• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2021

liuzhou

Picked up a skin-on bone-in pork shoulder roast. 8 hours @250, then blasted after @500FR t6o blister the skin. SO much meat! Son and grandson will be up to grab  most of it tomorrow. Roasted Japanese sweet tater, carrots, and zucchini spears.

Had Lotus Root and dried octopus soup for lunch earlier in the day.
After 4 hours:                                                             1695933285_PorkShoulderPicnic5750.jpg.50bab29554c73172f460ca8f994f6c00.jpg

After 8 hours @250F, then @500F for 10 minutes859114367_Blistered5752.jpg.6e560ac294d774f180e45a11d264a4de.jpg

Gravy & apple sauce                                                 1334122332_RoastPork5756.jpg.f80225f2ab5ef2b688200132cbec0f6c.jpg                   

Lotus Root and Octopus Soup                                 1326456707_LotusRootSoup5749.jpg.b2aeadea1834e084e257353f85007f7e.jpg

• Like 14
  • Delicious 4

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

1 hour ago, Dejah said:

Picked up a skin-on bone-in pork shoulder roast. 8 hours @250, then blasted after @500FR t6o blister the skin. SO much meat! Son and grandson will be up to grab  most of it tomorrow. Roasted Japanese sweet tater, carrots, and zucchini spears.

Had Lotus Root and dried octopus soup for lunch earlier in the day.
After 4 hours:                                                             1695933285_PorkShoulderPicnic5750.jpg.50bab29554c73172f460ca8f994f6c00.jpg

After 8 hours @250F, then @500F for 10 minutes859114367_Blistered5752.jpg.6e560ac294d774f180e45a11d264a4de.jpg

Gravy & apple sauce                                                 1334122332_RoastPork5756.jpg.f80225f2ab5ef2b688200132cbec0f6c.jpg                   

Lotus Root and Octopus Soup                                 1326456707_LotusRootSoup5749.jpg.b2aeadea1834e084e257353f85007f7e.jpg

Unbelievably beautiful.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

14 hours ago, Duvel said:

Yeap. 18 h@68 oC, chilled overnight, then 25 min@230 oC fan assisted oven to crisp up …

So I am almost certain I am being dense but did you actually confit the legs? That is were they cured before being cooked? I am asking because I have a couple of duck legs in the freezer that I would like to cook but I don’t particularly want to confit.   

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

1 minute ago, Anna N said:

So I am almost certain I am being dense but did you actually confit the legs? That is were they cured before being cooked? I am asking because I have a couple of duck legs in the freezer that I would like to cook but I don’t particularly want to confit.   

They were not cured before. From my experience with proper salting* before bagging the long SV time produces something similar to a confit (texture- and flavorwise). They definitely are tender and flavorful …

* plus pepper, cloves, juniper berries, bayleaf and star anise. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Paul Bacino said:

Recent trip to Bora Bora.  Poussin Cru  !!

Tuna/coconut milk/ cucumber/jalapeno/red onion/ lime juice/tomato-- ceviche in effect

51683561967_3c1e2eb464_b.jpg

Of course an eGer just happens to land in Bora Bora in a Pandemic ;)  Looks like served in a mature coconut shell. Was the coconut flesh soft ennough to still scoop or just a vessel? Is that a nicely ripe passion fruit on the left. Just eaten alongside? Thanks!

15 minutes ago, heidih said:

Of course an eGer just happens to land in Bora Bora in a Pandemic ;)  Looks like served in a mature coconut shell. Was the coconut flesh soft ennough to still scoop or just a vessel? Is that a nicely ripe passion fruit on the left. Just eaten alongside? Thanks!

The Passion fruit  was super killer-- bitter/  tart and sweet/  it might have a texture that could be off putting.  Not me.

So with the coconuts/  u shake them/ if they have liquid/ good to go.  Most of the meat was hard/ u could cut it diagonally in strips or you can scrape it/  which flakes( grates ) it and that is squeezer for the milk 

• Like 1

Its good to have Morels

1 hour ago, Paul Bacino said:

The Passion fruit  was super killer-- bitter/  tart and sweet/  it might have a texture that could be off putting.  Not me.

So with the coconuts/  u shake them/ if they have liquid/ good to go.  Most of the meat was hard/ u could cut it diagonally in strips or you can scrape it/  which flakes( grates ) it and that is squeezer for the milk 

Thanks. I am a coconut long timer - I just wondered if in the ceviche it was part  of the experience. Passion fruit is quite powerful.  I picked some yellow up at a local flea market once  - put the bag in the back seat and scent!  Hence the name ;) intoxicating. 

I lucked into some Pacific wild cod at $3.50/lb frozen. Second dish today, Yesterday was a coconut based chipotle corn and potatoes. Like a sorta chowder. Surprisingly I used canned sweet corn. Our fresh corn this year was useless and the frozen both was chewy and tasteless. So today a mustard based sauce again with coconut (gotta use it up) The fish was just mushed up a bit to become part of he sauce along with windowsill basil.. Not much color but here ya go with rice and kale salad. I am happy.

cod.JPG

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Anna N said:

There are a myriad versions of faux confit, here Melissa Clark's.    Essentially, season and bake.   

eGullet member #80.

6 minutes ago, Wait. Wot said:

Tonight's porterhouse seared the way my great grandmother would have done.

PXL_20211117_011742277.thumb.jpg.a9e85124e45346d783ea5c3f1bec1c56.jpg

FABULOUS RANGE!     What exactly is this?     i grew up with a dual stove, wood burning on one side, gas on the other, but not with that glorious glass door!    

• Like 1

eGullet member #80.

6 hours ago, Anna N said:

I highly recommend Mark Bittman's NY Times crisp-braised duck legs with aromatic vegetables.  Even for me an easy recipe.

https://forums.egullet.org/topic/161954-dinner-2021/?do=findComment&comment=2307933

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

2 hours ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

There are a myriad versions of faux confit, here Melissa Clark's.    Essentially, season and bake.   

Thank you. I have done duck confit many times. As I said, that was not my aim. 

• Thanks 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

30 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I highly recommend Mark Bittman's NY Times crisp-braised duck legs with aromatic vegetables.  Even for me an easy recipe.

https://forums.egullet.org/topic/161954-dinner-2021/?do=findComment&comment=2307933

Thank you. I have a very similar recipe which I adore but I was much more interested in time and temperature to cook duck legs sous vide without the confit step. 
edited to add that I will just use the time and temperature given and skip the salting. 

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My 2004 eG Blog

What to do with a massive amount of leftover roast pork? Give most to the grandson and his GF.
Tonight, I used some cubed in a green curry with eggplant, sugar snap peas ('cos I had them) and some frozen peas. I love curry leaves, so tossed some in.
It was all made in one pot, and we enjoyed it with some diced tomato, cilantro, and jasmine rice.
The rest of the pork will be eaten as sandwiched for lunch!

1525403085_PorkGreenCurry5759.jpg.3cb637b83a7d12d02e4b1f5a1ecd92cf.jpg

• Like 10
  • Delicious 1

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

53 minutes ago, Dejah said:

What to do with a massive amount of leftover roast pork? Give most to the grandson and his GF.
Tonight, I used some cubed in a green curry with eggplant, sugar snap peas ('cos I had them) and some frozen peas. I love curry leaves, so tossed some in.
It was all made in one pot, and we enjoyed it with some diced tomato, cilantro, and jasmine rice.
The rest of the pork will be eaten as sandwiched for lunch!

1525403085_PorkGreenCurry5759.jpg.3cb637b83a7d12d02e4b1f5a1ecd92cf.jpg

I just spent time talking about the nuances of dialects faced by interpreters and thought of you and then this lovely re-purpose of your pork shoulder popped up. I would welcome a seat at your table anytime.

• Like 1