• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2021

liuzhou

7 hours ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

FABULOUS RANGE!     What exactly is this?     i grew up with a dual stove, wood burning on one side, gas on the other, but not with that glorious glass door!    

It's an "Elda" made by J. A. Roby, Quebec, Canada.

https://www.jaroby.com/en/produits.php?id=249&cat=15&sec=1

It's not obvious from the pictures that the oven door is also glass. 

This is our third winter with it. It heats most of the house as well as being a fun/challenging cooking device.

• Like 6

Last Thursday, my birding buddy and I had dinner at The Blue Onion in Weslaco. We were down in the Rio Grande Valley for the annual RGV Birding Festival and this restaurant was recommended by a long time area resident as a favorite with birders. 👍 

9E5E70C4-B469-4D8A-BF72-2B9A8041C5E4.thumb.jpeg.ece0938ed0f3d855c441a159db1c7bfc.jpeg

D837211F-EACA-4068-B960-6DD6D1A1ED82.thumb.jpeg.84043a0b2fd99c01743c16ff78d6d597.jpeg

She had the Shrimp & Feta Salad, while I had the Gyro & Feta. 

BF771D3B-8760-4BCF-88B8-8FBD7A51DFC5.thumb.jpeg.f813f33917464592f591503efc952bbc.jpeg

• Like 12
  • Delicious 2

IMG_5563.thumb.jpeg.70bcb8b4e8926a6aede72eef92c32341.jpeg

Let's call this a faux-llabaisse.

Base of 3 slices bacon, leeks, onions, celery, carrots, garlic, tomato paste.  White wine, house-made fish/shrimp stock, bottled clam juice, tomatoes, saffron, espelette, bouquet garni, and potatoes. Right before serving, added cut up halibut, Pacific cod, Pacific rockfish (all 3 fish from Wild Alaska). This was delicious, and to my taste a perfect way to use that fish to its best advantage.

ETA: I forgot the bacon!

Edited by weinoo (log)
  • Like 10
  • Delicious 5

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

@weinooYour soup looks delicious.  I love that sort of thing.  I'm a little low on seafood at the moment but I do have some bass that I could use to make it......

@Ann_TI hope Moe is home safe and sound and eating your wonderful meals!

@DuvelSomeday I will get to try raclette.  It's on my bucket list.

@Kim ShookI've been really thinking about you.  I wish I could be your spokesperson and make all of the stress go away.  Hang in there.  I can send wine.

Today I plan to put away all of the fall decorations and start on Christmas.  I'm not sure what the plans are yet--the decor may be just for the two of us.  I might not go all out....but I have to have some things up and twinkle lights going.  Anyway, on to food:

Venison meatloaf, taters, made from mix brown gravy--I get a hankering for that.  Beans from ones that I canned.

thumbnail_IMG_1468.jpg.7281505ae74ce64e362025ebd832b64e.jpg

French dip sandwiches

thumbnail_IMG_1470.jpg.eb0ad2e3dabceef7edd8e2b4f0dbe40a.jpg

Terrible picture of really good roasted pin tail ducks that Ronnie got.

thumbnail_IMG_1472.jpg.09f851be2f636eb1ae1a6af71e1385e4.jpg

Turkey sandwiches with melty cheese

thumbnail_IMG_1474.jpg.068094857d1287faf558c4f76b441f4a.jpg

Lamb stew and some bread that I made.

thumbnail_IMG_1479.jpg.b1355ac5e471c6e4abd4dd65bc866f21.jpg

Sous vide then fried chicken.  Fresh beans done in the IP with some tomatoes.  The pile of tomatoes on the counter is greatly dwindling.

thumbnail_IMG_1486.jpg.09a14b343e12cbfb0c7da44835d727ca.jpg

Shrimp in a spicy tomato\caper sauce over some vinegar spinach with a salad

thumbnail_IMG_1487.jpg.6ff50d22405a6635ddbbff7a2d24ef02.jpg

And last night chicken quesadillas with canned refried beans because I was too lazy to make RG beans.  

thumbnail_IMG_1489.jpg.c8bf66ec4e2486fa1ccfdf28708bc661.jpg

• Like 15
  • Thanks 2
  • Delicious 3

10 hours ago, heidih said:

I just spent time talking about the nuances of dialects faced by interpreters and thought of you and then this lovely re-purpose of your pork shoulder popped up. I would welcome a seat at your table anytime.

And you are welcome at my table anytime you want to venture north!
You mentioned nuances of dialects faced by interpreters, I worked for a company down in Tuscon, via 3 way telephone for many years. This was a service for Tosianese and Cantonese speakers all over the USA.  Cantonese not so much, but Toisanese varies from village to village! It's particularly difficult in the early mornings, like 3 or 4 am when my brain is hardly awake.
Now, the difficulty of nuances is not so much in dialect, it's what my husband interprets as to what I am cooking for supper. LOL!

• Haha 2

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Udon noodle soup with soy braised king oyster mushrooms, spinach, and some fish balls I made from the not well liked by us local redfish that my fish share sometimes gives me.  The flavor is good but it is very bony, so I usually grind it for prep like this or cook it, flake it, and make it into fish cakes.  This and pollock are my family's least favorite fishes from the share.  Luckily they do not give either to us often.  

1580235289_fishballsoup.thumb.jpg.7101771ac303e55f5f29981bf7cffd44.jpg

• Like 13
  • Delicious 3

18 hours ago, Dejah said:

What to do with a massive amount of leftover roast pork?                                                                     

Make some sauerkraut and chop up some cooked pork roast and stir it in to heat it up. Serve with dumplings* and some potato pancakes.

Along with the sauerkraut theme, you could make a knock-off Reuben sandwich with the roasted pork and call it a "Duvel". :B xD

*Not Asian pot sticker dumplings but more along the lines of "Chicken and Dumplings".

Edited by Toliver
Clarification (log)
  • Haha 6

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

24 minutes ago, liamsaunt said:

Udon noodle soup with soy braised king oyster mushrooms, spinach, and some fish balls I made from the not well liked by us local redfish that my fish share sometimes gives me.  The flavor is good but it is very bony, so I usually grind it for prep like this or cook it, flake it, and make it into fish cakes.  This and pollock are my family's least favorite fishes from the share.  Luckily they do not give either to us often.  

Thanks fr the idea on the pollock. I get it cheap frozen but sort of tasteless. The fish balls in Udon noodle soup appeals. Next go round I'll try it.

• Like 2

On a recent trip to  French Polynesia

"For a three hour tour,
A three hour tour :           :)

I thought I would enlighten you on how coconut oil is made over there>

The open the coconuts/ drain the water/  then they bake them in the sun or many days .  which dries the milk then they press the mash to get the oil.

51686976711_a81ff2f95e_m.jpg

T

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Its good to have Morels

1 hour ago, Paul Bacino said:

On a recent trip to  French Polynesia

"For a three hour tour,
A three hour tour :           :)

I thought I would enlighten you on how coconut oil is made over there>

The open the coconuts/ drain the water/  then they bake them in the sun or many days .  which dries the milk then they press the mash to get the oil.

51686976711_a81ff2f95e_m.jpg

T

Fascinating. At least you made it back v Gilligan and gang. What a classic

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, heidih said:

Fascinating. At least you made it back v Gilligan and gang. What a classic

Yes, but Ginger got to be stuck on a tropical island with Mary Ann.  I'd say "At least you made it back compared to the anova nerds."

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

It's been SO windy here the last 2 days, wind @+75 km/hr, with gusts at +100 km. Thought I might have ended up at @Shelby's table (Kansas?) I wouldn't mind with the fare that she puts on her table!
Instead, I made Chicken Cordon Bleu with a whole grain Dijon mustard sauce. More Cavendish fries that I add the leftover toasted Panko crumbs on top.
Had picked up lots of bags of frozen veg, and they are so handy when I don't have a good variety of fresh.

832387870_ChickenCordonBleu5772.jpg.ca2da796fb88765019a47c0f3e74be71.jpg

• Like 14
  • Delicious 2

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

8 hours ago, Dejah said:

IHad picked up lots of bags of frozen veg, and they are so handy when I don't have a good variety of fresh.

832387870_ChickenCordonBleu5772.jpg.ca2da796fb88765019a47c0f3e74be71.jpg

Gosh that mixed vegetable combo takes me back to childhood.  I thought I was "all that' when I decided to toss it with margarine (no butter allowed in this miserable household - diet diet) with green can parmesan. 

• Like 4

@Dejah 

I appreciate your approach 

to Fz Veg.  they are always in the supermarkets

and sometimes in our freezers.

If forgotten in the Personal Freezer 

and not re-bagged w your ChamberVac :

they do dry out.

Ive done this :

take a day or two portion out of the FzBag

and place the FG's in cold water

to both thaw and ' rehydrate '

works well , and then micro .

are these FG's as tasty as your Gardens ?

your CSA ?

nope.

but they will always be there , ready for you

the cold water soak does rehydrate them

and that fine for me.

in my area 

Market Basket  has their generic 

Vegetable Mix  in two versions :

w LimaBeans and w/o.

I get the w/o

someday , Ill imagine myself

down @  DeewpRunRoots