• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2021

liuzhou

21 hours ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

@weinoodid you ever have the ribolleta at SF's Delfina?    It was super condensed, then fried as a patty.    Intensely delicious but sounds like labor intensive for home cook.    Yours, BTW, is gorgeous.

While I had some great food at Delfina (years ago), I never tried their ribollita.  Mine is getting to the point (after a couple of reheats) where I think that could be managed.

• Like 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

I had to look that up. First link came up Ribollita "Da Delfina". Fried soup. A restaurant just outside of Florence. HERE

Tuesday night braised boneless skinless chicken thighs with lots of veg became a planned chicken and Marcella bean chili last night. Quick pickled fennel and red onion. Gorgonzola. 

IMG_1419.thumb.jpeg.cff9dc9471a89fa955185255c4d4f1ab.jpeg

Edited by Annie_H (log)
  • Like 10
  • Delicious 1

SO does a protein smoothie so I do a steak. Bone in strip steak with red wine mushroom sauce, steamed brown rice and New Zealand spinach. Steak was SVed at 123F for two hours and seared an antique CIFP at 500F for 90 seconds per side.

Streamer with brown rice and New Zealand spinach cooking. The steak is in a pot of water in the sink, awaiting its time in the CIFP.

PXL_20211103_232639335.thumb.jpg.cf53fbbe4020cd923d37bbaecd232bdd.jpg

Plated

PXL_20211103_234018909.thumb.jpg.7c6635a92acf2f33e5f6f42c6bcff47b.jpg

New Zealand spinach is from our garden.

• Like 14
  • Delicious 1

Pinto beans cooked in the crockpot. A source with good turnover. Plump and creamy with Herdez Ranchera sauce, tomato paste, oregano, and other spices from the start, plus some coconut cream for richness. Had with Calrose rice in the Zo, and https://forums.egullet.org/topic/156711-kaybs-cole-slaw-jail-slaw/ from a few days ago. Very happy comfort inducing food. ETA: there were 2 big smoked turkey drumette bones in the pot with a bit of meat on them. 

Edited by heidih (log)
  • Like 8

Khachapuri adjaruli, with plenty of cheeses, and an egg.

Khachapuri guriani, with hard boiled eggs, cheese, and scallions.

Simple bread baked from the same dough.

Salad with spinach, tomato, cucumber, onion, walnuts, pomegranate, cold pressed sunflower oil, wine vinegar.

Yellow pea pkhali - split peas, walnuts, garlic, spices (mostly coriander seed, fenugreek), tarragon.

Semi-dry (more of a semi-sweet, IMO) Georgian kindzmarauli.

PXL_20211031_191427468.thumb.jpeg.b40e0289965163154f7006f619fb97fb.jpeg

PXL_20211030_182228190.jpeg

PXL_20211030_182808763.jpeg

PXL_20211031_185643202.MP.jpg

• Like 12
  • Delicious 8

~ Shai N.

On 10/30/2021 at 9:57 AM, lindag said:

I've cooked it and it's good...tastes to me a bit like turnips.

I have eaten and grown Kohlrabi since I was a kid.    Best way?  Raw.  Thinly sliced.  Cold.  Salt and pepper.  Thank me later.  Crisp, cool, savory, healthy, a bit sweetness, the salt pulls it out, the pepper accentuates its savoriness.   

Cooked?  It is like a turnip.

You also can make Kohlrabi slaw.   It is best raw, not cooked.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

3 hours ago, Owtahear said:

I have eaten and grown Kohlrabi since I was a kid.    Best way?  Raw.  Thinly sliced.  Cold.  Salt and pepper.  Thank me later.  Crisp, cool, savory, healthy, a bit sweetness, the salt pulls it out, the pepper accentuates its savoriness.   

Cooked?  It is like a turnip.

You also can make Kohlrabi slaw.   It is best raw, not cooked.

Totally agree, best raw, paper-thin, cold, salted. It never occurred to me to grind some pepper on it, but that's probably because growing up my mother never put anything on it but salt. I'll try pepper.  I've used it julienned in stir-fry, usually when I'm running out of the usual suspects, and it retains some crunch but lacks flavor.  Perhaps some of those who heap insults on kohlrabi have only had old overgrown examples. When it's woody and dried out it's pretty unappealing, but fresh and tender it has a delicious character. @Duvelyou must have had  a traumatic encounter with a kohlrabi as a child. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Katie Meadow said:

Totally agree, best raw, paper-thin, cold, salted. It never occurred to me to grind some pepper on it, but that's probably because growing up my mother never put anything on it but salt. I'll try pepper.  I've used it julienned in stir-fry, usually when I'm running out of the usual suspects, and it retains some crunch but lacks flavor.  Perhaps some of those who heap insults on kohlrabi have only had old overgrown examples. When it's woody and dried out it's pretty unappealing, but fresh and tender it has a delicious character. @Duvelyou must have had  a traumatic encounter with a kohlrabi as a child. 

Why?  Was Jacques Pepin also responsible for little kids' restaurant dishes in Lower Saxony?

Seriously, I used to grow kohlrabi.  Burpee seduced me.  Kohlrabi is beautiful.  I just never figured out how to eat it.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Shrimp Tacos - Shrimps very briefly sautéed in a mixture of tomatoes, onions, jalapeño, garlic, ketchup and lime juice. Tortillas were brushed with some oil, then some shredded cheese and the shrimp mixture added and heated in the oven for a few minutes until the tortillas gained a little bit of crunch. Finished with avocado, cilantro and shredded lettuce.

FD5734A8-F791-4AE8-BE48-DB97F216EA93.thumb.jpeg.6f2bd89efd582890a8471d932dd2f960.jpeg

• Like 11

On 10/27/2021 at 9:12 PM, Wait. Wot said:

Puts me in mind of tomato soup and grilled cheese I had in Reykjavik, Iceland, 8 years ago next month

Thanks for dredging that memory up for me.

May I ask what made what you had so distinctive?