• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2021

liuzhou

My fish share offered local tuna as a special this week so we got some.  I marinated it briefly in yuzu and oyster sauce, coated it in Everything but the Bagel seasoning and then seared it.  I served it over soba noodles and bok choy tossed in a dressing made from miso, rice wine vinegar, mirin, ginger, cilantro, garlic, chili garlic sauce, etc.

1091967094_tunanoodlebowl.thumb.jpg.d82ce358dffdcfe52a20e8f8b85a34fa.jpg

• Like 20
  • Delicious 3

52 minutes ago, Dante said:

52 minutes ago, Dante said:
Grilled cheese (muenster, mortadella, and leftover black garlic aioli) with tomato soup.

20211027_190456.jpg

Puts me in mind of tomato soup and grilled cheese I had in Reykjavik, Iceland, 8 years ago next month

Thanks for dredging that memory up for me.

Edited by Wait. Wot (log)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I started dinner before leaving for work this morning.
1924284494_IndianChickenCurryOctober27th20211.thumb.jpg.9582f15e6a6908d964d27591195ee41e.jpg

Indian Chicken curry. Another one of Moe's favourites and one
I haven't made in a while.
When I got home from work, I put a pot of water to to boil for the basmati rice and put the curry back on the stove , cut up a couple of russet potatoes and added to the curry. And while the potatoes and rice were cooking, made the dough for the Chapati and let it rest.
I love chapati with homemade curry. And they are so easy to make. They bake in just a minute or two.
  • Like 12
  • Delicious 3

Salmon, made on the NFG.  Just about the best I have ever had, crispy on the outside but juicy and flaky on the inside, and done in 6 minutes not counting pre-heat.  Served with steamed Brussels sprouts with butter.

nfg-salmon.jpg.1673408df254b49c519c85e1b034ac0c.jpg

• Like 12
  • Delicious 3

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

We combined our back-to-back Birthday Meals into a splurge dinner in downtown Guadalajara at Bruna Restaurante.  Started with a mojito....it was wrapped in what I thought was Saran Wrap...but was actually sweetened gelatin.  Not sure why, but it was interesting and tasty.  

Beautiful evening on terrace overlooking jardín.  Very hip spot, pricey but worth it.  NYC or SFO quality, service, ambiance.  Still a bargain compared to those cities.  With drinks, wine and dessert it came to just under $100 USD equivalent with tax and tip.  

Translation courtesy of Google Translate.

PIGGY BABY ROSE 250gr.  Lechón de 21 días de edad, confitado por 12 horas, montado sobre mole rosa de la casa con arroz negro silvestre y elotes baby horneados, espolvoreado con tierra de mole dulce y ceniza de cebolla. Servido con tortillas azul recién hechas.  21-day-old suckling pig, confit for 12 hours, mounted on house pink mole with wild black rice and baked baby corn, sprinkled with sweet mole soil and onion ash. Served with freshly made blue tortillas.

MEJILLONES THAI 36 piezas de mejillones en salsa cremosa de curry con un toque de coco y vino blanco, acompañado de pan con ajo tostado. 36 pieces of mussels in a creamy curry sauce with a touch of coconut and white wine, accompanied by toasted garlic bread.

SEIS TEXTURAS DE CHOCOLATE  Encuentro entre el viejo y el nuevo mundo, chocolate belga y chocolate Oaxaqueño en 6 texturas de chocolate. Encounter between the old and the new world, Belgian chocolate and Oaxacan chocolate in 6 chocolate textures.

mojbruna.jpg

musselsbruna.jpg

platebruna.jpg

viewtablebruna.jpg

dinnerbruna.jpg

6chocobruna.jpg

• Like 16
  • Delicious 4

@gulfporterHappy Birthday!

@Margaret PilgrimI love fried shrimp and yours look perfect.

@DuvelYummmmmm on the melty cheese.

It's finally feeling like fall here.  I've been craving cabbage rolls for a long time.  Got a head of nice Napa from either Imperfect or Misfits and still have tons of garden tomatoes so it all fell into place.

thumbnail_IMG_1429.jpg.e506d62e565d910ad6b8e43f5a1e1fd1.jpg

Roasted fingerling potatoes and corn from this summers crop to go with.

thumbnail_IMG_1430.jpg.be75a084823196b25ae96143ce704a28.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_1431.jpg.f6612537cd0ad9a85b56c1b72397afea.jpg

Ronnie has been wanting livers and gizzards so we did some on the grill and some fried.

thumbnail_IMG_1433.jpg.2fe6e95106b905ccc1328d216e1874e0.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_1434.jpg.d71268b1f0afc3faed07388276f2c940.jpg

Was able to order some delicata squash--first time ever trying it.  I loved it.  I didn't think Ronnie would, but he liked it too.  Just roasted in the CSO wth some garlic, olive oil, salt and pepper.  Roasted chicken too.

thumbnail_IMG_1442.jpg.dda74f94c19202fc8ea26b9a40fa8f96.jpg

Yesterday it poured all day long and it was cold.  Seafood soup--chowder--stew--something like that.  I used shrimp, oysters, crappie and some canned clams.  Hit the spot.  Bread on @Ann_T's beautiful board.

thumbnail_IMG_1443.jpg.299820b2b7e505ea98b0f62fd5746c8a.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_1445.jpg.ab69d343d523780fe98a0b1ab864254b.jpg

We are under a high wind warning today--sustained north winds of 35 mph with gusts to sixty.  Even for KS that's kinda windy.  Might be soup night again....

• Like 14
  • Delicious 3

1 hour ago, gulfporter said:

We combined our back-to-back Birthday Meals into a splurge dinner in downtown Guadalajara at Bruna Restaurante.  Started with a mojito....it was wrapped in what I thought was Saran Wrap...but was actually sweetened gelatin.  Not sure why, but it was interesting and tasty.  

Beautiful evening on terrace overlooking jardín.  Very hip spot, pricey but worth it.  NYC or SFO quality, service, ambiance.  Still a bargain compared to those cities.  With drinks, wine and dessert it came to just under $100 USD equivalent with tax and tip.  

PIGGY BABY ROSE 250gr.  Lechón de 21 días de edad, confitado por 12 horas, montado sobre mole rosa de la casa con arroz negro silvestre y elotes baby horneados, espolvoreado con tierra de mole dulce y ceniza de cebolla. Servido con tortillas azul recién hechas.  21-day-old suckling pig, confit for 12 hours, mounted on house pink mole with wild black rice and baked baby corn, sprinkled with sweet mole soil and onion ash. Served with freshly made blue tortillas.

MEJILLONES THAI 36 piezas de mejillones en salsa cremosa de curry con un toque de coco y vino blanco, acompañado de pan con ajo tostado. 36 pieces of mussels in a creamy curry sauce with a touch of coconut and white wine, accompanied by toasted garlic bread.

SEIS TEXTURAS DE CHOCOLATE  Encuentro entre el viejo y el nuevo mundo, chocolate belga y chocolate Oaxaqueño en 6 texturas de chocolate. Encounter between the old and the new world, Belgian chocolate and Oaxacan chocolate in 6 chocolate textures.

mojbruna.jpg

musselsbruna.jpg

platebruna.jpg

viewtablebruna.jpg

dinnerbruna.jpg

6chocobruna.jpg

Is it common in Mexico to list dishes on a menu with the weight/count of the primary protein?

1 hour ago, gulfporter said:

mojbruna.jpg

musselsbruna.jpg

platebruna.jpg

viewtablebruna.jpg

dinnerbruna.jpg

6chocobruna.jpg

Mussels look small but nicely plump. I like the plates but bit blindingly busy with the food on them.  They would look good with your lovely kitchen. That image is hugely displayed in my Kroger market with the Mexican beers. Dia de Lod Muertos theming I guess.

This was ok. Weenie cod portions. Miso/soy/ginger marinated. Small Alaskan cod fillets. I'm used to the big Atlantic cod. Gave the potatoes and golden beets a big head start so all was cooked properly. Well seasoned but missed the wow factor. At least it was a healthy meal.1770105737_ScreenShot2021-10-28at9_30_32AM.thumb.png.1068a357505347bf6ef58db21e36e612.png

• Like 8

IMG_5409.thumb.jpeg.623f70357daf99f5f08c182b4737cfcd.jpeg

Chriashi with sockeye salmon, Alaskan halibut, Pacific cod, and crabmeat. An interesting squiggle of wasabi. And sautéed cabbage and carrots. 

The fin fish was poached in a court bouillon.

• Like 10
  • Haha 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

3 hours ago, KennethT said:

Is it common in Mexico to list dishes on a menu with the weight/count of the primary protein?

Yes for steaks, beef, pork, almost always.   

This place attracts mostly young people, many in the growing tech industry.  A few small older business groups, too.  

Sharing items and serving small plates are somewhat new here in upscale places like this. 

I think showing grams or a count gives the diners some insight into how much to order, what's shareable.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Duvel said:

Could you elaborate on that mole ? I haven’t encountered a pink one yet …

I had to look that up!  The waiter called it Mole' Rosa and did say it had chocolate' blanco (white chocolate) in it.  It was mild, yet had good flavor, I could taste the nuts, etc.  I kinda thought it was a gimmick, but turns out Pink Mole' is from Taxco. 

Here's a recipe that "reads" well to me.  Whether it is same/similar to what I had, not sure. https://mealthy.com/recipes/2104/pressure-cooker-authentic-pink-mole-with-pork

Edited by gulfporter (log)
  • Thanks 2

I had printed out some recipes to think about trying. One was for cheeseburger soup.   I decided not to make it until Charlie saw it and said OOOOH that looks good. At first I thought it had too much cheese (if you consider Velveeta a cheese)  but I had misread the recipe. It said 2 to 4 cups, not 2 to 4 pounds like it first thought. Yet two cups is still a lot.  Charlie liked it. I thought it was OK. I think it should have  been a little thinner.  I used a scant two cups.

20211028_131422.jpg

• Like 11
  • Delicious 1