• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2021

liuzhou

8 minutes ago, rotuts said:

@JoNorvelleWalker 

OK  Time Marches On

the Clock  ( in our local areas )

says Tick-Tock  

rarely , very close to Never

says 

' Tock-Tick '

Its the way it is

sorry you did not have

Butter Beans

Ill light a Candle 

cheers

I have a can in the bedroom of organic butter beans, but last night's limas were from Rancho Gordo.

• Like 3

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

@JoNorvelleWalker 

interesting 

Ive never had  ' butter bean '

to review :

I know for sure 

those

Gold potatoes 

of all kinds 

are not Buttery 

you are welcome to e enjoy them

but pls : you want buttery ?

as your own butter

still tasty 

those YG 

with reasonably additions .

The in-laws are still with us, and today they were not too enthusiastic about more German food. 

So, I got a rabbit, braised it with little meat balls, dried wild mushrooms, brandy and white wine. Some garlic-fried white beans to go with it. Very Catalan, and no leftovers 😁

0B51264A-1565-4DA2-AE5F-A7A574641666.thumb.jpeg.1181ee72cb59d1849cce8f17a5eeddab.jpeg

66A9B666-CD3C-42CC-A071-AA72B0CFCB9C.thumb.jpeg.960f22850283e15d3b4833639ffb0b43.jpeg

97FB0CA4-517C-4DEE-9FDE-A8F650A9DEE3.thumb.jpeg.f23f13b44c71e0e42e2956929ce39eea.jpeg

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

9 hours ago, rotuts said:

@JoNorvelleWalker 

interesting 

Ive never had  ' butter bean '

to review :

I know for sure 

those

Gold potatoes 

of all kinds 

are not Buttery 

you are welcome to e enjoy them

but pls : you want buttery ?

as your own butter

still tasty 

those YG 

with reasonably additions .

I don't believe it either, but that's what the can says.

I grew up on 'butter beans'. Loved them. They are Lima beans by another name. The more common name in the UK. They were served as a side vegetable in the lunch canteen when I was in junior school.

I even have a can here.

1791493801__20211119121823.thumb.jpg.7b49e69be1ffe6a853eb879cf0efac7d.jpg

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 4
  • Delicious 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Fresh hand pulled noodles fried with pork (marinated in Shaoxing with garlic and ginger), fresh shiitake mushrooms, shimeji mushrooms, snow peas and chilli. Finished with a little soy sauce made from black soy beans. Would have added chopped scallions , but didn't have any.

mise1024.thumb.jpg.71f811410bf6454e8d406a91bacddacc.jpg

Veg Mise

noodles1024.thumb.jpg.ad4b546eb8c455902070143c58eafe0f.jpg

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 11
  • Delicious 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

@rotuts @JoNorvelleWalker @heidih et al:
I find the frozen mixed veg really handy to have on hand for soups, pot pies, etc. I always rinse my frozen veg with cold water before microwaving. But now, if I find they have dried out a bit, I'll remember your advice, @rotuts to rinse!

Just as a side comment, my daughter got an English Golden Retriever in the summer. Her husband is a boxing fan, so they named the pup Butterbean! He is called Butters for short.
Here he is, meeting the elder in the family: Lily, the 12 year old Great Pyrenees! Butters is very respectful to this "auntie".

868070277_LilymeetsButters.png.de27d652c7b36efee1ee59d4895b4378.png

Supper tonight was steamed leftover wonton filling (pork, shrimp, waterchestnut) with added Chinese sausage and dried salted turnip, stir-fried "veg crisper", and jasmine rice.

569484640_PorkVegricebowl5773.jpg.8448fb48ed1c65aae822864dd771a596.jpg

• Like 10
  • Delicious 1

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

11 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I have a can in the bedroom of organic butter beans, but last night's limas were from Rancho Gordo.

You keep beans in the bedroom?!🤪

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

11 minutes ago, Dejah said:

You keep beans in the bedroom?!🤪

Most of my beans, about 50 pounds, are in the living room, but since these beans are canned, they are in the bedroom.  Several cans of black beans live in the bedroom too.

• Like 1

Moe had surgery a week ago Nov. 10th and was being discharged on Monday.   Getting him home was a bit of an adventure.

BC got hit Monday with a major rain storm that dropped record breaking rain  over much of the Province. Described as an “atmospheric river”.

Much of the province has now been declared "a state of emergency".

I left just before 8:30 Monday morning for Victoria. It was raining heavily and driving was slow due to the amount of water pooling on the road.

As I got into the Malahat mountain,  traffic slowed down more because of the amount of water pouring off the side of the mountain in various areas.
1287772017_Waterfalls.thumb.jpg.4cc955b3428662ce0921e080e1cb4a99.jpg

As I got closer to Victoria and in an area called Tunnel Hill, I came to a bend with a Flooded road sign.
Immediately around the bend was a river of water flowing across the south bound lane and across the north bound lane.
The water was fast running and came almost half way up the tires of the pick up truck that was in front of me.
258164600_FloodedMalahat.thumb.jpg.446083c07bd0a83fc58bbe873f1f339e.jpg

But there wasn't anything to do but keep on moving and hope for the best.
There wasn't even time to panic. 
I'm not sure how long this flooded stretch was, but it felt like forever. 
Shortly after this the highway was closed due to structural damage. So no way to get home, we booked into a hotel for the night.

web1_11162021-malahat-washout.jpg.eee6ae12049e1657680155c9ae43584c.jpg

They opened the highway Tuesday morning, one lane only, alternating 30 minutes each way.
Line ups were long and would take hours to get home so we booked into another hotel for the night.
There was no way that Moe would be able to sit in a car for hours.
The only other options for getting home were the Brentwood Bay Ferry or the Pacific Circle drive. Neither of which would work.
Moe isn't suppose to stay in the sitting position for longer than 20 minutes at a time.
On Tuesday there was an 8 hour wait for the ferry, as it only takes about 20 cars at a time .
And the Pacific Circle drive is over three hours long on less than a perfect road and it apparently had some issues to with a sink hole or something closing the that road.
So that left us the only alternative of getting on the highway early Wednesday morning and hoping that we would get through on the first batch going North.
The highway is closed at night between 6PM and 6AM while they work on it. We sat on the highway from 5:50 AM until about 7:40 when cars started to move.
Once we got by the damaged area, it was clear sailing and we were home at 8:10. Moe was able to get comfortable by stretching out in the back seat.
The fact that it only took us that long to get home was a bonus. It could have been a lot worse.

Moe's appetite had been off, but that could be explained by the hospital food.
The Jubilee Hospital is amazing and I can't say enough good things about the nursing staff and Moe's surgeon, but the food leaves much to be desired.
Moe requested roast beef for dinner so that is what he got.

1767166314_NewYorkStripRoastNovember17th20211.thumb.jpg.00469eb6865e6d7b77a262fe42a6ce0a.jpg
Roasted a small NY strip roast and served it with just mashed potatoes and buttered peas.
The first real meal he has had in a week. 
2066855427_PetraleSolewithBrownbutterandlemonNovember18th20211.thumb.jpg.355c0807650fbaa85fed6f03bacb2b98.jpg
Last night I made him petrale sole.
423904150_PetraleSolewithBrownbutterandlemonNovember18th20212.thumb.jpg.224a11d856535511b340f8a5837dabf5.jpg

Just a simple dish with lemon brown butter sauce and a side of spinach. 

I'm thinking maybe Shepherds Pie for dinner tonight. 

Edited by Ann_T (log)
  • Like 18
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 2
  • Sad 2

14 minutes ago, Ann_T said:

Moe had surgery a week ago Nov. 10th and was being discharged on Monday.   Getting him home was a bit of an adventure.

BC got hit Monday with a major rain storm that dropped record breaking rain  over much of the Province. Described as an “atmospheric river”.

Much of the province has now been declared "a state of emergency".

I left just before 8:30 Monday morning for Victoria. It was raining heavily and driving was slow due to the amount of water pooling on the road.

As I got into the Malahat mountain,  traffic slowed down more because of the amount of water pouring off the side of the mountain in various areas.
1287772017_Waterfalls.thumb.jpg.4cc955b3428662ce0921e080e1cb4a99.jpg

As I got closer to Victoria and in an area called Tunnel Hill, I came to a bend with a Flooded road sign.
Immediately around the bend was a river of water flowing across the south bound lane and across the north bound lane.
The water was fast running and came almost half way up the tires of the pick up truck that was in front of me.
258164600_FloodedMalahat.thumb.jpg.446083c07bd0a83fc58bbe873f1f339e.jpg

But there wasn't anything to do but keep on moving and hope for the best.
There wasn't even time to panic. 
I'm not sure how long this flooded stretch was, but it felt like forever. 
Shortly after this the highway was closed due to structural damage. So no way to get home, we booked into a hotel for the night.

web1_11162021-malahat-washout.jpg.eee6ae12049e1657680155c9ae43584c.jpg

They opened the highway Tuesday morning, one lane only, alternating 30 minutes each way.
Line ups were long and would take hours to get home so we booked into another hotel for the night.
There was no way that Moe would be able to sit in a car for hours.
The only other options for getting home were the Brentwood Bay Ferry or the Pacific Circle drive. Neither of which would work.
Moe isn't suppose to stay in the sitting position for longer than 20 minutes at a time.
On Tuesday there was an 8 hour wait for the ferry, as it only takes about 20 cars at a time .
And the Pacific Circle drive is over three hours long on less than a perfect road and it apparently had some issues to with a sink hole or something closing the that road.
So that left us the only alternative of getting on the highway early Wednesday morning and hoping that we would get through on the first batch going North.
The highway is closed at night between 6PM and 6AM while they work on it. We sat on the highway from 5:50 AM until about 7:40 when cars started to move.
Once we got by the damaged area, it was clear sailing and we were home at 8:10. Moe was able to get comfortable by stretching out in the back seat.
The fact that it only took as that long to get home was a bonus. It could have been a lot worse.

Moe's appetite had been off, but that could be explained by the hospital food.
The Jubilee Hospital is amazing and I can't say enough good things about the nursing staff and Moe's surgeon, but the food leaves much to be desired.
Moe requested roast beef for dinner so that is what he got.

1767166314_NewYorkStripRoastNovember17th20211.thumb.jpg.00469eb6865e6d7b77a262fe42a6ce0a.jpg
Roasted a small NY strip roast and served it with just mashed potatoes and buttered peas.
The first real meal he has had in a week. 
2066855427_PetraleSolewithBrownbutterandlemonNovember18th20211.thumb.jpg.355c0807650fbaa85fed6f03bacb2b98.jpg
Last night I made him petrale sole.
423904150_PetraleSolewithBrownbutterandlemonNovember18th20212.thumb.jpg.224a11d856535511b340f8a5837dabf5.jpg

Just a simple dish with lemon brown butter sauce and a side of spinach. 

I'm thinking maybe Shepherds Pie for dinner tonight. 

New York Strip Roast November 17th, 2021.jpg

wow!  That's quite the ordeal to go through have already gone through a totally different ordeal.  But I'm glad to see that you both finally made it home safely and hopefully will be back to normal soon.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

@Ann_T that damage from the rain looks terrible!  I am glad you got through it OK.  Best wishes to Moe for a speedy recovery.

Last night, salad a couple of different lettuces, breaded chicken tenderloins, with red and white roasted beets (I tossed them together so the white ones turned bright pink), maple candied pecans, red onions, cucumbers, and boursin cheese.  

41189337_chickensalad.thumb.jpg.7ba71c5acc11a901edd406eb2026fdc4.jpg

I am making a big pot of vegetable soup for dinner tonight to ensure my fridge is cleaned out in anticipation of today's CSA regular delivery and Monday's CSA Thanksgiving "gobble box" delivery of bulk vegetables.  Of course, my CSA has been giving me the dreaded kohlrabi every week lately, so the squirrels have been happy too.

IMG_9469.thumb.jpg.65663ca77e5761c3f0c634a94273fe11.jpg

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, liamsaunt said:

@Ann_T that damage from the rain looks terrible!  I am glad you got through it OK.  Best wishes to Moe for a speedy recovery.

Last night, salad a couple of different lettuces, breaded chicken tenderloins, with red and white roasted beets (I tossed them together so the white ones turned bright pink), maple candied pecans, red onions, cucumbers, and boursin cheese.  

41189337_chickensalad.thumb.jpg.7ba71c5acc11a901edd406eb2026fdc4.jpg

I am making a big pot of vegetable soup for dinner tonight to ensure my fridge is cleaned out in anticipation of today's CSA regular delivery and Monday's CSA Thanksgiving "gobble box" delivery of bulk vegetables.  Of course, my CSA has been giving me the dreaded kohlrabi every week lately, so the squirrels have been happy too.

IMG_9469.thumb.jpg.65663ca77e5761c3f0c634a94273fe11.jpg

When making the tenderloins, do you remove the central tendon?  If so, how do you do it to keep the tenderloins looking whole?

Very happy that Moe is out of the hospital and you both finally got home.
B.C has had such a terrible year, the pandemic, the forest fires, and now the massive flooding. We have been watching and worrying about our friends and family living out west.
The devastation has been so horrific.

Now that Moe is back under your culinary care, his recovery will be on the up and up!

With roasting the NY strip roast, do you cook low and slow?
I have never cooked one; have only ever cooked prime rib.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

6 minutes ago, Dejah said:

Very happy that Moe is out of the hospital and you both finally got home.
B.C has had such a terrible year, the pandemic, the forest fires, and now the massive flooding. We have been watching and worrying about our friends and family living out west.
The devastation has been so horrific.

Now that Moe is back under your culinary care, his recovery will be on the up and up!

With roasting the NY strip roast, do you cook low and slow?
I have never cooked one; have only ever cooked prime rib.

@Dejah, Thank you.

Yes the devastation, especially over in the Fraser Valley is heartbreaking.  

No, low and slow doesn't work on a work day.  I always roast using the high heat method at 500°F . For beef, chicken, turkey, pork, etc...  Unless of course it

is for a pot roast or something that needs to be braised.  Been using the high heat method for about 25 years. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, KennethT said:

When making the tenderloins, do you remove the central tendon?  If so, how do you do it to keep the tenderloins looking whole?

I do take it out.  I use my fish boning knife to scrape it out with as little damage as possible.  I find you can kind of stick them back together with the flour/egg/breadcrumb coating if they get a little ragged.  Most importantly, I prepared 12 tenderloins, and only put the three best looking ones in the picture 😁

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4