• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2021

liuzhou

6 hours ago, Dante said:

May I ask what made what you had so distinctive?  

The soup was made with fresh tomatoes grown in Iceland. It was creamy with small chunks of tomato and it was very flavorful. The sandwich was made with icelandic sheep's milk cheese on artisanal bread made in house. It was in a funky, second floor walk-up coffee shop.

We went back to Iceland in 2018 and found the building, but the coffee shop was no longer there.

• Delicious 1

41 minutes ago, Norm Matthews said:

I made some Buffalo wings.  The double jointed ones are duck wings. I thought they would take longer and half way through, they didn't look like they were as done but at the end, they were way over cooked.

roasted duck stock?

• Like 1

Dinner11062021.jpg

Lamb Shanks with Saffron and Rosewater from Vivek Singh's book Curry (pp118,119).  If not in "best things I have eaten" category, surely it is close.

Will I make the recipe again?  Not sure.  I finished dinner sometime after 4:00 am.  This is a restaurant dish, not a Jo's apartment kitchen dish.

• Like 15
  • Delicious 5
  • Haha 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

12 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Lamb Shanks with Saffron and Rosewater from Vivek Singh's book Curry (pp118,119).  If not in "best things I have eaten" category, surely it is close.

Will I make the recipe again?  Not sure.  I finished dinner sometime after 4:00 am.  This is a restaurant dish, not a Jo's apartment kitchen dish.

Looks magnificent, though.  Tell me about the sauce?

1 hour ago, Dante said:
Black pepper tofu over mesclun
Accompanied by goofy rescued cup

20211031_175449.jpg

I'm sure there is some tiki drink meant for that.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Dante said:

Looks magnificent, though.  Tell me about the sauce?

The sauce is an onion tomato sauce.  Black cardamom pods, cinnamon sticks, mace blades, cloves are toasted in hot oil.  The tomatoes and onions are added along with bay leaf and chilli and cooked down for 20 minutes with added water.  The mixture is pureed and strained,

The sauce is added to the lamb shanks (which have their own set of preparations) and braised with garam masala till the meat is falling off the bone.  The sauce is then strained, enriched with cream and sugar, and reduced till thick.  Saffron and rosewater are added -- along with mace, cardamom, and nutmeg, as well as fresh cilantro.  The sauce is poured over the lamb as shown.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 3

I needed to make something hearty, but couldn’t spend a lot of time in the kitchen. Baked risotto (yes, I acknowledge it’s not “real” risotto if not cooked stovetop and the texture isn’t as nice) with bay scallops and julienned endive salad. Wound up being kind of a beige dinner, but tasty.

• Like 6

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

This is a sort of riff on something my mother often did with leftover mince and tatties. She wouldn't recognise my take. Her version was just leftover minced beef and potatoes reheated next day with a poached egg on top.

I subbed rice for the tatties and made the beef from fresh. Minced it by hand (hachéed to be precise) and Asiafied it by marinating it with garlic, chilli, Shaoxing wine and Vietnamese fish sauce. Fried that with finely diced carrot and green onion tops. Finished with the whites of the 'green' onions and a little potato starch slurry.

Not pretty, but tasty.

微信图片_20211107203554.jpg

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 15

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

14 hours ago, alwaysdrawing said:

Stuffed shells and salad. Old school Betty Crocker type stuff…with homemade marinara. 

That looks so tasty

@liuzhou Actually I think it looks like pretty.   I bet that would also be good in a lettuce cup.  Makes my mouth water.

@Margaret Pilgrim, nice combination. 

526947088_ChickenCurrywithAlooGobiNovember4th2021.thumb.jpg.df07c9759c929411f42f60cd1d7a8857.jpg

I promised to make Moe curry again so started both a chicken curry and Aloo Gobi before leaving for work on Thursday.

Just had to reheat and cook the rice and make the chapti.

872698090_WalcanDeliveryNovember5th20211.thumb.jpg.53dba6ed850e3fb4cd312ea3d6edfa49.jpg

Thursday morning I  order more halibut from Walcan Seafood, along with Petrale Sole. 

363749509_WalcanDeliveryPetraleSoleNovember5th20211.thumb.jpg.ed37c7d1df2575c8fa4d0cba7262d885.jpg

It was delivered to the door before 8:00 AM Friday.

1448654069_HalibutFishandChipsNovember6th2021.thumb.jpg.cdb21006da84ff5a197b1ff070f4d879.jpg

Moe requested fish and chips again so that is what we had last night. 

Edited by Ann_T (log)
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 6

26 minutes ago, Ann_T said:

Actually I think it looks like pretty.   I bet that would also be good in a lettuce cup.  Makes my mouth water.

Thank you. Yes, I've done something very similar in lettuce cups in the past. Almost a laab.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Getting a head start on a roast chicken dinner.

126329420_SageDressingNovemberr7th2021.thumb.jpg.bdf369f9a59f505005738e859fbd560c.jpg

Just made the dressing. Needs to be spooned into a casserole dish and Moe will put it in the

CSO before I get home from work.

Presalted a 4lb chicken yesterday and it is now air drying in the fridge.

I've asked Moe or Matt to take it out of the fridge around 4:00 and have the oven preheated to 500°F before

I get home from work.   Chicken will take about 45 to 50 minutes and will  rest while the sides cook and the gravy simmers. 

• Like 11
  • Delicious 5

44 minutes ago, Norm Matthews said:

I was at an Asian Market to get short ribs and saw a package of duck wings and thought I'd try them along with the Buffalo wings I was planning to do anyway.

I meant since they were "over done" they could repurpose as stock for a nice soup.

Back at home after a short stint in Berlin. Still reminiscing about the food there, I made pork knuckle and potatoes in a different way …

Pork knuckle massaman curry simmering away …

F69CF325-A25A-4D5F-A9BF-37EB5587BB24.thumb.jpeg.13976d98e3b993da48c175cf17d358a4.jpeg

Served with bomba rice from the Zojirushi (because I didn’t plan properly) and condiments …

244B7857-14F4-4E3E-B4AC-1CFDD684693B.thumb.jpeg.ac00fa3796c274597c2738afa889489a.jpeg

Served with a dark Bock from Lower Saxony (that worked pretty well) …

D67AA120-2156-45BD-90F0-D9208303BC94.thumb.jpeg.fed1408d21f9286863a4cb49f484f938.jpeg

Edited by Duvel (log)
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

Steamed eggs, with fresh roe sacs, mince and chopped salted mustard/turnips (the kind that's preserved whole in salt and turns brown, typical in Hakka cuisine). North Sea shrimp are added before eating. Earthen pots are Cretan yogurt pots, holds 500ml of yogurt each. The pots are glazed on the inside only.

FKIMXks.jpg

NealwHX.jpg

Squash simmered in kelp and dashi. In Okinawa they put spam in it but I don't like spam.

VbaLDDE.jpg

The squash I used in photo below. Not sure what it's called. Dense flesh, very sweet. Only like dense fleshed and sweet with depth winter squashes.

vXG72ZE.jpg

On 10/31/2021 at 8:41 PM, heidih said:

Wow that is a gorgeous vibrant kale field! I've ridden through cabbage fields - distinctive odor. Kale? 

The kale that I portioned and vacuum sealed releases an intense smell when the bag is cut open. To me it's a sweet smell.

Also Urbock, @Duvel

Presents to myself had arrived yesterday. My love for Bamberg is deep and unconditional.

dCcW0X0.jpg

m0vOKYZ.jpg

Drinking the Schnapps now

5ZPWt42.jpg

Edited by BonVivant (log)
  • Like 14
  • Delicious 1

Friday night we lucked into 2 seats at the bar at Ernesto's down the block. 15 minutes later, not a seat to be had...

IMG_5479.thumb.jpeg.b9993b01d07d390c08d178d58c36b3f2.jpeg

We shared a few croquetas and a salad heavy on roasted wild mushrooms. I was especially happy with my main...

IMG_5481.thumb.jpeg.a0e2385b5e99e3638ba653d95a800401.jpeg

A big hunk of roasted suckling pig, with the crispy skin - so good. 

Which of course meant something a little lighter last night...

IMG_5482.thumb.jpeg.9d189e47ee614632a7f1419aeb9702b2.jpeg

Linguini with cockles and tomato stuff.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 4

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

16 minutes ago, weinoo said:

A big hunk of roasted suckling pig, with the crispy skin - so good. 

That looks so good ☺️

Suckling pig is on offer next week at my butchers … maybe it’s time to impress the in-laws !

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2