute steaks, shredded etc) portions.

Last week our supermarket had some turkey legs on offer (>2.5 kg each) and I bought one out of curiosity. SV @66 oC for 30h, only seasoned with salt, pepper, bay leaves and pinch of garlic powder. Crisped up in the oven brushed with goose fat for about 20 min. Bag juices boiled with roasted onion, thyme and heavy cream, strained and thickened with cornstarch and butter. Mashed potatoes and buttered peas. And a Moritz 7 beer.

B6D6A2AD-5C37-4A85-B54C-9F65386CCD59.thumb.jpeg.46f6b133093da5041141b85310b3fae4.jpeg

C7D0CABB-A0D5-4EF5-B3A5-6143F2BC4612.thumb.jpeg.a216a277479e02ebdb7c288ad4b8de07.jpeg

Actually not bad at all … especially the gravy.

• Like 15
  • Delicious 1